Paranoid about electric bill

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Pervy Sage, Feb 5, 2009.

1. I'm prepping for my first grow and i'm feeling nervous about my electric bill going through the roof leading to me getting pinched. I'm looking to build a rather modest setup for 1 or 2 plants in a small space. I don't know shit about electricity really so im wondering how much light is it going to take to throw up a red flag to the electric company? Is there a general "safe amount" to go by? Has anyone ever broke down the science of it in comparison to regular every day electronics for example say 2 CFL's of a certain wattage = a tv? lol

Any help is appreciated, sorry if this came off as a stupid question haha.

Now back to my research!!:p

2. lol 2 plants is nothgin.. anything under 1k ur fine

3. I have a small space heater in my area that is alone 1500w... so, more than likely... I 1-2 plant grow isn't going to get you busted.

4. Unless you're going to be running at least one and probably several 1000 watt HPS's it's not going to make a huge difference with regards to being detected.

You can see the wattage of electronics in your home by looking at the text they print on the back near the serial number usually, but trust me running a few CFL's for a couple of plants won't even be a blip. To put it in perspective, your computer is probably burning around 300 watts right now including the monitor. An HD TV can use 600 or more watts. An electric space heater can easily use 2000+ watts.

Don't sweat it.

5. here's the formula for your electric bill
    Wattage x Hours x Cost Then Divide That by 1000
    EXAMPLE
    400 Watt light x 12hrs a day x .07cents a kilowatt hour divide by 1000 =0.336
    So 34 cents a day! Check your local energy provider for how much they charge a kilowatt hour.

6. I run a 250 watt HPS lamp 20 hours a day and my bill has risen a hefty $10.00

I used to worry like that at first...

-C

7. Yes. The first rule of Grow Club is don't talk about Grow Club.

8. Wow you guys are fast hahah! Thank you so much for easing my mind. This place is great.

and dont worry I wont tell a soul!

Thanks everyone and good luck on all your grows!!:hello::hello:

9. +rep for location! Naruto rocks!

10. Blazeholiday, thanks i repped you aswell. Nothin beats some good weed and watching Naruto haha!

11. this is a good question and a nice thread.. i use to be paranoid when i was runnin a 3k setup.. but now im jus keepin is easy wit the 600w.

12. I run 250w 24/0, and my bill has only increased to 5 dollars. You won't have a problem with your electric bill, really.