Paleo Diet

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by StonedOpossum, Jul 18, 2012.

1. So after taking a weekend vacation at the beach to binge on food, I've decided that it's time to diet. The fitness instructor I work with suggested the paleo diet to me, and while it seems "simple" enough (meats, veggies, fruit, no dairy or gluten) I was wondering if anyone had tried it. I'm just looking for general advice on how to stick to it or general meal suggestions. Anything to help get me on track with this.

Many thanks.

2. I tried it for a few weeks, as it's what I usually have to eat - But I son realised I couldn't give up cheese.

Damn you tasty cheese.

EDIT: It's a pretty easy diet to stick to because it encompasses most foods. Not like a diet where you can only eat crackers and saw dust.

3. There's no way I'd give up milk. It's such an easy way to get loads of protein.

4. Not having cheese is going to be pretty tough. But I can handle it. What I'm worried about is the bread. I LOVE bread.

Also, munchies are gonna suck.

5. I think it is great. Can be hard to stick to if you eat out often.

6. I feel the same way.

But I don't eat any gluten, and I seriously try to limit the cheese. So other than milk, Im technically on the paleo diet. Well, and I guess my supplements aren't really paleo.

But yeah, fuck gluten.

7. It's not just gluten and dairy that the paleo diet doesnt like.

It's phytates and lectins as well as alkaloids found in nightshade plants.

It's a more limiting diet than most realize as you have to prepare certain foods well before hand if you want to eat them.

In order to remove the phytates and lectins you need to either soak what your eating in water for at least a few hours to a day or more or you need to ferment it which takes even longer.

And nightshade plants your just supposed to stay away from entirely for the most part.

And your also supposed to be eating primarily raw food while on the diet.

It's a difficult diet for some, comparable to being on a vegan diet perhaps.

8. It's not just the gluten that you need to ignore, OP, it's ALL grains. Rice, quinoa, gluten-free breads and pastas...all of that. No grains whatsoever.

Your sole source of carbs will be veggies and fruits, like evolution intended.

It's really not that difficult. I've been eating paleo my entire life, as I have severe Celiac disease and I'm lactose intolerant.

Once your body shifts into ketosis (if you're doing paleo for weight loss) you'll feel SO much better mentally and physically that everything sorta will just fall into place. Getting into ketosis is a bitch, though, and can make you feel pretty shitty for a few days.

Basically, my meals always center around a protein, a veggie, and a big ass salad. You can't go wrong like that. This morning for breakfast I had 3 eggs scrambled with spinach and onions, roasted sweet potatoes from last night's dinner, and a big ass salad of mixed greens and homemade balsamic vinegar dressing.

Lunch will be spicy tuna lettuce wraps, and for dinner I'm making beef shepherds pie.

If you hate veggies, paleo isn't for you. You'll have nothing to ever eat, and it will be hard to stick with. So, if you hate veggies, learn to love them :D

9. #9 Egghead03, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2012
    Veggies. Veggies. and more veggies. I personally love eating Paleo. Also you are suppose to limit your sugar levels to reach ketosis and that includes fruit. I have fruit everyday, but do have to watch the carbs...

Anyways eat a bunch of veggies, some fruit, and I eat about at least gram of protein/pound of body weight.

It is hard to follow if you are use to eating out 24/7. You are definitely going to need to set aside time to cook/prep food. For me it is not too bad, mostly because I do not mind the same things over so I am in a routine.

Example
    Breakfast: Pastured Eggs (3+) over easy on top of a bed of greens with anything else you enjoy on/in the egg (onions/peppers/etc) and normally a little ground pork or some other breakfastt meat. I cook this in coconut oil (no more sprays, conola, etc.)

Lunch: Burgers (just the patty, cook a bunch in the beginning of week) of your favorite meat. I switch up between Bison, Lamb, Venison, Beef and some others. I also have the same big ass salad almost everyday for lunch. It is amazing and I don't get tired of it but some people can't do that. If you use salad dressing, make it yourself, I use olive oil. When I bring an extra snack it is normally Kale chips I make or something along those lines.

Dinner: Steak, fish, chicken...something that is descent amount and cooked how you like it...I grill or pan almost everything i eat. Typical sides are vegetable medley (zuchinni, squash, onion, mushroom, pepper, garlic all mixed together in the pan and cooked in butter), brussel sprouts, broccoli, asparagus(favorite), etc. Dinner is my cooked veggie time. The rest of my fruits/veggies I eat raw.

Afternoon snack/dessert: 85%+ chocolate and fruit, chips and guac(home made), or I simply cut a whole tomato and avocado and crush them.

Just remember that the quality of meats you choose is very important while on this diet. Many things will be out of balance, starting with cholesterol and omegas, if you go get conventional meats and are crushing them left and right. Eat natural animals or seek out grass fed beef. Also don't overcook your meat. When sourcing quality meat it is not near as necessary to cook to recommended temps. I usually take my beef, ground or not, off around 130-140. This is expensive unless you buy in bulk from farmers (half cow, etc.). Also learn which veggies are recommended organic and try to always get those organic. For instance, peppers are important but avocado doesn't matter. I also stay away from anything GMO.

