overdriving floresent fixture

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by keith6901, Dec 30, 2008.

1. ok i just succesfully overdrived my floresent fixture doubled the brightness of the bulb so it looks like dont have a meter to tell if it helped for the lumens or not hopefully my guy comes threw with one for me then i can give you guys exact numbers i dont know if im aloud to post the link were i got my info from but if not im sorry wont happen again but i thought it might be usefull to some of the floro growers out hear

http://www.geocities.com/teeley2/overdrv1.html

2. wow dude would that shorten the life of your bulb

3. yes it does but where i live 2 bulbs cost me 15 bucks so it dont really mater on the price but it goes threw the whole veg stage easly twice

4. Does it really make that much of a difference? I dont like messing with perfectly good wiring, too paranoid about a fire. But thats just me....

5. well all wut your doin is running one bulb of the ballast instead of two you got to put them into series though it does really work the bulbs seem to be twice as bright like i said in my earlier post my friend sopposed to bring buy his lummen reader and your not actually splicing wires together just putting the ballast wires in one tombstone

6. Wow, I don't know how safe overdriving a tube full of pressurized gas could be. It sounds like it would make it brighter yeah, but I'd really be worried about it. I don't think I'll be trying this one until I see what other peoples results are.

7. #7 ggman, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2009
    I'm with Version 2. I don't see any reason to try this, frankly. Even the original author of this method never states an exact, predictable percentage increase in lumens. Would prefer a more precise knowledge of the wattage and lumens I'm feeding my babies. :D

8. when my guy comes with his reader ill let everyone now wut the diference is and about the question about if the bulbs can handle it sure they can there just not as eficent as if they were hooked up normal

9. well got the numbers went from 22000 to 31000 so were talkin 30 to 40 persent increase thats at 2x overdrived