Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Parents and MMJ

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by cheeerios, Mar 17, 2012.

1. I'm considering getting my med card, but I still live at home right now and my parents are not keen on marijuana. I'm 18 so I know I could get it without their permission, but they will be paying for college next year and I don't want them to cut me off or anything.

If I don't tell them, would it show up on insurance or anything?
    If they're going to find out through another way I'd rather just tell them and deal with their reaction, but if I can go under their radar I'd much prefer to do that.

2. i'd suggest just sitting down and having an adult discussion. Show them that you respect them by talking with them about what you're doing rather than living in a web of lies that will most likely come back to bite you in the ass later.

you might be surprised what being up-front, truthful, and respectful can do

3. keep it on the DL. it wont show up on any records, have fun gettin that knowledge!

4. Show them the card and facts about it and since its legal now they will be like damn shit has changed from my days

5. They won't know at all. It showed up
    On none of medical work. Just get it an don't tell them.

6. HIPPA laws... or medical privacy laws will prevent them from having access. My parents would have never known, infact NO ONE would have known unless I told them, or they saw the authorization I have to have posted in my apartment (or should), and the copy I have to keep on my person at all times (as per WA state law).

You will be fine. Just go in, go through the process, pay the fee in cash if you're worried about them looking at bank records, and walk out.
    Go to dispensaries on your own, don't talk about it around your home, keep your pot locked up and sealed properly so it won't smell, and be careful of how you use it.

Tinctures work best, bottles are easy to hide and it's easy to quickly take a drop. You will have access to edibles which are inconspicious. Hash pops, inconspicious.
    It is smoking the flowers that will get you caught.

But in all honesty, it may be best to just let them know, if you're going to have anxiety over it or worry, it's best to just be upfront about it. You're an adult, if you want your card, for whatever reason, you don't need to tell them that, that is YOUR buisness, you are entitled to your privacy, you can just tell them upfront that you're getting an MMJ authorization, that it will be legal and safe to get medicinal cannabis, and it will be much better than the alternative.

But respect your parents wishes. As for worrying if they will cut you off because of College, you know, I think it would be shitty if they made it difficult for you to get a good education just because you got a legal authorization for whatever reason it is that you want an MMJ card for. I think that's shitty of any parent to do, to be honest.

weigh your options carefully, think about it.