Outdoor Soil Problem! Please help!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by gman00910, May 25, 2012.

1. Im about to plant in a week or so, but the spot im at has clay soil. What should I do?:confused: I was either going to dig a hole and use a trash bag as a barrier and fill it with nice soil with holes at the bottom OR dig a hole and just fill it with nice soil, hoping that most of the roots will get good nutrients. So what should I do? I also cant get a hold of many 5 gallon buckets or anything like that. Also, Im planting 10 Greenhouse White Rhino seeds. So please help, greatly appreciated!!:D

2. [quote name='"gman00910"']Im about to plant in a week or so, but the spot im at has clay soil. What should I do?:confused: I was either going to dig a hole and use a trash bag as a barrier and fill it with nice soil with holes at the bottom OR dig a hole and just fill it with nice soil, hoping that most of the roots will get good nutrients. So what should I do? I also cant get a hold of many 5 gallon buckets or anything like that. Also, Im planting 10 Greenhouse White Rhino seeds. So please help, greatly appreciated!!:D[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't hurt to line it, I Don't think the roots will penetrate the clay

3. [quote name='"gman00910"']Im about to plant in a week or so, but the spot im at has clay soil. What should I do?:confused: I was either going to dig a hole and use a trash bag as a barrier and fill it with nice soil with holes at the bottom OR dig a hole and just fill it with nice soil, hoping that most of the roots will get good nutrients. So what should I do? I also cant get a hold of many 5 gallon buckets or anything like that. Also, Im planting 10 Greenhouse White Rhino seeds. So please help, greatly appreciated!!:D[/QUOTE]

dig BIG holes ( like 2 or 3 feet deep , 3 feet wide) and fill it with potting soil for each plant

4. Remember big holes in clay will catch alot of water runoff, your holes could have sitting water in them for a while, this could cause several problems, your better of digging holes wider rather than deeper, 4 ft wide and 18 inches deep would be better, raised beds would work well too.

5. Thanks for the replies! So are you guys recommending I use a trash bag or not? Also, I understand that it could kinda flood the roots since clay doesnt drain well. So I will dig wide and deep and maybe poke holes in the bottom of the clay to make the drainasge alittle better, will this help?

Also, I found this chemical mite (insect) repellent, should I use this or make my own organic formula. And will 5-8-7 nutrients be good enough or do I need more?:confused:

Thanks for all the help, really helping me out!

6. [quote name='"gman00910"']Thanks for the replies! So are you guys recommending I use a trash bag or not? Also, I understand that it could kinda flood the roots since clay doesnt drain well. So I will dig wide and deep and maybe poke holes in the bottom of the clay to make the drainasge alittle better, will this help?

Also, I found this chemical mite (insect) repellent, should I use this or make my own organic formula. And will 5-8-7 nutrients be good enough or do I need more?:confused:

Thanks for all the help, really helping me out![/quote]

I wouldn't use a trashbag, if your roots get big enough the bag would block them :/ dig a really deep&wide hole and fill it with some good potting soil. id recommend an organic formula, like garlic water or something. you can find lots of those online. also, some home&garden stores sell ladybugs, they'll eat spidermites and anything else, but wont touch your plants because they're carnivorous.

7. Never put a trash bag liner in a hole. That is beyond retarded. dont worry about clay draining into your soil. That would take a consistent amount of heavy rains all summer without the sun coming out to dry it up. If thats the case where you live your better off not growing. But I highly doubt thats the case. The whole point of going in the ground is to not limit your plant roots. Marijuana roots will grow through clay its just slower progress. I agree with about 18 inches deep and 2 feet wide or so.
    Heres a link to some REAL good bagged soils:

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/988488-ready-grow-bagged-soil.html

HTH

VOO

8. I normally would plant in the ground if the soil is all natural and nutrient, but there is clay. So would planting in 5 gallon buckets be better than just digging big holes. What is better for a bigger yield?

9. In the ground will produce a better yeild even with clay.