Outdoor harvesting how toos

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by loopy2, Oct 9, 2012.

1. #1 loopy2, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2012
    Hey y'all,
    Really hadn't planned on growing anything but had a volunteer show up in a pot on my deck and just didn't have the heart for murder. So I watered and fertilized it on occassion and talked to it daily and to my suprise she florished and has grown into a beautiful young lady of about 1.5 feet. I have never grown before and the nights here in middle GA are growing cooler by the night. I need advice on when and how to harvest for peak buzz, smell, and taste. She is a very fragrent girl and I just want to treat her the way a lady should be treated. Constructive advice would be greatly appreciated. Here are few pics.

Attached Files:

2. That's a nice looking plant. The best way to determine harvest time is to look at the trichromes on the plant with at least a 60x magnifier. When about 50% or more are opaque or milky, you can pull them then or wait a few more days and then pull them. Some will say to wait until you see some amber colored ones but I prefer the headier buzz and harvest a little sooner.

Some people also simply wait until there are no more or very few white hairs on the buds and they've all turned red or brownish in color.

About a week or so before harvesting you should flush the plant with water only if you were using nutes. And, I'd trim off the largest fan leaves a few days ahead of time which will aid in drying and save some work. Trimming is a pain in the ass but its more bearable when the leaves are supple. Then, you need to dry the buds for at least five days, maybe longer for larger buds. Then, the final step which will go a long way towards great taste and smoking properties will be the curing time. You'll need glass jars with good seals on them. Place the dried buds in those in a cool, dark place for two weeks minimum. I'd open the jars each day for a few minutes to let the gasses out and to refresh the air. If you can go a full month on the cure then that's even better. Heck, six months curing would do wonders but that's a long time to wait.

Hope that helps.

3. Thanks for your input Lizard! I've been pruning the leaves pretty regularly throughout growth...figure I want to grow what I want to smoke... bud not leaves! So really don't have too many to tend with. Haven't added anything but water n probably a month...still need to flush? So ya just cut the buds off and hang the for about a week Then put into jars...doesn't sound to hard. Got plenty of jars as I do some canning of legal veggies too! :D So is there a productive way to use the stalk, stem and leaves? Kinda operate on the waste not want not principle...lol

4. If you've only used water for the past month then you have already flushed.

I take my smaller stems and all leaves and make ISO Hash out of them. Waste not want not.

5. [quote name='"loopy2"']Hey y'all,
    Really hadn't planned on growing anything but had a volunteer show up in a pot on my deck and just didn't have the heart for murder. So I watered and fertilized it on occassion and talked to it daily and to my suprise she florished and has grown into a beautiful young lady of about 1.5 feet. I have never grown before and the nights here in middle GA are growing cooler by the night. I need advice on when and how to harvest for peak buzz, smell, and taste. She is a very fragrent girl and I just want to treat her the way a lady should be treated. Constructive advice would be greatly appreciated. Here are few pics.[/quote]

Dont trim any more leaves until you chop it that really stunts bud production

6. It's not that tough, really. Trimming is a pain and just waiting for what seems like forever is the hardest part! It's worth taking the time to do all of the steps properly. Make sure the buds are dry, cure them properly, and you'll have chronic smoke.

7. I appreciate all the feedback!

@yyz0 the hash thing sounds like a good idea....but I unfortunately have no knowledge on how to do that...any tips?

@ bluechronic....didn't know that...have filed that away for future reference. Thanks!

@ RoadLizard...gonna shoot for at least a few months in jars... may have to do a little "sampling" only for quality control of course....do you open the jars everyday until ya decide ya just can't stand it any longer or what?

8. There are a bunch of great threads on how to make hash, oil, ect. on the harvesting and processing marijuana page. Because your pretty new I would recommend the Iso method, where basically all you need is 90% iso alcohol (or as high as you can get), your material, and some sort of screen or cloth for filtering.

9. Thats right! The sun uses those fan leaves to transport sugar energy into the growing bud to help make it dank. Dont trim fan leaves!!

10. Thanks ice1017 I'll check them out. and thanks to you too danbridge...had no idea...gonna do some research to be better prepared for next volunteer...heehee

11. #12 RoadLizard, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2012
    Oh I check them almost daily. The smell gets better and better and it's an excuse to look at the beautiful frosty buds that I grew. Almost brings tears of joy to my eyes. After a few weeks you don't need to open them daily but it doesn't hurt anything.

By all means you should sample one here and there. When I harvested, I grabbed a handful or two of popcorn buds from the bottom of the plant and dried those in brown paper bags separately from the colas and bigger buds. They were ready to sample after just 3-4 days. Tested decent for popcorn buds and did pack a nice heady punch too. This means the cured buds will be astronomically awesome. :)

12. Made the call to harvest yesterday. Got it hanging. gonna grab some popcorn and will trim and do a little sampling in a few days. Figure a little sample will make the trimming less hectic. Now to round up some paper sacks... Am looking forward to trying the fruits of my labor.:D Will let ya know how it turns out. Thanks again to everybody for your input.

13. that strain looks like cheese