OVERDOSE

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by dobro49, Jun 15, 2021.

1. There was an incident in Jacksonville Florida I seen on nexstarnews.com about a kid who found a cartoon looking pack of weed gummies and of course ate them and overdosed. The child recovered where a lot don’t when irresponsible people leave guns or tools lying around.
    The child went into a room to hunt some clothes and somebody had just left this in reach? The packaging needs to change, while I’m sure this scared some people, it says once again that pot isn’t as dangerous and they said in the 80s, and people have to be more careful. What if it had been a sharp knife?

2. Very neglectful, however overdose is a strange word to use for a drug that cant kill you but I guess it still applies. Youre right, it could have been much worse. That kind of stuff can lead to getting your kids taken away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Atleast he's ok. It comes down to the parents and their ability to be responsible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. #4 garrison68, Jun 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    It would have been worse if the kid had eaten a bunch of aspirins. But it's true, that the parents were negligent.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Something all of you NEED to know. CHILDREN DO NOT REACT TO CANNABIS LIKE ADULTS! And the younger the child, the more dangerous it can be!

Acute cannabis poisoning in a 10-month-old infant. (France) (abst in English & French – 2012) Intoxication aiguë par cannabis chez un nourrisson de 10 mois - ScienceDirect

"In children, clinical symptoms are more expressive compared to adults, with neurological (drowsiness, agitation, abnormal behavior, ataxia, hypotonia, coma, and convulsions) or cardiopulmonary (tachycardia, bradypnea, apnea) or homeostatic presentations (hypothermia). Treatment in children is essentially symptomatic but sometimes requires active resuscitation."

Children who overdose on cannabis can go into comas, have enough trouble breathing that they need to be intubated, they can have seizures,their heart beats too fast, and their body temperature can drop below normal. No child has died from a cannabis overdose, but with the breathing problems, it IS possible!

So cannabis can be dangerous to small children, yet, in most cases, it is simply bad parenting. And no different than the parents who foolishly leave alcohol and tobacco in the reach of children.

In this case, however, it was more just "bad luck". There was a party with some legal MMJ patients attending. One jumped into a pool, fully clothed, to get their 2 year old who had jumped in. Then they went inside to change clothes and the gummy was left on a dresser between some clothes while the person changed. And that's when the little girl came in, saw the candy and ate it, like any normal kid!

Florida Mom Calls for Safer Packaging of Marijuana Edibles After Daughter Ate a THC Gummy
    Florida Mom Calls for Safer Packaging of Marijuana Edibles After Daughter Ate a THC Gummy

In California, the fear of "cannabis poisoning" in children has lead to an over-reaction in the packaging of cannabis. Consider the little "gum drop" edibles I enjoy. They come in a sturdy white plastic container with a child-proof lid, that has a clear plastic shrink-wrap band around the lid and upper part of the container. That is put inside a rather plain white cardboard box covered in various stickers that seal the box tightly shut. The only indication that it contains anything edible (besides the writing) is a rather small picture of some fruit on one side of the box.

Another brand of some delicious chocolate-covered almonds were encased in a plastic box that was impossible for me to open, and one time, my son needed the help of a screwdriver to open a particularly stubborn box!

The edibles that do come in baggies, well, the baggies are, to say the least, often tricky to open. Most of the older folks I know that buy those brands, simply cut the bags open (which defeats the whole purpose of the child- proofing). I have no problem with "plan wrapper" packaging, or a lack of "fun shapes" or bright artificial coloring, but I feel California has gone a bit overboard in an attempt to protect children.

Currently, the fear of "cannabis poisoning" has transformed edibles into a trash-producing disaster! And even buds are now sold in heavy glass jars that may also be enclosed in their own boxes. (I just weighed a jar that once held an eighth of some very good cannabis- 5.5 ounces of glass! But in my household, we recycle.)

So here we are, having a legally-mandated ecological disaster in commercial cannabis, mostly because of a few folks who need to improve their parenting practices! :coolalt:

Granny :wave:

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. I know pot can be dangerous to kids, but I would offer that the pool they had was equally so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. When I hear overdose I think "took too much of a drug and died". Which isn't possible with weed but u can certainly over dose (two words, as in take too much and have a bad time) with it. Totally the parents fault though regardless of how the package looks it's their responsibility to keep it somewhere their kid won't get into it.

I think most (if not all) states already have laws about the packaging not being allowed to "appeal to kids". At least some do. Shouldn't even need to be a thing, people need to just learn to hide their drugs from their kids. I'm not saying put spongebob on edibles but the packaging shouldn't have to suck because some idiot doesn't know how to be a parent.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I’m trying to overdose on weed right now.

That was the word they used in the headline that I read. I went into the article expecting really bad news but was glad to see recovery.

9. Not being harsh but to make a point, this has been a terrible week for water recreation in my area with some 8 deaths from 3 incidents. I haven’t seen any pot related deaths on the news.