oxygen for roots

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by .HiGhGuY., Jun 18, 2007.

1. we all know that the plants roots need oxygen, but...this is my question....i have 3'x3' grow table, i sort of use a NFT, combined with drippers and i have 2 36" flexible air diffusers hooked up to a big air pump.. the air diffusers are in the reservoir (seperate from the grow table)..... now with the air diffusers in the reservoir, will the oxygen actually be "in the nutrient solution" so when the nut. sol. gets pumped through the drippers and into the bottom of the grow tray, it will have available oxygen, or should i put the air diffusers in the actuall grow table, so when the little bubbles come to the surface they pop and relase the oxygen caught inside the bubbles into the air pocket inside the grow table?

2. Just use some of those hydro rocks, they hold water for about 1 hour, but it allows major amounts of airflow for your plants roots. :) As for the "air diffusers" I wouldn't worry about them. As you say your food mixer will hook em up nice.

3. i do use hydro rocks, but the way my system is setup its probably not what your thinking... ok, i have a 3'X3' grow table... it has a lid then in the lid there are 3" holes, in the holes there are net cups. the plant was started in 1" rockwool cubes and placed in the netcups with clay pebbles around it, after roots grew out of the basket, they just hang in air, until the reach the nut. sol. below, along the bottom of the grow tray like NFT

not sure if you get what i mean by air diffuser, just a different type of airstone, except these are not made from stone, they are some sort of foam that is shaped like tubing or in a cylinder, about twice as thick as a standard Pencil, and they are 36" long and flexible.... air stones/diffusers are essential when using hydroponics, why would i forget about them?

4. Diffusers in the reservoir is the more common approach.