Outdoorish 2018

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by inda, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Have been slaving away with getting for this next year's garden (reg veg) which is grown just like my weed. But that is not what I am here to ramble on about instead it is time for this year's lineup.

First off I will run a 500 gal, three 100s and two long terms in 20s or 30s. I would love to run all 500s but my small portion of the world I can dedicate towards this year's grow does not permit otherwise and I still need to be able to move my long terms under cover come winter.

My soil mix for this year will get cooked in the 500 and is about to go in in the coming days. I will run until it cools and then devide the mix between this year's bags and cut it with a blend of coco, soil conditioner, Turface and rice hulls approximately 50/50. Will go over the base Xtra strength mix in the coming days when I make it. It will be ammended like what I used last year but going even further wood based with much hotter ingredients.

For the interm my girls will chill in half filled plastic 20s using my current potting mix, recipe below. This will give me time to shape my girls while their bags cook and then allow for a smooth transition into their final homes.

Genetics wise I will be going with Fire Og, Master Purple, Strawberry Cough and a Fire Og x White Widow x Strawberry Cough cross for my faster girls. For my "Long Terms" a Chocolate Thai (unconfirmed, recently acquired genectics) and a Fire Og x White Widow x Dr Grinspoon cross "GS1". They are all from seed girls and I will address their lines eventually.

It is late and will do the whole picture thing when I adress the details of each Girl and my setup. As for my mostly universal "Mid Term Mix". I mix it in roughly 1 yard batches and it takes me less then 1/2 an hour by hand. I use it for almost all my plants as a transition form seedlings to final placement, initially it was used by me for my pepper plants while they waited for the proper temperatures to go outside. It is farely basic and requires the additional fertilizer for the type of plant you are growing.

1/4 ratio

6 cuft Peat (2 bales)
    6 cuft Coco (3 blocks)
    6 cuft Kellogg's Amend (3 bags, Wood based)
    6 cuft Kellogg's Garden Soil (2 bails, Wood based)
    1 cuft Chicken manure (1 bag)
    1 cuft Mushroom compost (1 bag)

6 qt Alfalfa Meal
    4 qt Green Sand
    4 qt Gypsum

If on hand 6 qt leonardnite also

After this adjustments made for plants.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Some delays getting everything together but I have my spot already picked out and have started the initial prep work. The area was previously overgrown with blackberries and other random junk and was a massive undertaking to clear out but should be far enough along to get my mix into the 500 to cook. I had to back fill about 2 yards of dirt to get it level and laid down cardboard with light weight landscape fabric over it to choke out any blackberry roots I may have missed. The soil on the tarp is getting hauled out soon but for now I will just have to work around it.

IMG_20180427_093856.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  3. I did not beat the rain by the time I was ready to mix up soil and it will be hard to evenly mix my dries if the base is too wet. This year will be 100% fresh mix and will be cooking the Kellogg's Amend, peat and ammendments together. I have found mixing the Amend (wood base) with coffee grounds shaves a week or two off the cook time. Even then looks like they will get their final plant out in June a couple weeks later then I would like but did not have enough stuff to make my base earlier. This is the recipe I am going with this year to make 5 yards of super soil, this is just the first half of the end mix and is 8 times the listed values.

2 bags (4 cuft) Kellogg's Amend
    1 bale (3cuft) peat
    1 cuft used coffee grounds

2 qt Alfalfa meal
    1 qt Seed meal
    1 qt Bone meal
    1 qt Soft rock phosphate
    1 qt Kelp meal
    2 qt Green sand
    2 qt Rock dust
    2 qt Gypsum
    .5 qt Super Sweet
    1 c Lime

Cook until cool
    Cut in half with coco/agregate/soil conditioner

IMG_20180427_141155.jpg IMG_20180427_141245.jpg IMG_20180427_171614.jpg IMG_20180427_171700.jpg IMG_20180427_171635.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. I managed to get a double batch done between the rain so a quarter of the way done. It is much easier to mix the dry ingredients into material that is not excessively wet. For this batch I laid down 1 bale of dry peat and broke it mostly up doesn't need to be perfect yet. Ontop I spread 4 bags of Kellogg's Amend, if not moist add water. Next I mix up all the dry ingredients in a green tub I got from Ikea and then spread on the ammend. A dust mask or a neckerchief is really needed, the greensand, rock dust and lime are 100 micron sieved. I mix the ammend and dry ingredients by hand, a few extra minutes here getting the mixture even speeds up cooking time. After this I spread a layer of coffee and then then last bale of peat. I then mix the pile with an old dull spade. Later will get an estimate on weights of dry ingredients and a more comprehensive explanation of what I did mixing soil.

