outdoor fertilizers and tips.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by johnnyboy1488, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Hey guys I'm new to growing and this will be my first time outdoors. ( I live in Ontario).so basically I'm wondering what you guys do for soil(use the natural soil in the ground, mix it 50/50 with my potting soil, or dig my big holes and fill it with all new soil?) And then my fertilizers... since I'm not able to regulate feeding how do I fert my ladies? Mix it with my soil? Get one of those fert sticks?? Please help guys all is appreciated

2. Anyone out there?

3. Raised beds are much less work than digging the size hole you need to get a good mix of soil

The food is the same just on a much bigger level
    Use a 55 gal barrel and mix in that and get a 160 gal per min pump and some hose and water with that
    Sent from iPhone 5

4. I'm an organic enthusiast so my soil mix goes like this.
    1/3 Canadian sphagnum peat moss
    1/3 compost and EWC (50/50 mix)
    1/3 aeration amendment

I then amend with the following per cubic foot
    1 cup of lime
    1 cup of kelp meal
    1.5 cup dry organic fert
    4 cups of rock dust

I mix it all into a large trough and moisten with my special Aerated Compost Tea and let it cook for a few weeks (depending on the temp)

Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding

5. Lol so basically I need to build a big ass square and fill it with my own mix? How the hell do I make that affortable for 100+ ladies. That's. Not that cost is the biggest factor but I just dont feel like spend thousands....

6. You could to a mix like only raise up 16 in and dig down a foot and they only have to be like 3x3 squares that would give you about 28 in of total depth that's about what I would dig down if you were to dig it all the way weed gots deep roots

You can reuse the boxes every year if you spend the money now too just remember that

Sent from iPhone 5

7. hi from seattle, i would like to chip in this thread

There are may ways you can test your soil before you add materials to it and I would rely mainly on visual cues. First collect soils from a few different places in the yard and put them in their respective solo cups (label for best effect). Take the soil from each cup and moisten it in your hand, squeezing the excess water out and see how malleable it is then. Can you form a small figurine with the soil or does it crumble too fast? if it is crumbling you may need to add more clay, or minerals to the soil. The clay/rock dust acts as a binding material, basically gluing the particles together but also reacting with humus and releasing the nutrients locked in the mineral to your soil fauna and your plants.

stop me if im going too fast lol

Then there's compaction, which is worth noting but not digging up your yard over the issue. Just check to see if you can run your hand through the surface of the soil or it's too dense. if so, you may want to add humus to the surface, in the worst compaction up to 6'' of compost materials.

Composts just need to be "fixed" on the grower's end by adding rock dust mineral as well as dry organic fertilizer blends. Avoid many animal by-products in the fertilizer as it willa ttract many unwanted animals.

sow the whole area with a diverse cover crop mix, and keep it trimmed with a scythe or other tool that does not smush the root too much. Clover's are especially notorious for being useful companion plants to cannabis, thriving in low light settings and resistant to trampling and drought. In fact, clover's return most of the hydrogen that cannabis transpires from the roots back into the soil, decreasing watering needs this way.

hope that helps