OSG's Kief Collecting for making Hashish or Smoking

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by oldskoolgrower, Apr 16, 2009.

1. #101 oldskoolgrower, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2011
    Age does matter. THC degrades over time unless it was in a freezer. As for the oven, just use low temperatures, 200-220F and take your time. Practice on a few smaller batches first. Like I said people have made hashish this way for centuries. It's not rocket science :)

EDIT: More time for more volume too. Heavy weights are great for pressing the kief as well. When I made larger blocks I'd put the heated mass between two thick glass plates and (carefully) set weights on the top then let it sit.

2. OK .... not in a freezer. Kept in prescription pill viles. THey have a great seal but I'll keep seperate anyting over a year. It's all golden still and no rank smells. I did 3 Gs
    after watching your vid and all went great but there is no way I could do all this 3 Gs at
    a time.

I have some steal plates I could bake and use to press and a table leg for a roller. I don't have the plastic wrap yet but I have a package of "gimbals' jelly beans and the bag is hella thick. Will it matter if there is print on the plastics bag?

Thanks for your help Bro. ..... I don't want to mess this up.

3. I would use a few layers of cheesecloth for larger batches rather than plastic

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. OK ..... can cheesecloth be reused and how many layers should I go with
    for each bundle? Do I still wrap in paper too?

Also what would be the largest amount you suggest in a single bundle? Is
    an ounce at a time doable? Or can I do more?

I'm gonna video this one batch at a time and, if OK, ask for your reviews.
    Maybe make a hash journal. Would love your participation. :smoke:

Please see PM.

5. Great thread. Do people press dry sift because it's easier for them to handle? If handling weren't a problem, and I could smoke the kief directly, should I even bother with pressing it?

6. It's mostly a matter of handling, but personally I prefer pressed hash to loose kief. Kief is fine to sprinkle on a bowl but hash you can break into chunks and smoke as is without the bud too if you want. Harder to do that with kief.

7. Interesting. Any personal favorite strains that you grow for collecting only? :smoke:

8. Not really. I make a little hash and hash oil out of every harvest, regardless of strain. It's just me and my wife smoking it so I always wind up with far more than we can use, hence I can turn a lot of that into concentrates.

I do tend to make a lot of hash from my Hash Plant (go firgure). It is named such for a reason ;)

9. the video is no longer available :(

10. does kief technically get more potent when put threw the oven? was wondering cause like your other thread with qwiso and putting that in the oven to make it more potent (forgot what the actual process is called).

11. Yes it decarboxylates quickly that way, converting THC-A to delta-9 THC, the latter being the psychoactive kind.

12. Go to a silk screening shop. Or somewhere where tthey may shirts.. u can buy the screen for like 20 bucks.
    Nice write up. I just did this last night.
    I pretty much run the exact same process. A mountain of kief on top of a tiny nug will have u spoon baked.

13. Would you recomend me pressing my keif and sticking it in the oven ? should i change the temps and times from your other guide? much appreciate the help :smoke:

14. If you want hashish, sure, just follow what I recommended. If I want to make a small hash block I stuff the kief into a piece of cellophane, wrap it up newspaper and some scotch tape then soak the paper bundle so it doesn't burn. Bake, then press with a rolling pin or a very heavy weight.

You can also use a press designed for it and then gently bake the resulting product.

15. Unreal nfo, .. Old School Grower .. ..

*( OSG ) .. ..

Phases it on In .. .. Size, .. .. :D .. .. :D

16. Hmmm, I have a small press, so I would press it and then put the press in the oven? And if so should I press it more after?

17. That'll work if it's a metal press.

18. #119 Budlet, May 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2011
    I have always wondered about doing something like this. I too dislike grinders. It seems to be too indiscriminate, if that makes any sense.

I had all but given up on hash in the last 20 years and it was one of, if not my favorite things to smoke. I remember hearing about kief in my youth from the elders, but it was an elusive product with how we pretty much smoked up everything in site without much care to further processing. I admit being reacquainted with it in the last few years via the kiddies and all of their specialized toking tools.

I moved my weed affiliations to that of utility use with raising kids and such. It seems I have a lot to catch up on.

Great thread.

19. Thanks.

I got to see this done large scale in Morocco. They sift it through fine muslin cloth, then pile it up into bricks which are then wrapped in wet cloth and baked at a fairly low heat while being pressed. They've been doing it that way for ages.

I'm not a huge fan of bubble hash. It is a tad more potent than sifted kief hash but it seems to lose some of the flavor that you get from good old fashioned pressed hashish.