Our universe is a bubble, surrounded by other bubbles

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Echoes of Floyd, Jul 24, 2011.

1. #1 Echoes of Floyd, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011
    What's Up Blades :wave:

This kid at my work gets a subscription to "Discover" magazine.

And today i was reading an article (I'm sorry I'll edit later and get all the accurate details and names), apparently there have been recent discoveries that are universe does indeed have a boundary, a bubble shape. And have also noticed 4 'bumps' in in the outer shell of our universe, suggesting collisions from outer bubbles.

EDIT: The article I found this in was in Discover magazine, the article was called "Has the Universe been in a fender bender"

"with an outrageous turnover that was recently made by british physicists, the outer edge of the universe has for bumps on it that can only have been created by collision with something outside...other universes that exist in bubbles beyond our own, which by the way if itself a bubble."

Have any of you Blades heard this story, or maybe read this same article?

2. My bubble was popped a LONG time ago.

3. To me, the term universe denotes, " that which encompasses all that is". So the idea of it being in something is a bit troubling for me. Are you suggesting a plurality of some sort? I just don't see a referent for "universes" out there that would make sense.

4. I subscribe to the Chaotic inflation theory and Multiverse level 2 and 4 interpretations also, at least at the moment i do. With 3 dimensions it would suggest that the universe is indeed spherical, as it must appear the same in every direction we look, and thus the idea of a bubble appears.

5. Our observable sphere is the range we are able to see into space. Other matter certainly exists outside the Hubble sphere and is acting upon galaxies near the universes' "edge".

http://bigbangneverhappened.org/p27.htm

Big Bang theory has become analogous to the the notion of a geocentric solar system. It is a flawed and entrenched state-funded concept, and anything contradicting it will not receive funding. It doesn't fit newer observational evidence without an absurd amount of free parameters. Our observations about the Universe have been correct, but our interpretation has been wrong.

6. There is a theory that what we are calling dark energy is actually the pull from the matter in the next universe over from us. Of course I don't think they've proven it but it was a very compelling idea.

7. Yes, the whole inflationary aspect of current Big Bang theory is messy. I prefer the interpretation born of M-Theory known as the ekpyrosis, where 2 branes collide, bouncing off of each other and creating what we have wrongly interpreted as a 'Big Bang'.

8. #9 Freshkush, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    This. Everyone interested should watch through the wormhole. Pretty awesome description of what OP is curious about.

The theory is that our university, not solar system, actually is confined to a "space". And other universes are surrounding ours, and possibly making contact (physically colliding if you will) with ours.

Crazy shit.

9. This thread is already a speculative headache. Oh boy!

10. #11 HookedonPhonics, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011
    This. However, due to perturbative approaches and BPS states being used to acquire the approximate calculations used by M-Theory to 'smooth' our the horrendous equations of the coupling constant and the duality between the other 5 (or 6 as M-Theory incorporates Supergravity) theories. I think it's still a little too early to put all eggs in one basket. Moreover, as you've said there is just something magical about the theory, and i have been a supporter of supersymmetry for some time.

11. I'm just saying that the term, "universe", properly understood must by definition encompass everything there is, and as such I don't understand the concept of things being outside it. It makes me think of this paper.....

http://www.philoscience.unibe.ch/documents/kursarchiv/WS06/lewis.pdf

Stay with me for a moment, if universe means, "that which encompasses everything there is", then when we discover something outside it, whether through empirical means or rational speculation, then have we really discovered something outside it? Or have we just discovered that our previous concept of universe was insufficient as we have now discovered something that wasn't included in it?

12. Alright blades I'm at worknow on my phone and will quote this article,

"with an outrageous turnover that was recently made by british physicists, the outer edge of the universe has for bumps on it that can only have been created by collision with something outside...other universes that exist in bubbles beyond our own, which by the way if itself a bubble."

13. "outside the universe" just seems like nonsense. Isn't everything part of the universe by definition of the term universe? It might be better to say, "outside the parts of the universe we've already discovered".

14. Everything that obeys this universes laws, yes, but what if these other bubbles had laws that made the world operate in ways we couldnt even imagine.

That would follow the theory of our universe expanding, perhaps when a bubble (or universe) is created it grows until the pressure of the other bubbles surrounding it begin to push it back. Perhaps then it shrinks down to the size of when it started, and with a bang begins to expand again...

Just a thought.

Just took my first toke of the day too :smoke:

15. #16 mrgoodsmoke, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011
    You wouldn't call them part of this universe, if that's what you're trying to describe might I suggest possible world semantics? It's great for describing things in set-theoretical terms, and since we're talking about bubbles outside the universe where different physical laws come into play it'd probably be an interesting thing to read about.
    Check this out: http://www.philoscience.unibe.ch/documents/kursarchiv/WS06/lewis.pdf

16. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhr1mEx2x-s]‪Through the Wormhole - Season 2, Episode 2: Is There an Edge to the Universe? [Full-Length]‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Morgan Freeman is always relevant

17. Great vid ^^^

What we used to perceive as 'Universe' now has a shell, now has boundaries. A shell with 4 'bumps' on it, that suggestion collision with outer 'bubbles'

So the universe mentioned here is what we previously thought as the universe, so we can call that a sub-universe.

So everything & anything to exist can still be considered in the One Universe. But now I'm saying there is new discoveries to many bubbles, sub-universes (what we all thought was originally our universe), inside The Universe

lol :confused: hope that makes sense

18. The term that tends to be used by cosmologists in said scenario is 'multiverse'.

19. What if each unverse that makes up a multiverse was an entrance to another dimension....and we could transport our Spirit through space to experience them after death?...akin to quantum jumping that timeline through space...

....oh no...my bad...this is not S&P section......................lol