Parenting

Discussion in 'General' started by 420girl1234, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Any parents on here? Do you tell your kids? I have a 6 yr old
    He doesn't know yet and wondering how to talk to him about my usage. Ideas? Thanks.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. So u wanna tell ur 6 yr old u smoke weed

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. I'd wait til they're more the age of curiosity. But it all depends. I mean are you telling them in a way such as "this is mommy's medicine, don't you ever touch it" or?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I have 3 kids, the oldest is 24 and the youngest is 8. Only the 24 yr old knows. She didn't know till i told her when she was 16. I had been growing for a few years before that and just kept everything away from her.
    Now that things are legit for both recreational and medicinal I will probably tell my middle child sooner then 16...but 6...that kid cant even comprehend what your talking about marijuana. You will cause yourself more trouble. You should NOT be smoking around your kid, so they have no reason to question it.

• Like Like x 3
  5. A 6 year old barely knows how to wipe their ass. I think they'll be fine not knowing till they are older.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Whatever way you go, don't lie to your kids and deny it and don't be a hypocrite telling them it's bad while you smoke in secret.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I have 3 kids..me and there dad don't smoke directly in front of them. My oldest is only 7 but we going to wait a while before we talk to her about it. I think you should hold off for a while g but that's just me.

~Tonika~

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I'm not planning to tell them until I go senile and let it slip. #StonerNinja

• Funny Funny x 5
  9. I don't do it around him my dad told me at 8
    When I was in kindeergarden and teachers and people at school asked what my dad did I said he smokes pot
    I knew before he told me

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Is this to me or her lol...but i wouldnt say anything unless they get older 12-14yrs old and asked

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  11. You were 8 in kindergarden?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sounds like something Ricky would say
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Simply call it your medicine because that's what it is. When they turn 16 and ask for a drag of the joint, say, "Nope, this is for adults but when you turn 21, you can try it just like alcohol" . My kids seems to take that just fine with no problems.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. I’ve been a parent for twennysomething years and have 3 daughters.

Age withstanding - the first thing I’m going to tell you is that kids aren’t stupid - they know what’s going on whether you tell them or not. They also know what’s in the back left of your sock drawer and what’s in that little cardboard box you have pushed all the way to the back underneath your bed. They know what’s under the insulation in the attic and that the jar on the shelf marked “nuts and bolts” doesn’t have nuts and bolts in it but something else.

Did I mention that kids aren’t stupid and know exactly what you have in your sock drawer?

My children grew up in a Cannabis household. I started growing herb “underground” in the mid 80’s - for over 30
    Years, but I did put it down for a time while the three girls were young - however, Maine went medical some years back and first I talked to my wife and then we called the girls together for a very important family meeting.

We discussed the medical benefits of cannabis and how I would be setting up several (secret/quiet) areas of the house - an area down in the root cellar for my Veg area but also a small (12’x12’) room in the rear corner off of/connected to my bedroom at the rear of the house. It was locked well and very inconspicuous. I was actually the first caregiver in Maine with multiple patients to grow for although it didn’t take long before many were jumping on the bandwagon. I always set myself apart by growing organically and not charging my patients a shiny nickel but I digress -

We talked about how I would be growing cannabis in the house for some different people that used it medically, showed them the paperwork from Maine Dept of Health & Human Services but very importantly we discussed the absolutely necessary need to maintain the utmost secrecy about the gardens - because unfortunately so many people are greedy and plain ol SUCK - and break into homes and rob people because they suck so bad - with the strictest orders to never discuss with friends, at school - with ANYONE - that this was a family thing and outsiders could never know.

And they never, ever did. I am so proud of my girls - they knew the importance of this and never ever said a word to anyone.

Like I said - kids aren’t dumb. If I didn’t tell them or even if I was just smoking and not growing I have no doubt that they would’ve figured it out whether I told them or not. They are older now, and they’ve told me that they always appreciated me being honest with them. Also, with them growing up around it, it gave us many opportunities to discuss cannabis and other drugs… They know the difference between good and hard abusable drugs - and they appreciated me treating them like adults - not hiding from them - and because of that they never told anyone, they don’t abuse it even now that they are older. I see it as an extremely good thing.

Hell - when they got older I paid them well to help me trim and take care of the gardens - of course key word being older but they liked making good money to
    Sit and trim with me - a family affair? Lol

The bottom line is I told my kids - This was nothing I was ever ashamed of, I never felt it was morally wrong and I was glad once it was out in the open and I’m going to tell you that they appreciated being treated like adults instead of the adults trying to hide everything from them. I bet if I had tried to hide it that they would’ve been talking about it with their friends and who knows at that point, but since we sat together and discussed it together I never once worried about them talking with their friends and they never did.

