OSG's Kief Collecting for making Hashish or Smoking

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by oldskoolgrower, Apr 16, 2009.

1. #1 oldskoolgrower, Apr 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2009
    I keep getting asked by people what method I prefer to use for collecting kief. I don't like grinders because a) I like to keep as much of the resin on the bud as possible and b) I like to feel and inspect the buds as I carefully break them up.

When I want kief I set out specifically to get it. Using frosted trim and tiny popcorn bud, I do it the way they've done it for centuries in the Middle East.

For this you'll need a silkscreen with a thread per inch count of between 100 and 130. The finer the mesh the less you'll get, but the resulting kief will be of higher quality because there will be less plant matter in it. I normally use a 120 thread per inch screen.

[​IMG]

Next you need some well dried frozen trim and/or bud. Freezing it is a very important step, as it firms up the trichomes and makes their stalks more brittle so it's easier to separate them from the other plant matter.*

[​IMG]

Take some of the frozen plant and gently crush it onto the screen over a glass container or a marble/granite surface. Alternating between shaking and tapping gently, sift it thoroughly. Don't rub it too hard against the screen if you push it around; we don't want too much green particulate plant matter getting through.

[​IMG]

Continue to do this until you work through all your trim. I'm using a small amount for demonstration purposes today, but if you have a lot it helps to keep the bulk of it in the freezer and only work with 1/4 to 1/2 ounce at a time so it doesn't all thaw.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The leftover material should be discarded. There's not much THC in it. I suppose you could make some low grade QWISO with it but frankly if you have enough trim and small bud laying around to indulge in this method you shouldn't be worrying about that. Quality over quantity.

Once we're done sifting it all the kief will be scattered about the surface we used. Use a razor blade or the edge of a credit card to scrape it all together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From this point we can just smoke it as is, cook with it, or make hashish. I didn't go on to make hash because I want this for sprinkling, but this video does a great job of showing exactly how I go about the whole process. The only thing I do different is I think 350F is way too hot; I use far gentler heat at around 220F for about 15 minutes before pressing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWfMi5nnj_k"]YouTube - How to make hash[/ame]

*One will note that freezing is not technically an 'old school' step. In ancient times they didn't have the luxury. Instead they used such huge volumes of plant that they still had acceptable yields.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. dude thanks for this!!

one more thread stickied won't kill anyone..

3. Woo, my first sticky :smoking:

4. this thread is gonna help so many blades.. i'm very excited (again lol)

5. It's my pleasure. I have pictures for my frozen qwiso crystal process, when I get around to it I'm making a thread for that as well.

6. Bomb shit my man. If i ever can i'm going to do this.
    Thanks for the write up. + rep & congrats on your 1st sticky :hello:

Are those crystals what you posted in the chat earlyer?
    The brown like rock candy? Didn't see who posted it, i was just skimming through the thread.

7. Both are the same substance processed differently. This is 'rock candy' qwiso:

[​IMG]

And this is 'Golden Goodness', the same high grade hash oil only processed into a much finer crystal more like fine brown sugar:

[​IMG]

One of my 'pet peeves' is people calling QWISO or BHO 'hash'. It's technically 'hash oil'. To me hash means hashish, the stuff you press out of kief. I'm just a grumpy old school grower though ;)

8. Here is my last little chunk from the last batch of actual hash I made. I'm gonna smoke it now :p

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. Nice man :D

Thanks for the link, i will be using it :D

10. #10 newgrowNY, Apr 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2009
    This is a great thread..... love to see your other processing techniques

Thanks OSG ...+rep to the old skool... from the newb :smoking:

11. I'm glad you like it, thanks. Hopefully people will find it helpful.

12. 80% Hashish (kief), 20% QWISO to bind and enhance it.

[​IMG]

13. yo old skool nice thread bro +rep im cutting down my plant soon, i just cut my 2 cola's down, and ive been saving the leaves for just this type of occasion but what i used to use when i got good bud is a "booksock" for text books and stretch it over a fossil watch tin. Worked good. But how should i go about freezing my cuttings?

14. Throw out the large fan leaves. I take the resin covered trimmings from when I manicure my harvest and spread them out on a cookie sheet (or sheets) to dry for a few days. When they are crispy dry I put them in a metal bowl, or you could use a bag, and freeze them overnight. You can get away with a couple of hours or so but I like to make sure they are frozen as solid as possible.

15. ok cool cool, i just need to find out where i can get a screen like yours

16. Just about any art supply store sells silkscreens. They are used to do tshirt art.

17. great thread
    + rep to OSG

edit-gotta spread some love...sorry bout that

18. So after your done wrapping it up just before you put it in the oven why are you supposed to stick it under hot water??

19. It keeps it from scorching. I use a far lower temp than that guy does too, usually between 200 and 250 F.

20. Okay cool Thankxx OSG.I been smokin goin on 4yrs now and ive been wanting to try some hashish 4a while now .So thankxx again:hello:
    I want to try it with a smaller amount of bud first just in case i mess it up.I just dont wanna see any of my bud going top waste.lol times are kinda tough rite now..
    What's the smallest amount of bud i can use for this??