Passive intake noise?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Elfeen, Jul 25, 2017.

1. I've designed my own little grow room in a converted shed essentially and I've had noise problems for a while now. I've assumed it's my fan from the beginning but today I've been wondering if it could be my passive intake instead? I'm fairly sure that it's too small for the fan that I use but what kind of effect does that have on the tent. I've heard the fan struggles but never anything about intake noise

2. Your passive air intake should be about 3x the diameter of your exhaust.
    On top of that I use a speed controller set to low.
    You can also make a muffler for your exhaust to quiet it down more

• Like Like x 1
  3. My exhaust is literally 6" and I have a single 6" intake. I can knock holes in my wall fairly easily though, do you think it'd help the whooshing sounds adding one or two more intakes?

4. This is also probably going to sound stupid but would it help with heat too?

5. I'd toss a booster fan on your intake instead in that case. Can get one for $15-20.

6. If you have too much negative pressure currently, yes it would help with heat, and likely some noise too, tho inline fans are generally pretty loud due to the amount of air they push.

7. I've got another intake literally ready to go, I just need to knock the hole out and it's already got a vent and everything. I'll see how much difference that makes after I hook it up and if it's noticeable then I have no issues knocking out more because it's literally a wooden shed and i'd like to keep fan noise as low as possible