• Like Like x 2
  5. First off here is the rough weights of dry ingredients per qt.

Kelp meal 10 oz total 5 lbs
    Seed meal 5 oz total 2.5 lbs
    Bone meal 14 oz total 7 lbs
    Alfalfa meal 6 oz total 6 lbs
    Rock phosphate 10 oz total 5 lbs
    Super sweet 10 oz total 2.5 lbs
    Gypsum 10 oz total 10 lbs
    Green sand 8 oz total 8 lbs
    Lime 12 oz total 3 lbs
    Rock dust 16 oz 16 lbs

That works out to 65 lbs of ammendments. On top of that added about 4 cuft of chicken coop sweepings and about the same of spent coffee. I overshot my volume so pulled 2 bags of ammend and 4 bales of peat. Luckily I caught it about halfway through and was able to adjust it without throwing off dry ingredients.

The best method I have for mixing by hands is follows. Having the peat dry and the ammend moist helps with the process.

IMG_20180427_185552.jpg

Step 1 Break up a bale of peat and spread on a tarp. It helps if the bale is bone dry and only needs to be broken down to fist size peices at this point.
    IMG_20180427_190113.jpg

Step 2 Spread Amend over peat.
    IMG_20180427_190444.jpg

Amend up close up, it is wood based and probably fine enough to mostly pass through 1/8" sieve.
    IMG_20180427_190449.jpg

Amend label front and back.
    IMG_20180427_190500.jpg IMG_20180427_190525.jpg

Step 3 Mix together all the Dry ingredients, I found putting the fine stuff in the tote first helps with mixing.
    IMG_20180427_191812.jpg

Step 4 Dump dry ingredients over ammend and then mix into the top layer. This is where the base layer of peat helps because you can see the color difference between it and the ammend which helps to show when it is mixed well.

IMG_20180427_192108.jpg IMG_20180427_192750.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. Step 4 Add about a cuft of spent coffee.
    IMG_20180427_193507.jpg

Step 5 Cover with remaining peat and then mix. I find a spade works best for chopping up peat and mixing and then a little kids rake for pulling up the chunks that roll down the pile to the edges. Which brings up the kids rake, it is an extremely useful tool and if you do not have one yet to buy one.
    IMG_20180427_194802.jpg

Step 6 put into pile or grow bag and add water. I got lucky and it started raining as I was finishing so may not need to add much water. I will also sprinkle blood meal ontop of the mix to water in to help kick start the cooking process. I will also make 20 gallons of molasses water, about a 1:10 ratio, tomorrow and dump it on top tomorrow.

-------------- End Instructions

Either the peat fluffed up more then expected or I added alot more chicken coop sweepings then I thought and had to leave out some peat and ammend. I measured my second batch and it came up any of 150 gallons of mix and by the time I added it to the bag it was 2/3rds of the way full already. So adjusted the remaining mix and mixed it up as a single batch. The bag is mostly full and should have just enough room to turn it. I could have probably got a 600 Gallon bag in the frame and considering getting one because I will have to dig out this mix and cut it so could do it then. Will have to look when it is not raining how much room is between the bag and the castle blocks the posts sit in. The frame got a little damaged taking it apart and moving it but part of that is my fault because of how I made it. I should have spent a little more time and made a jig for drilling the holes for the carriage bolts. It will be nice having the frame in place before hand instead of last year having to transfer a decent size plant from T posts to the frame. When I switched over it may be what contributed to losing half of the plant last year. After cleaning up last year there was signs that the plant had a deep spilt into the crown sub soil and it probably was severely limiting the uptake of water. At a certain point that side of the plant just could not keep up with the corresponding canopy. Another issue was how closely my branching came out from the crown I did not leave much room to spot a spilt and repair it. Will see how it goes this year but should be able to get a even larger girl this year, the question is what one will get the prime bag?