Breninj, I have heard of the soaking food thing but do not think it is prevalent. At least in most of the paleo/primal eaters I know. I try to just stay away from phylates completely by no grains (corn included), no nuts (if i do it is macadamias....mmm), and no beans. These are very high in phylates. I also do not know what "nightshade plants" are but am going to do some reading. I see though, after a quick search, that tomatoes cayenne pepper, and hot/sweet peppers are all nightshade plants. This would surprises me as tomatoes are extremely common and praised in paleo community from what I have seen.

EDIT: Just had to say I agree with a lot on here that milk is one of the most delicious things. It took me a while to be OK w/o it and I cheated often. Honestly, from my research, I might try it again if I can find a raw milk supplier. I think it def. has benefits when not pasteurized to shit...

10. I really don't understand how being in ketosis all the time can be healthy.

Ever see a marathon runner lose control of their whole body and flop? That's cause they ran out glycogen and went into ketosis. They physically could not function anymore because they had no energy.

Entering ketosis is healthy during a water fast, but you should be resting the entire time and definitely should not workout in the slightest bit.

--------------------------

Anyways, the paleo diet is an excellent start. It gets all the refined and artifical shit out of your diet. I just take it one step further...I eat all my food raw and I'm vegan.

--------------------------

Btw soaking your nuts and seeds is a good idea. Sprouting them is even better

11. Becoming adapted to ketosis is WAY different than a blood sugar crash that a marathon runner falls into.

Yes, both states are functionally termed "ketosis," but the body does not magically just slip into burning ketones when the glycogen reserves are tapped. That's why the first few days of a ketogenic diet are marked by lethargy and low energy, and then once the body shifts to burning ketones there is a huge shift in the way the body feels. More energy, much more clear headed, smaller appetite, better sleep, etc.

12. I suppose you're right, but that just doesn't seem healthy to me. Your body is set up to burn glycogen as energy. That's how the body is made. I just don't see how burning ketones for energy could possibly be natural or healthy.

13. Marathon runners are kind of a bad example. Paleo/primal diet is more than just a diet, it is almost a lifestyle change. Work outs are suppose to simulate our lives in primal times. LOTS of walking/hiking/standing/squatting, minimal sitting, lifting, pulling, throwing, natural things (logs, climb trees, etc.) and random all out sprints. If you do choose to do a lot of extremely demanding sports than most the people I have learned from have said it is definitely necessary to increase sugars/carbs.

budsmokin, how do you keep up with protein intake? Well I guess how much protein do you think you need/day and how you get animal quality proteins to meet that goal with no animal products? I need 160-180 grams of protein/day (weigh 170). Also what about your omegas and keeping them at, or close to, a 1:1 ratio? I also believe I feel better etc. when I am on a fat based diet. When I eat sugar/carb diets I get up and downs and need to eat constantly. Lastly do you have to take supplements?

14. IDK, but I do know I am less moody, don't need to eat constantly, and feel better burning fat as my energy.

15. Omegas are really easy. Plenty of nuts seeds cover that. My favor food for fats and protein is hemp seeds though. It's seriously a miracle food.

I would argue you don't need that much protein, but I won't get into that. Different people have different goals. Some people want to look like the hulk, others just want to be healthy and focus on cardio.

And idk about you but when I eat a high fat diet I get extremely tired and sluggish. I also gain weight very easily on a high fat diet it seems. With raw fruits and veg I can eat unlimited amounts whenever I want and gain no weight since its hard as shit to over eat. They fill you up so much.

And yea I take plant/whole foods-based multivitamin.

16. We evolved in functional ketosis for millions of years, especially as hunter-gatherers because we did not stop in any one place for long enough to grow vegetables and what have you.

The fact that the body can so smoothly shift to burning fat for fuel, rather than glycogen, is a testament to this fact. Had our ancestors always had access to carbohydrate sources in abundance, it's likely we would not be able to live in ketosis for long, or would our bodies adapt to it so easily. Yet, the medical literature proves that this is not true: ketosis is but the other side of the coin, an evolutionary adaptation to ensure that our ancestors lived when carbohydrate sources were low or scarce.

17. Exactly my point though. It's a survival mechanism. It should be a back up, just in case.

Naturally though, you should be burning glycogen. Is that wrong to say?

18. I love saw dust.

19. Any diet with lots of fresh veggies and low in processed carbs and fats will be good vegan or not.

Some foods are good that aren't technically paleo. Some foods can also be eaten in moderation.

For example vinager wasn't available yo hunter gatherers but using vinager to flavor your fresh veggies wont hurt you.

Eat lots of greens and fruits and avoid oils and processed carbs

20. Well I didn't get very far before breaking. I had a major sugar crash my second day and passed out. I've decided I'm not really interested in an entire lifestyle change. I understand that there are health benefits to the paleo diet, but it's entirely possible to maintain a healthy diet without giving up my beloved carbs (in my family, bread is king).

That being said, I tip my hat to those of you who live by it. I just don't, as of yet, have the desire to give up that which I love so dearly.