Oyster mushrooms

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by junkheadrev, Aug 10, 2012.

1. I just ordered an oyster mushroom kit and I expect at least a couple pounds but I don't want to order the kit every time I want a few pounds of homegrown mushies.
    Has any one had any luck with starting some growth from spores.
    I'm willing to try with any easy to grow mushrooms(other than portobellos)
    If shiitake or miatake would be easier I would be willing to try them too.

2. Oyster's are gonna be one of the easiest and most aggressive mushies you can grow
    im currently growing blue oysters and shitakes

i grew the oysters from a spore syringe and the shitake from some agar culture

currently i have 12 bags of innoculated newspapers for blue oyste, two of which are fruiting
    and 6 bags of shitake getting colonized
    as well as 1 log of Blue Oyster thats slowly being colonized and two bins of straw that were cold pastuerized(soaked in well water for 24 hours before used) one of which is blue oyster and hte hother shitake
    i have to use my plugs but have no fresh logs for them so i may just use an older log or something...

my first flush of blue oyster died out because it was too dry i beleve, kinda turned brown and crusty and aborted:(
    but i have to warn you that if you start to look at the oyster pins(baby mushrooms as they begin to fruit) while you are baked... you will be FASCINATED lol they look FUCKING AWESOME imho
    and shitake smells funny and has some pretty sticky mycelium so iusually use a plastic spoon when doing myc transfers or anything

3. Yeah I'm ordering a box kit so all I have to do is soak em.
    And yeah I would grow any mushroom even non edibles if I could, but I'm no expert farmer.

4. ^i hear ya there lol
    some of them are EXTREMELY easy if you have some spores to make a spore slurry and the right kind of natural outdoor environment for them, you just blend up a spore slurry and pour it where you want them to grow and wait, but this takes some understanding of their natural environments and the ability to replicate that...
    but im kinda trying to learn the hard way right now and just stumblin through the process lol