outdoor grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by dacolts, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Okay, I apologize sincerely if this was covered in another post. I tried searching and also read the newbie guides.

I'm planning on doing an outdoor grow. I'm concerned about male plants because I wont be able to do constant checks on my crop, maybe once every week. So I was wondering if I could VEG them indoors then kick them into 12/12 BUDDING to find out their sex? Then obviously mass murder the males.

The only problem I see with doing this is that I would have to time it with the light cycle outside so when I transplanted them, they wouldn't have to switch back to veg.

What do you guys think?

2. This time of year might be too late to do outdoors But if you veg long enough. Usually a month or two the show sex in veg as well. You don't have to start flower to show sex unless you plan in flowering tiny plants

3. if you are planning to do this, I would start a couple indoor clone them, put one of the clones in the flower box find the sex, when you get a mother you want then clone the shit out of it and put the clones out side to veg and flower. that way you don't have to worry about males too much and your crop will be somewhat uniform.

don't know where you are located but it is too late in the northern hemisphere

4. #4 dacolts, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2011
    that is a fucking OUTSTANDING idea lol. I'm planning all this for next grow season. I was planning on grabbin some big bud seeds from an Amsterdam seed bank; 30 seeds. I'm choosin big bud cause it's easy to grow and it's a HUGE yeild. So i was going to start them, sex them, then transplant them. I'm located way north (michigan) so when do you think I should start germinating the seed in time to make clones for transplant?

5. #5 pedrowarez, Nov 19, 2011
    [quote name='"dacolts"']

that is a fucking OUTSTANDING idea lol. I'm planning all this for next grow season. I was planning on grabbin some big bud seeds from an Amsterdam seed bank; 30 seeds. I'm choosin big bud cause it's easy to grow and it's a HUGE yeild. So i was going to start them, sex them, then transplant them. I'm located way north (michigan) so when do you think I should start germinating the seed in time to make clones for transplant?[/quote]

You will need enough time to allow your potential females(these are the clones you cut off of the plants you know are female, due to sexing already) to get a healthy 1' tall preferably(smaller or bigger, that's up to you), before they go/are integrated outside.

A rough example of how to figure out the requirements of your project; start with what you need to have ready and when(planting after last frost presumably). Go back from there.

30- 1' tall clone plants ready on 5/31.

These needed a veg period of 2-3 weeks after rooting in your propagation dome.

That puts you @ 5/10/12 of next year.

Now, how long does it take for you to clone?

That depends on a lot of factors, but say 7-14 days to be safe.

Now, go back to 4/27/12.

So, if you've gotten to this point, you will have needed a plant (or plants) that will be big enough to supply all 30 of your clones and are female, and unless you have a spectacular cloning ability, you will most likely lose some, so better cut 40 or more.

But, for you to cut 40 clones, you will either need a few bigger moms, or more smaller moms.

So, if you wanted to cut clones from 30 plants you sprouted, but only 15 are females, you could, in theory, cut 1-2 clones off of each plant, and have your theoretical 30 plants. Essentially, 1/2 small and 1/2 big plants.

So, it boils down to having a mom or moms that are big enough to reasonably supply clones and how many you want of the same size.

Continuing on, you decide to go the method as described above. You need 15 plants big enough to cut clones from on 4/27/12.

For that, they will need to be 1' tall or so, my preference. I recommend topping each plant, and cloning that.
    Give 4-5 weeks from seed for that. So that puts you at 3/15/12 or so, but wait, that didn't allow you time for sexing your moms on a 12/12 schedule, so add 4 more weeks for sexing the plants themselves(approx. 2 to flower and 2-3 for reveg) or add an additional 2-4 weeks to seedlings start time if you want to cut a clone and sex that. The options are endless and my fingers are tired(GC mobile app).

This all puts you at roughly the 1st of March or even around 2/15/12, and unless you got all this dialed in, you might want to start slightly sooner.

This all has MANY factors in it, so take it with a grain of salt. Your results may vary based on your approach and experience. There are pros and cons to various methods as you will find out and this is only one example of playing it safe, there are many, many other ways to slice the pie.

Sorry for the long winded response, but I'm tired and wanted to make sure I covered this one theoretical example of how to achieve your goal.

Best of luck

6. p.s. do yourself a favor and order feminized seeds. ;)

7. damn man, thanks for your response, I really appreciate it. Helped me out a lot.:hello:

8. pedrowarez is spot on on the time table, also solid advice on the fem seeds.

my advise get more than one strain, you are doing all the front end work anyway why not treat your self to some nice different flavors.

9. #9 pedrowarez, Nov 19, 2011
    [quote name='"Mixted"']pedrowarez is spot on on the time table, also solid advice on the fem seeds.

my advise get more than one strain, you are doing all the front end work anyway why not treat your self to some nice different flavors.[/quote]

Mixted is right. You might as well throw in a few different strains and have yourself a little variety. There's no reason to do all this planning and end up with one choice/strain.

There are many great producers(and potent strains) which are fairly easy to grow.

Explore your options and do a little more homework for your own benefit.

10. #10 dacolts, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2011
    Yeah, thats great advice too. Its just that feminized seeds are so damn expensive!! That is the option I'm going to go with though. Cloning is awesome but it's so much work. When do you guys think I should start them from seedlings? Late February, Early March?

thanks for all the help guys.

11. #11 Mixted, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2011
    introduce this you can get single femmed seeds at a fraction of the cost, super stealth shipping. I normally don't go endorsing products or places but this one has done me right, you literally get a mix of strains for the cost of a single pack of femmed seeds.

I would go late feb, but I am an indoor grower mostly. also I would suggest having a stable mother prior to the feb date.