IMG_20180428_182339.jpg IMG_20180428_182316.jpg IMG_20180428_194249.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. The rain that I got, even though over and inch, barely could wet the surface before it would dry back out from the heat. Just a little water and it starts to cycle, about to water in molasses today. I plan on getting a thermometer for it on Friday because I am curious to see what temps it hits. Below is a pic of something else that is keeping busy. The bed is 24' long and then the two beds are 20' by 30" wide.
    IMG_20180501_173952.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. Heating up pretty well and did not have to us any molasses water to get it going. No rain forecasted for a week so will probably have to water it daily possibly even twice. I am waiting off to turn it until I have my thermometer but expect that it will smell something fierce when I do.

IMG_20180503_135801.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  9. Checked it today and was getting anywhere from 120-140 f with most spots at 125. I maybe put about 50 gallons of water on it last night and it is almost dry today. Most of the coffee filters have disappeared from the core already and moved the remaining ones from the edge into middle while turning it. At this rate I maybe cutting it middle of the month but would like to get to the 150-160 range for atleast a day to pasteurize the soil first. Will water again a couple hours before the sun goes down and then see where I am tomorrow and if I need to will toss some more nitrogen in the mix.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Still kicking, been awhile since I have updated but have all my outdoor girls in place. Had to spread my ammended soil further then I was planning on so some of the bags have about 1/3 and my larger one is about 2/5. Then I had to use some of last years soil in two 25s. So the definitive line up is as follows

SWR 500 gal (Strawberry Cough x White Widow x Rascal OG)
    SWR 100 gal (Strawberry Cough x White Widow x Rascal OG)
    Master Purple 100 gal (Master Kush x Purple Kush)
    WW ROG 100 gal (White Widow x Rascal OG)
    Strawberry Cough 100 gal
    Rascal OG 100 gal (Red Pheno)
    Rascal OG 100 gal (Green Pheno)
    White Widow '15 25 gal
    White Lavender 25 gal
    CBD Tonic 20 gal

In the greenhouse

Dr Grinspoon x White Widow x Rascal OG x2?
    Chocolate Thai x2

Container size maybe 30s, have not decided yet.

Will transfer pics from camera sometime tomorrow. They are in later then I would like but held them over in some half filled 20s until I had time to clear out their location and get the bags in place. Still have to do some cleanup to do, some branches to trim and dripline to run but got most the hard work past me until harvest.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Howzit inda - good to see you back posting. Looks like more big things this season. Some cool crosses going. Did the Grinspoon have that freaky look like advertised....the tendrils of buds?
    How did that C99 smoke? Which breeder?
    I ask because I have C99 going in my garden this year (female seeds feminized). Best of the harvest this year!

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  12. #12 inda, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Nope it did not, I have only ever once got that years ago. I have a cross though that reminds me of it at this stage so will know this winter. The one in the past made probably the best full melt to ever pass through my hands and it super easy to process since your working with mostly single calyxes and a small amount of leaves. Need to find my SD adapter then will get pics up, was a long market day so pretty beat this evening. It was an off brand, billiburn, so not sure how true it really is but it it seemed pretty dead on. It was great for day time smoke when you have shit to get done and had a potent overly ripe pineapple aroma when breaking up a bud for a joint. Sadly that did not carry over as strong when smoking but still smooth and just as good 8 months later. I had a lot of people asking me for it after giving them some to try.

• Like Like x 2
  13. First off, some listening music as I put this together.

I found a shitty adapter, not the one I wanted, but alas will get the worth more then a thousand words up. Will probably do it girl by girl (or commons combined) per post about what I think I know about them.

