Over Water Or Underwater?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by SWKbeats, May 6, 2014.

1. So all my other girls (all 5 weeks old) are in beautiful shape but one which was my most healthy one has started to droop very bad at the stems 3 days after watering. I watered it the same as all my others (which are all perky as ever) and there was no initial drooping the first couple of days post feed. Drainage was correct so I'm a tad confused. Please help me correct this before it's too late!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. If you're new to growing cannabis/plants, you're most likely overwatering.

You can't go by the look or feel of the top 1" of soil. You can't determine when to water by sticking your finger in the soil and watering when it feels dry. Sure, the top inch is dry, but how much water is left in the rest of the pot?

Over watering creates an anoxic (anaerobic) environment in the root zone. Oxygen is essential for the cycling and uptake of nutrients by soil microbes and plants. Without it, you will begin to see stunted growth, drooping leaves (not wilting), and then all sorts of various forms of "nutrient deficiency/toxicity" will begin to show themselves in the leaves. Then new growers compound the problem with flushing and over application of fertilizers trying to rectify the "problems". I've seen it happen too many times...

This is how you determine when it's time to water...

A potted plant that's ready for water should feel light when grabbed at the top and tipped up on its bottom edge with one hand. Really light, almost like a feather. The only way I can think to describe the difference between light and heavy is for you to tip your pots up after watering (to drain) to feel how heavy they are. Only water when they feel light in comparison. It'll take a little practice, but you'll get it figured out in no time. And will never have to worry about over watering again.

It's really easy to tell the difference between over watering and under watering. A plant that is overwatered will have leaf stems that are fairly erect, but at the same time the leaves themselves will droop. Like your plant now. A plant that is wilting from lack of water will have leaves AND stems that droop.

Let that plant dry out before you water it again.