Parenting

Discussion in 'General' started by 420girl1234, Mar 23, 2019.

1. How old were you when you told your parents/your parents found out you smoke pot?

2. 13 lol the same year I started smoking.. This was back in Jamaica. It was after I got my bad head injury and I was at my cousins house. He invited me smoke a bong with him and we weren't expecting my mom to stop over but she did and I tried to hide from her behind the door but she found me and I couldn't hide that iwas super high so I just admitted it lol. She was not that mad at me tho because my dad always got high...

~Toni~

• Like Like x 1
  3. I think you need to add when talking to your kids about marijuana is the age they smoke and the effect it has on brain development in a teenager. No need to have a moral or not moral discussion, but you need to tell them that if you start to earlier you may be permanently dumb.

4. Do it away from them then you don't have to answer, both my parents smoked I didn't know until I was an adult

• Like Like x 1
  5. are you going to go senile in your mid 40s lol? On the bright side Cannabis has been said to reduce your chances of getting dementia so there's that

6. Just to play devils advocate here - and I’m only curious, if you’re not comfortable answering then no worries but at what age did you begin smoking cannabis (if you even do - my apologies if you do not) and your age right now?

All in the name of science lol

J

7. I absolutely and completely understand that some folks aren’t comfortable telling their kids - I get it.

What I am curious about, though, for those of you that ARE uncomfortable with the thought, is: A. Do you live in a legal area? And B. What is it about cannabis use that makes you uncomfortable about your kids knowing?

Please - again - I’m really just curious - and if you don’t live in a legal state then I understand even more and that changes everything - but if you live in a legal state or don’t now, but were to move to a legal state, or if your state changed the laws then would that make a difference?

Is it the legality of cannabis that would prevent you from this discussion?

Is it a moral issue?

I don’t believe that most folks would hide any other medicine from their kids, or even a bottle of scotch - but would instead put it on a high shelf of course with the “not till youre 21” rule...

Why is cannabis different?

Just curious - thanks.

J

8. If the topic is brought up because of society and its influences that's a bit different than introducing them to it, there are a lot of things we need to learn about but I think drugs and their affects arent really something any 6 year old would need to know

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ok - but would you hide a bottle of wine - or even rum?

I was in a different situation from some as I was growing legally, medically and since I had several Grow areas in the house I was obligated to discuss with my kids but if I weren’t growing and simply using cannabis and legalities wasn’t an issue I might not have a big discussion over it but wouldn’t hide it - just as I wouldn’t hide either a prescribed medicine or a can of beer - right?

I’m just really curious about this because I see a good percentage saying they wouldn’t do this around kids, but if the law says it’s fine (we are recreational here in Maine) would you still hide it?

J

10. I think my first time was out of an apple in a ski trip my sophomore year of high school, what bothers me more is actually living in ground zero of legal weed, Colorado and I feel that people here are clueless against the risks, especially of the young developing mind, one of my big worries

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Yes kids should never have access to your liquor lol

12. This is a great topic. I have a 10 month old son. I was always told drugs are bad and that alcohol was legal. Guess which one got me in trouble. I full agree of being open and honest with your kids. I also knew where everything was and when they started hiding stuff it only made the resolve stronger to find out what was hiding. My parents recently visited and I told them before they came that I was growing. I asked if they had questions or concerns. I was told it’s my life. Then when they left out of the blue my mom texts saying I should get rid of the green plants. I told her all plants are green. Nothing said after that. They even slept in the room with my tent lol. It’s weed say it. They would always smell it on me in high school and would say I smells funny. I wish they could grow up and just realize it’s a recreational drug for some and others it can be an addiction. Hiding it and not discussing it is the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hey Jerry

I’m curious if your state had stayed illegal and it was still underground would you have dealt with the kids the same way? Would you still do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. I would have but not when they were as young - perhaps waiting until they were teens or when I thought they could at least understand it. It’s very hard to say. I also don’t believe that I would have stayed growing in a houseful of kids in an illegal state.im guessing I wouldn’t have -

I did bring that (the whole legal thing) up though - the huge difference between living in an illegal area and a legal area. When I told my kids I was doing things legally (mostly lol) - and was growing as a caregiver for multiple patients.