• Like Like x 2
  14. First off, The Rascal OG or also know as Fire OG when Orgnkid sold the clone to Rascal in the 90s, it goes back to the birth of all those damn OGs and will birth some moar by my hand but that is for a later post. I first received this girl 4 years ago via a very trusted source (serves up pot to WWF dudes on yachts and shit) and I am running two from self seeds of this girl. The seeds come from the selfed orginal clone and even with a homogeneous gene set still continue to express multiple phenos. Even with only the single X chromosome being passed along there continues to be more then a single pheno, which for anyone who has been recently skooled in biology or bothers to stay abreast of it will attribute this (multi pheno, silly monkeys think they know it all) to resequencing which personally I have seen this first hand here with this strain and a few others but that is not the point for today. For the most part their is a very evident expression which we will refer to as greens and reds which I am sure I have one of each right now. The Red first off is more stunning to the eye and produces some of the most beautiful oils of a deep crimson color and deep red veining in the leaves of her prodigy, she gave me my multi colored Alice. The second category is the green which is less visually intoxicating but she hits you in the face with a 10 lbs sledge hammer while the hardest of us clears their lungs out not by our own involution. Now my current girls of this variety, two, are showing one of each, which you can tell from the under sides of the leaves in veg by cutting the nitro and giving it a slight chill. A friend of mine I gave this smoke to this once told me "I could not sleep all night because I was playing with legos, and I have not touched them in ten years" so in some small circles now is also know as lego pot. I originally found my first girl of the red variety and placed her into my stables this year, but decided to add a green down the road because she just punches you in the face and when you come to your senses you beg for more. Either one is prime and both got 100 gal pot.

The Green ROG 3

IMG_0099.JPG IMG_0098.JPG

The Red ROG 6
    IMG_0106.JPG IMG_0105.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  15. Next we have a Strawberry Cough, she comes from Dutch Passion and was select out of 5 this year. Early on she was expressing a strong camphor stem smell (which is the part which makes you hack a lung) which matured into the sweet strawberry smell which Kyle procreated down the line once she started to show her junk. From my experience its the limy green ones that smell the best and it is what I pursued and I picked my queen. She is better then the Girl I used for my first (yes I intend to push this line further) SWR line. and intend to make her a new corner stone in that line. She was cut back hard to the nodes and just starting to reach back out. but expect for her to fill out fast.

IMG_0112.JPG IMG_0114.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  16. Master Purple aka "mkpk" is a cross between a DP Master Kush male and the clone only Purple Kush. I was able to pick her out of about 75 plants from seed plants based upon my previous experience with P Kush. She has some amazing striped stems and a fruit striped gum smell. The best part is I have the matching male to go with her. She is one of the fruitiest plants I have ever smelled and I intend to inbreed her against her brother to stabilize this, not a 100% true Purple Kush but she is heavily leaning that way with a scent that blows the original out of the waterif it carries down the line.

IMG_0125.JPG IMG_0128.JPG

Also in a 100

• Like Like x 1
  17. The next Girl, my Alice, is SWR as three way Strawberry Cough x White Widow ('15 first solid blue line expression aprox F20ish) x Rascal OG (original Ccone). This menage a trios produces some of the most beautiful girls I have seen yet a broad range of hues as they flower from pinks and reds to deep purples and smurf blues. This plant is not for the end user more so as the grower to gaze upon, I picked two out of many dozen, the fastest grower #1 and then what I suspect will have the best visual appeal #5 which claimed my prime 500 gallon spot, I hope she expresses what I have seen from her line in the past. I lost the male half which is required to grow her and I am currently working on recreating my wwrog male which is key to the line (see ROG 6 red line).

IMG_0130.JPG IMG_0131.JPG
    IMG_0133.JPG IMG_0134.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  18. I added a White Widow x Rascal OG back cross (a male WW crossed to the original clone of Rascal OG) to the mix only because she had some vanilla undertones and decided to reveg this girl.
    IMG_0115.JPG IMG_0117.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  19. This is a White Widow girl from 2015 seed lot whose brother was used to create the White Widow x Rascal OG line as above and also was the same line used to create my SWR line. I only kept her because I have room for her and also because she was trying so hard to reach for the sun. She was only given a 25 but expect her to be one of my tallest girls.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  20. These pics are from the same time as others.

This is my White Lavender which is from G13 labs, It came as a freebie sometime ago. Years ago I was growing Somas Lavender so curious to see how this comes out. She is also in a 25.

IMG_0118.JPG IMG_0120.JPG

Then I have a Dutch Passion CBD tonic in a 20.

IMG_0123.JPG IMG_0124.JPG

This is one of my Chocolate Thia girls in a half filled plastic 20. She will get moved to the greenhouse after I refit it and go into a larger root pouch.

IMG_0101.JPG IMG_0103.JPG

Next there is this girl which was a Greenspoon cross but I moved the bag over to my grow area and she started to shrivel up the next day. No clue as what caused it and I have given her a couple days to see what happens but she will go to the compost tomorrow. I will see if I can get another of her sister back from a buddy.

IMG_0110.JPG

• Like Like x 2