Other Galaxys?

Discussion in 'High Ideas' started by Dizzy, Sep 14, 2021.

1. More less lifespan is so short we won’t even know we were here , unless there’s an afterlife everyday is one closer to extinction …
    Space travel is impossible too fragile .. too short lifespan , it’s a graveyard

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. I don't think life, or at least complex lifeforms, are all that prevalent in the universe. The conditions to not just create life, but to sustain it and allow it to diversify and grow more complex are rare. There is a string of "turning points" that need to be achieved in order for that to happen. You need a relatively stable star. You need to be close enough to said star for life on land to take root. You need to be in a quiet neighbourhood. You don't want to be anywhere near a star nursery. or a black hole, or a pulsar/neutron star, or a quasar. You don't want to be constantly getting smacked by extinction level asteroid and comet impacts either. There's more "turning points" that I can't recall off-hand. I do believe that life is scattered throughout the universe. However, I think complex, intelligent life is a rarity indeed.

We also need to understand that when we look at the stars, we are looking back into the past. Some star that is 1000 light years away may have gone nova 350 years ago but to us for the next 650 years it'll still be shining in the night sky.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. My car has had min min lights following me for 30mins. They seem intelligent and I don't think they even need this earth as they seem to seamlessly blend into the stars with some sort of depth perception trick, then fly back to my car in 3 sec continuing to weave in and out of the trees just off the side of the road. Wtf are they!

That's not even the strangest stuff they did.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Well, about the quiet neighborhood part, life formed during the great bombardment when it was anything but quiet around here.

But I believe we are beyond the space limit for complex life on other planets to matter if it's out there. Too far too long to travel, anything you send out either needs to hit speeds that alter it's time frame relative to ours and mean we will all probably be long dead before it can get back or it just takes so long to get there we have the same result lol. Until we figure out a way to jump past moving through space while time passes, if that's possible, we are kinda limited to relatively close by stuff.

Of course if we find cellular life or animal life that would be crazy but we would know we landed a million years too early as well lol.

• Creative Creative x 1
  5. Right, and life was nothing but simple, single cell life forms. It wasn't until 600 million years ago that the first multi-cellular life forms evolved. That's over 3 billion years after the Late Heavy Bombardment. That's when evolution was really able to take off, creating more diverse and complex forms of life. And even then, multicellular life has been through 5 extinction level events since. That's why I said I believe that life is scattered throughout the universe but complex, intelligent life is incredibly rare.
    There also seems to be a strange, underlying mechanism in evolution where high diversity and complexity leads to a persistent increase in extinction rates.

• Like Like x 2
  6. I guess I just mistook when you said you need to be in a quiet neighborhood as not a place where Armageddon level events have occured 5times lol although one extinction event was estimated to be a result of life itself.

7. A few thoughts...please understand that I'm higher than a kite so...
    There just about has to be tens of thousands of inhabited planets. In our galaxy alone, the Milky Way, there are millions of earth like planets out there. We shouldn't be so conceited to think we're the only intelligent life out there...

I'm guessing we're in the middle of the intelligence spectrum of life forms. I'm sure there are many many forms out there where we would appear to them, like amoebas do to us. And I'm sure there are planets that are in their earliest era of formation...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. My mind is n space but my feet r on the ground.

• Creative Creative x 1
  9. Well, what it's like right outside our galaxy is sattelite galaxies, so it would pretty much be the same as it is right now except if you go to Draco, then some weird shit might happen.
    Outside of that is not a place you want to be. It is cold, dark, lifeless and there is no real usable energy.
    If we're talking about being in another galaxy, it'd be pretty much the same except different stars.

As for other life in the universe, with a finite number of elements in the universe with a finite amount of possible elemental combinations, it is completely ridiculous to come to the conclusion that we are alone in the universe.
    It is actually theorized that there is multi-cellular life, not outside our galaxy, but in our own star system in orbit around Sol 5 and Sol 6.
    And that's just carbon based oxygen dependent life.

• Creative Creative x 1
  10. What About Life Like Us On Earth Or More Advance Or Less Advance But Still Smart Ina Way?

~Toni~

11. Advanced is a subjective term in this context.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. What Do You Mean?

~Toni~

13. Well, to someone advanced could be the ability to create a functioning society.
    To someone else advanced could be the ability to easily produce objects like a Dyson Sphere.

• Creative Creative x 1
  14. I Meant More Advance Like They Able To Do Or Make Stuff We Can't Do On Earth Yet Or By Less Advance Like A Caveman Used To Be Still At That Level Or Some Kinda Alien Animal Species. You See All That Kinda Stuff On Star Wars An Star Trek Or Like The Halo Video Game Series. I Know It Fiction But It Just A Example.

~Toni~

15. There is a possibility of that but that also requires you to accept the possibility that war is a purely human phenomenon.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Ohh I See What You Sayin. But Maybe There Are Alotta Other Species Out There Some Dangerous An Some Peaceful?

~Toni~

• Creative Creative x 1