This is a tough subject and is why I asked and am still very curious as to folks thoughts. If I was just burning for my
    own head occasionally etc then I’m sure I would have discussed it with my kids when I felt they were old enough to understand. I see nothing whatsoever morally
    Wrong with cannabis use - and feel that the bottle of scotch is or could be much worse.

J

• Like Like x 1
  15. I understand where your coming from, however...
    I know people that have had their kids taken away in MI because they used in front of their kids as well as let their kids around the grow room. This is by far not an isolated case.
    The fact that there are government agency's that can take your kids because of marijuana is enough reason to me to be extra careful. Living in a medicinally legal or recreational legal state does not change the fact the state can remove your children. Why would you want to risk that?

Also...Saying "well i used it as a kid, so i am not going to be a hypocrite" is a bad argument...
    Just because you did it does not mean it is ok for them to...it wasn't ok for you too, you just did it anyway. I encourage my kids to be smarter then me and make less of the same mistakes i did.

Even when/if the fed government legalizes it...it still wont be ok to smoke it around your kids.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I completely disagree. My State tells me that not withstanding the medical thing, even recreationally I can grow, in my home, 3 plants PER ADULT plus clones, seedlings etc.

On January 27, 2017 the legislature approved a moratorium on implementing parts of the law regarding retail sales and taxation until at least February 2018, giving time to resolve issues and promulgate rules. The portion of the law that allows persons over 21 years to grow six mature plants and possess 2.5 ounces became effective on January 30, 2017
    The laws surrounding my legal right to grow cannabis on my own property and in my home can be found here if you’d like to see them - Title 28-B, §1502: Home cultivation of marijuana for personal adult use

Obviously the actual smoke around kids isn’t good but besides that it seems you’ve got an issue exposing kids to it - but besides the secondhand smoke thing I disagree with you again.

I’m guessing you wouldn’t have a can of beer or a glass of wine with your dinner at home then?

J

17. I guess I feel my family will be judge because I go to church
    Catholic at that. I don't want him when older or my family to be like how can you do pot AND go to church , pray and follow God etc.

18. So your saying you think it is appropriate to have your minor kids going INSIDE a grow room?
    I never said its not ok to grow in your home, i said it is not right to grow in your home and have your minor kids in the grow room or around people smoking it.

So do you think its ok to have a 10 year old kid grind up weed and roll joints for their parent? Where is the line that they should not cross? Kids are very easily influenced, especial by their parents actions.

Yes your right, i dont think it is appropriate to drink with your dinner when small children are watching you.
    My kids dont see me drink or using marijuana. Just like i dont leave pills out where they can see them. I put all liquor up where it is not able to be seen. I have locks on my grow rooms, so my kids cant get to them.

Also for all the people who say "your crazy if you think your kids dont know what is in your house and where"...i guess your parents never used a lock. My bedroom door has always had a lock on it, so no my kids dont know what is in my room. They also dont know i smoke.

I NEVER said anything about growing in your home, so i dont know why your quoting the law about it.
    That law says nothing about kids being allowed in you grow room or to hangout next to you while you smoke. (The law you quoted doesn't say anywhere that is ok to have your kids around your plants or around people smoking it. It actually mentions an age, 21.)

We can agree to disagree.

19. I guess I feel my family will be judge because I go to church
    Catholic at that. I don't want him when older or my family to be like how can you do pot AND go to church , pray and follow God etc.

20. I would never want my children to see me using or let them know that I use

I would only ever tell them if I ever caught them smoking pot, so that I could warn them that it can be highly addictive

but the stigma that they would think because through education we tell kids to avoid drugs, it would probably cause them a lot of psychological stress knowing that society tells you one thing yet your parents engage in this illicit behavior (like smoking pot) so i would want to avoid my children ever seeing something like that