I know this won’t work for everyone and things are different for different people but don’t ever think that kids are stupid and that you can hide things from them very easily because kids are smart and it’s damn near impossible to hide it from them.

J

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. You just gave me some good advise for when we talk to our kids about it. Thanks Jerry :D :love:

~Toni~

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. I know for a fact that my 3 girls totally appreciated me talking to them about Cannabis, my usage and growing and because of our heart to heart discussions they respected the importance -

In other words - they appreciated being talked to like adults or at least like mature kids instead of jeez - trying to hide it from them? Trust me and I’m sure you know - when people live together it’s pretty hard to hide anything from them - and especially inquisitive kids.

I also know for a fact that having grown up around cannabis, through helping me, watching me et al, they soon came to realize that it was only a big deal if one was to make it a big deal. They understood the difference between bad drugs and cannabis - and I believe that because of the constant exposure to it they weren’t as interested in using it as many of their friends did/were -

My oldest didn’t use it until she was in her very late teens and maybe even 20 - she came thru Nursing school w/ her Bachelor of Science degree grades almost perfect -while everyone around her was partying hard - but to her it simply wasn’t a big deal whatsoever while her friends were all very curious and had to try it etc. She’s 23 now, has been working as an RN for awhile now and loves cannabis but doesn’t abuse it - a couple pokes after work and she’s good - never before or during work. A lot of days she doesn’t even smoke.

My middle daughter is 20, was always helping me but simply isn’t interested in using it herself.
    She came up with the term “Dizzy Broccoli” - LOL!

My 17 year old has tried it a few times recently - I just found out and we sat down and had a good talk about it. I don’t think it’ll be an issue for her but I told her 1. Be Safe, and 2. Don’t lose sight of what’s important -

I can’t tell her no as she knows that I did much cannabis when I was her age and I
    Won’t be a hypocrite - but I’ll keep
    An eye on her and make sure she’s safe and doing good at school etc. I’m pretty sure she’s just at the age where her friends are trying it so she is as welll here and there -

My point is that it hasn’t been a big deal to
    My kids because we never made it a big deal - they know to ALWAYS AND FOREVER keep their mouths shut just because there’s bad people out there but very importantly I know that they respect the fact and really appreciated that we thought enough of them to sit down with them and talk about it like adults - and don’t make it a big deal at all - because it isn’t.

People just shouldn’t think that they can hide it - because that’s just not possible lol

Dizzy Broccoli”

J

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. You so cool Jerry! im going to tell my husband we should have talk with our oldest daughter even tho shes only 7 y/o..

you are very smart an thanks again for the advise mon. My other 2 kids are 2 y/o and not even a year yet so I don't have to talk to them yet.

Lol I like that Dizzy Broccoli haha My man started the nickname Dizzy for me. I might start using that Dizzy Broccoli name for Marijuana lmao that's pretty creative from your daughter.

My dad talked to us about smoking weed when we were little too because he has always smoked an before he passed away I used to get high with him as well.

You right about not hiding it lol the kids are not stupid so im sure Kyra knows at least. Anyway Im happy I read your posts J because I learned some new tings today. :D:love:

~Toni~

• Like Like x 1
  18. I’m not sure where you are but please keep in mind that I am in a legal state - (Maine) - and when I did talk to the kids it was a legal thing at the time.

I believe at least that things are turning around for the better in most states though - but some places are still on the “Weed Kills” and will still put you in prison train - so first and foremost please be safe.

I do believe though, that even though it was legal for me when I sat the kids down that it still did a whole damn lot of good - because what they get taught by The Man in schools is often laughable since Ronald Reagan’s “War on Drugs” campaign back when I was in school - so please - no matter what -

SAFETY FIRST.

Thanks

J

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. You're right about kids knowing what's going on inside your house but when I was in nursing school I lived in this one bedroom tiny house with my daughter who was 10. The house had a full basement but it had two rooms so before my daughter had ever seen the house I partitioned off one room and made a secret entrance . I grew weed in that room for a couple of years and when I graduated and got a job we moved into a larger house, during the move I had to remove my partition and my daughter saw the room for the first time, she couldn't believe her eyes, that room had been there the whole time and she had no idea. She knew where I kept my smoking stash but I got away with growing right under her nose.

• Winner Winner x 3
  20. Ed - funny you say that because when the kids were really little - let’s say 3-8, I did the same with a small corner in my cellar of our house before we moved to Maine. I purposefully stacked so many boxes and junk around the little area with one big box to move and a sliding access door that it worked out beautifully.

I also know, however, that when I was a young buck living at my parents house, that I knew where every single pencil and book of matches was in that house - examples but there wasn’t ANY hiding things from me back then -

Hey at least I thought so lol

J

• Like Like x 2