Outdoor Survalence Camera?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by HeadySpaghetti, May 18, 2010.

1. i looked at those too but most of the video surveillance cameras i saw you had to plug them in somewhere. i mean if yu growin in your backyard i guess that would be fine cause you could plug it into your house but if you out in the woods like me, theres really no place to plug it in

2. Now we're getting somewhere. I can give you a tip or two. First find out what the thing you are looking for is called. Then go to google and insert the name of the thing, followed by 'lowest price." Or you can take the name straight to amazon and do an amazon search and voila! You now know how to find what you're looking for every time. Aren't you glad you came to the city?

3. I come from a family of avid hunters, and am one myself, and trust me, these problems can be avoided.

Any modern good quality trail cam should have an infrared flash, or a flash of a light frequency not visible by people. You'll get a different picture quality, but you'll know if anyone is around.

Also, on most good quality cams you dont' need to go back to check the picture as hunters want to keep noticed movement in the area to a minimum. Some of them have a wireless deeley that hooks up to your computer for remote viewing. Also, most cops aren't likely to be sketched out by a trail cam as they're quite common these days (at least where I live). Considering they aren't suspect of your plant already, a trail cam won't alert them to a grow op unless they're already suspecting you of growing in that area.

I know Muddytires mentioned the infra-red flash, just figured I'd mention it again. And also, a cop has NO right to take a trail cam, even if it is near or even at a grow op. Because of the nature of them they are commonly placed on private property by people who don't own the property. A cop taking a trail cam is a violation of personal property and any relation to the cam in court would be deemed admissable.

Hope that was helpful

Happy tokin

-stain-

4. thanks for that stain.+rep

i hunt alot too that where i got the idea from. i just dont own one. and i cant exactly ask my uncle for his trail cam to watch if anyones fuckin with my site haha.

can you explain the "wireless deeley that hooks up to your computer for remote viewing" i tried to google it and look for cams with this but i couldnt find any.

i didnt even think that the cop has no right to take it. unfortunately in my experiences most cops do what they want then make up some other B.S. to cover their ass later( example- in my state its illegal for cops to sit in the parking lot and wait for people to leave a bar then pull them over((its entrapment,look it up)) but if the cops called out on it he most likely will just tell you he's "investigating a suspicous person report" or somethin)

anyway didnt mean to turn that into a post about how cops suck . sorry.

5. how much will a infared one cost me? do they have those at dicks or walmart

6. Edit: You hit home on that shpeel about the cops :p

Haha I know what you mean about not being able to ask your uncle bout shit like that. Anyway, about the remote viewing, I sold trail cams and optics a while back while working at a sporting goods store (more so hunting than sporting, but back to the point), and I know the cams that had remote viewing were made by Bushnell. I never really understood how they worked, but I got one for my cousin a while back and he claims it works great. I don't have a model number right now but I'll try to find one and I'll come back to update. (btw, there aren't many varieties of this, it's still kind of experiemental you know?).

Also, another thing that was mentioned by someone else is to get one that just had a couple gig SD card in it and just go recover the sd card, lets say, every two weeks. That would still keep movement quite minimal, and would be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying the more expensive one described above.

Hmm, can't figure out how to do two quotes in one reply. Anyway, to headyspaghetti's question, "how much will a infared one cost me? do they have those at dicks or walmart"
    Walmart should have infrared, I'd be surprised if they don't. And if they don't I'd say a Canadian Tire, or any respectable sporting goods store will have them.

Happy tokin

-stain-

7. yea man if you could hit me up with a product number or Model number or something that'd be great cause i tried lookin it up and cant find a Bushnell with the remote viewing feature . it looks like they have a great product for a great price... might be gettin a Bushnell haha

the SD card is probably the route i will go just cause im a broke college kid and cant drop like 300 bucks on one of these things right now...... but im definately interested and if its not tooooo much extra i might have to just do it. i mean remote viewing would be so sick. imagine if you had one pointed at your plants and you could tell if they needed water or anything without having to go into the woods and risk being seen going to or leaving your spot. OR if your spot was found by the 5-oh you'd know to stay away till the coast was clear to move them. just another step of added security.

8. Yeah, I know what you mean. And as for Bushnell, if you're spending under $500 they're the brand you want to go with in my experience. They tend to last quite a long time, and aren't to difficult to use. Also almost all modern Bushnell trail cams come with an infrared camera and a regular flash system as well.

As for remote viewing, I haven't gotten that product number yet (I'm trying to get a hold of my cousin, it wasn't in the store I used to work at), but I'm workin on it. However I do remember that it was fuckin expensive compared with a normal cam.

Personally I'd say just get a really high memory SD-C. That way you can still examine your photos without going near the plants, and worst case scenario you see the cops on the cam, just take the cam down and move on lol.

I know that where I live (Saskatchewan, Canada), cops set up trail cams next to outdoor ops. My buddy was busted that way, the cop found his stash so instead of waiting for buddy to come back, he just threw a cam up there and checked it after two weeks. Buddy just figured it was another hunter.

So yeah, if you threw up a cam with a nice memory card in it you'd probably only have to spend around $100-$150 to get a cam with infrared (price could vary depending on where you live I guess). Also, on a lot of modern trail cams you can view the pictures on the cam itself, compared to taking it home to upload the pictures on your comp. That could be quite convenient, just go to your trail cam every two weeks and you wouldn't even need to take the card out (taking the card out to upload pictures obviously leaves the camera blind for that period of time till the cards back, which could be long enough for someone to wander through...) just look through the pictures on site. I'd do that before you visit the plant EVERY TIME, just in case, that way you'd have the jump.

Hope that helps

Happy tokin

-stain-

9. thanks dude. yea just let me know when you get the product number cause i'd love to see this thing

that sucks about your friend dude, thats what im trying to avoid. hopefully, if one finds my spot(God forbid) i can see him before he sees me, that sorta deal ya know.

thanks again man your post have been some of the most helpful that i have read lately, i'd +rep you agian but it wont let me.