Paper plane in outer space

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by g0pher, Jul 1, 2009.

1. If i had to throw a paper plane in outer space, assuming it never encounters an obstacle or force in its journey, will it go on forever?

2. paper airplanes ride on air currents, since there is no air it will just sit there and float

3. If a tree fell in the forest with noone was around to hear it would it make a noise?

There you will find your answer..

In the forest.

4. Well yes it would (as would any object), this is the principle of inertia. However, it is an impossible situation because gravity (and in truth the electroweak force as well) operates over infinite distance, though its effect becomes less and less noticeable as distance increases. Spacetime curvature (which is the source of what we call gravity according to Einstein's General Theory of Relativity) is caused by objects at infinite distance, only the effect is barely detectable at a certain point (depending on the object's mass).

So to put it shortly: in an empty universe, the plane would travel forever. In the real universe, it may, but it will be under the influence of various forces and will in all likelihood stop somewhere. But speaking purely in terms of inertia, any object continues in its state of motion or rest unless acted on by an outside force.

This makes itself apparent when one considers that motion and rest are purely relative terms.

5. I'm stoned enough to mentally picture Origami Animals forming the rings of Saturn, how are you doing today?:cool:

6. Objects in motion tend to stay in motion. If paper airplane were in a ZERO G environment and you gave it a push it will fly.... It just wont be using the wings for lift.

7. yes and nay...

when you threw it. you gave it all the momentum it will ever have. soon this momentum decreases and eventually it would slow down to a point where the only thing moving it is the gravity of other bodies, asteroids planets or even large waves of gas.

so while it may never stop. it wont be the momentum you gave it allowing it to fly

8. No.

It will experience drag force, as there is air in space.

And yes, maybe, because for it to stop entirely means that it cannot move at all, which may or may not be possible, as the universe may or may not be analog.

:)

EDIT: "assuming it never...."

Well fuck if I know.

9. Blew my mind. Air in space? Don't we just assume there are small pockets of air (gases) randomly in space?

10. So does this mean that as soon as this piece of paper is exposed to the extremely hot direct sunlight it would begin to combust therefore going nowheres?

11. #11 notbakedenough, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2009
    Space isn't a total vacuum, so I don't think it would neccisarily go on forever.

I mean theres virtually no friction, but any amount is enough to stop an object given an infinite period of time.

12. Well, I assume my Physics professor was telling me the truth that there is an estimated one molecule per every cubic meter in "outer space."

OP- I guess the answer is Yes... but even "outer space" isn't empty so it will create a drag on the paper plane, so maybe No.

13. Theres a few hydrogen atoms for every square centimeter.

14. Oh, damn... that'll slow down that paper plane for sure. :)

15. #15 Zylark, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2009
    Spot on.

Though we think of space as a total vaccuum, it really isn't.

If some astronaut threw a paper plane or anything other, it will by force of momentum continue on its path at the release velocity only being influenced by gravity, and the odd particles, from photons to full blown atoms. Those may accelerate or decelerate the paper plane based on angle of impact in relation to direction of travel. Like wind hitting a sail.

Sooner or later though, well, much, much later, the resistance of particles and atoms in interstellar space are more likely to slow down the paper plane than anything else.

Outer space may not be a perfect vaccuum, but it is pretty close :p

But that isn't answering your question, which was "assuming it never encounters an obstacle or force in its journey, will it go on forever?"...

Pretty big assumption, and if true, then yes, the paper plane would go on forever. Assuming the universe wraps onto itself, like the surface of a ballon, and as such is without borders.

16. But then it gets to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at it

17. Heyheyhey, I am the only abstract lateral neo-modern artist on this forum, you find your own niche!

Now, where did I put that sign I had, oh, here it is...

[​IMG]

:devious:

:D

18. The way you have worded this makes it YAY automatically.

You created basically a perfect circumstance, just by saying "assuming it never encounters.." so yes, something given inertia in a general vacuum under perfect situations would.

19. There's an air 'n space museum....

jk, the only thing that could slow it down would be anything to cause friction on the airplane. if it doesnt hit anything as said in the OP then i guess, just like any object, it would go on forever. but there are things in space. gravitiational forces would direct it. dust and other molecules would slow it down. but thatnks to relativity if the air plane was sitting still, its still "moving." so even if it landed on a planet, it would still be moving ...would it not?

20. ^Also, you push paper airplane, paper airplane pushes YOU