Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Parents False Views On Marijuana

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by gudino26, May 29, 2014.

1. Okay, my parents always overreact when they catch me with pot. The main reason they believe pot will make me a bad kid is because they think I will turn out to be like my brother who was caught up recently for having a needle in his arm. He was bailed out for that but went back not even a month later for being caught on camera stealing alcohol from the local grocery store. The thing they don't realize is I am nothing like my brother. When he was younger he hung out with bad kids and always snuck out. I have never snuck out in my life and I always work for my dad and have never done any other drug besides pot. I just feel like they're overreacting when it comes to me smoking pot because it helps with my insomnia and relieves so much stress. I've showed them research but they always go back to the fact it's illegal. I've brought up all the amazing things you can use with hemp like fuel, clothes, and many other things. My dad has kinda loosened up on it but my mom is still strict as ever. Does anyone have any advice?

2. Well there's not much anyone on here can do to help you besides tell you to move out..it is illegal, you do live in your parents house, so they make the rules. Smoke when you aren't there.

3. Unfortunately... I doubt there is a way to convince parents like that. When my grades went up because of the sweet leaf, mine still ignored.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

ask them when Obama and the rest of the polticians in congress/senate are going to turn into needle using drug fiends...after all, most of them are on or have been on some drug, used a legal drug in an illegal way...all of them...ask when they will become just like your brother...

correlation doesn't mean causation:

example of how the feds abuse correlations;
    • DC politician "I saw a ford pickup run over a dog and it never stopped...I guess all ford drivers are careless insensitive murdering scum...or turn into such if they ever drive a ford...so FORDS are now illegal to own/make/store/import/export..."
    • public asking a question: "the driver was drunk wasn't he? "
    • DC politician: "just because he was pulled over a block later with a blood alcohol level equal to a mixed drink doesn't mean we demonize alcohol...the ford is what we are discussing...fords kill dogs, fords are illegal for a reason!..."

5. Coming from a family where addiction has been a multigenerational problem, you need to understand where your parents are coming from.  Our generation was taught that marijuana is a "gateway drug."  The evidence is showing that it is almost certainly safer than alcohol, and definitely than prescription medications used, but that information hasn't made it to most of my generation.  

Your parents got burned very badly by your brother's addiction, and when they see pot they automatically think that their other son is headed down that same path.  They aren't bad people, but they're scared for you.  The only way to combat this is to start introducing them to the scientific information on marijuana.  Don't use any of the pro-marijuana sites, like this one, because they'll see the information as biased.  You might want to look on Science Direct or other scientific/medical sites for more information.  

I had the same reaction when I found out my young-adult son was using cannabis, especially with the family history.  However, when I did the research, I found out it wasn't as ominous as I thought.  The only way to dispel darkness is with light.  In this case, the darkness is lack of information and light is accurate information about cannabis.  Frankly, now that I've studied it, I'm glad he's using cannabis instead of alcohol.  

6. yes it's there house and your subject to their rules. i mustve got lucky my parents didn't give a shit. they would literally sit right next to my bong and stuff like it was nothing. but seriously have you talked to them about it and showed them all the research about weed? i'd be like hey don't hate on something you haven't even tried. it's just a plant for crying out loud. it's like saying vegetables are bad for you

7. Seems like their views have spread onto you, who says "pot" besides deluded teenagers, parents, and cops?
    And hey, that's the most damaging thing about cannabis so I understand their fall back argument.

Years of smoking doesn't amount to the damage done by having a record.

8. www.erowid.org

9. #9 VapeLifeAlex, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
    In the end there are better ways to relieve stress and reduce your insomnia. Like working out before you got bed, and you can go out with friends and hang out, goto the beach or what not and just enjoy life(to reduce your stress).

All that information that you present is irrelevant if they're worried about legal problems.
    You can't win man. Especially if your mom is a hard headed person.
    Hahaha, your bit about the wonders of hemp got me to chuckle.
    Are you smoking hemp too? No, then why bring it up? It's relatable by has no relevance to you choosing to smoke the flowers of the cannabis plant.

And another thing, if you want to bring in information, it might be important for you to know that smoking cannabis before you brain has FULLY developed(happens in your mid 20s) slows the progression of it and in the end it may not fully develop.

10. I'd just try and hide it better. Be more discrete when doing it. My mom has never caught me, but she sh^t-talks my cousin all day because hes the same age and smokes pot. My mom seems like your mom, she doesn't want you to end up like your brother, mine doesn't want me to end up like my cousin. It's annoying, and sometimes difficult, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I also have insomnia, and it also helps me out. Just wait until it becomes legal in your state (if ever) before you try convincing them again.