Original Past's 480w LED Undercurrent DWC Kalashnikova SCROG Grow Journal

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by Original Past, Aug 21, 2011.

1. #1 Original Past, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2011
    Hi all,

This is my first grow journal. See the link in my signature for more details about the Undercurrent DWC hydro system I built for this. In my state, I can have up to 15 plants. my system is set up to hold 14 plants. (I'd rather stay a hair on the the legal side, than on the line.) 4 mothers, 6 clones, and 4 in flower. By cloning 6 at a time, I can choose the strongest 4 to place into flower. This also allows me to get my next round of clones prepared, before it's time to chop. This is my first time growing this strain, so we'll see how she does.

Genetics:
    Greenhouse Seeds Kalashnikova (AK-47 x White Widow)

Lights:
    2x 240w Blackstar LEDs (bloom type)

Nutes:
    GH FloraNova Grow/Bloom

Hydroponic System:
    DIY Undercurrent DWC

Tent:
    Secret Jardins DR90T (clone/mother chamber, and a flowering chamber)

Misc:
    6" HTG fan, and carbon filter
    Ductstat temp controlled switch (controls the fan)
    Panda Film to keep light out of the buckets
    Bluelabs Guardian PH/PPM/nute temp monitor
    Current USA water chiller
    DIY clone bubble bucket
    DIY mother nutrient feeder (I'll do a separate thread on this, soon)

I started the clones in plain tap water, (about 140 PPM, 7 PH) with a drop of Superthrive. Added a little FN Grow, once roots developed.

The clones were transplanted into half strength FN Grow (about 700 PPM), and will add FN Bloom through out the week, to 1300 PPM. Will top off with only FN Bloom for the rest of the grow, ala Lucas, and adjust PH on a daily basis.

Not much to look at, yet, but here it goes..

Day 1, Veg:

Attached Files:

2. That is a killer setup bro!, you should definitely pull some beautiful buds out of that, I am an outdoor grower my self because of the yields, but i love to see some super frosty perfect dripping indoor flowers!

3. Thanks, man. I appreciate the compliment. I'd love to grow outdoors, sometime. It just wouldn't be convenient for me. Plus the weather where I live isn't really optimal. An auto flower might work, though. Looking forward to seeing how your grow turns out.

After a couple hours, today, I bumped up PPM to about 900 using FN Bloom. In a few days, once I hit 1300, from there on out, it's gonna be straight Lucas Method.

4. Looking good man. I want to do something real similar after this harvest.

One question, on a dwc bubble bucket system how do you drain the water after it's all scroged up? I've never done hydro but it's my understanding you have to change the water every 10 days or so and when you change nutrients right? How do you do that with your ladies all tangled in a screen?

5. #5 Original Past, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2011
    Thanks, Siko! Good question, regarding drainage. It isn't really clear in the photos, but I have a ball valve on the pump feed line. The pump is plumbed with PVC unions, so I can change it out, do maintenance, etc. I also built a drain tube, with a union, so I can route the water to a drain, rather than into the controller bucket. I can take some pics, if the visual will help.

I don't change the nutes out, at all, unless there's a problem, or after the chop.

I'm using 50/50 grow/bloom nutes right now, and will only use bloom nutes for the rest of the grow. (basically the Lucas method). Because of this, I don't have to drain it, once SCROGged. I'm using the same nutes for the entire grow.

6. Note, nutes are at full strength now, 1400PPM. I expect the little clones to explode once the roots drop out of the baskets.

7. You dont think 1400 PPM is rather high? Im usually rocking 1400PPM at the most late flower.. but since these are clones it might be a strain that just sucks up nutes! I don't know.. :wave:

8. Yes, I think it's high, but Lucas says to throw em in there. At least that's how I interpret it. We shall see what happens.

9. #9 AntonROUGH, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Sounds good man, they look beautiful!

10. how much are u planning to harvest of each plant?.. and how many days b4 u start flowering? i jus orderded 10 Kalashnikova females.... cant wait till they get here

11. My plan is to veg for as long as it takes to fill my screen, this is the first time I've grown these, so I'm not too sure how long it will take for them to fill it in. My tent is a bit on the warm side during the day time, so I think my plants are a bit slower than others. For instance, it's been 10 days, and the roots just poked through the 5" netpots yesterday. Today, there are several roots popping through each pot. So I expect them to start exploding this week. I have no idea what to expect from the harvest either.. this will be my first full grow in this system. So it's an adventure!

Will you be starting a journal, too? I look forward to seeing yours, too!

12. Really liking the set up.

How do you like your DR90? Been thinking of getting one and using a couple LED's.

Also what's is that a fan or air filter in the back between the buckets?

Thanks.

13. Thanks for the compliment! I appreciate that.

I like the DR-90. Mine's the Twin model with a top veg chamber (2x3x3). It works great. I wouldn't change anything about it, actually.

On the ground, between the buckets, is an oscillating tower fan.

14. Love your setup, I run a similar recirculating hydro system and just also purchased a 240w blackstar(coming in the mail sometime this week).

15. Good stuff. Kind of liking the idea of the twin model.

In the lower chamber how tall do you think you can let the plants get safely?

Like the tower fan. Takes up little space and covers a good amount of the plants. You able to get good air movement without making the tent a wind tunnel?

Any humidity problems?

16. Thanks Bizzerk! I like the recirculating hydro, for sure. Mine moves a lot of water, but I think that having so much water helps the entire system remain stable. Let me know how you like that Blackstar. I'm thinking about ordering another one, or two for this setup. Possibly one veg version, too.

17. Hi Lost Dog,

The twin is a necessity for me, as I have mothers and clones. The top would also make a fantastic little autoflower room, too. It's pretty tall though. I'm a tall guy, and I have a hard time reaching all the way into the back of the top chamber. I have a 2'x2' 8 bulb t5 fixture in my mother tent. In hind sight, I would have chosen two 4 bulb t-5's... one at mother height, and another lower for clones/seedlings. Something to keep in mind.

The way my tent is set up, now, my plants have room to be 36" tall, before the lights hit the filter. I could easily place the filter in the middle, and a light on either side of it, and gain an extra 6-8" if I wanted. But I plan on scrogging this grow. I may do a sea of single cola Hempy buckets in there some day though.

No humidity problems whatsoever. Between my 6" fan (overkill for that section of the tent, FYI - 4" would have been fine) And that stand up fan, it works great. I get excellent circulation in there, and all the plants get nearly equal time in the breeze. I searched high and low for a tower fan that had manual controls, rather than digital/full-logic. That way the fan will turn back on in the event of a power out, or if I set it up on a timer/thermostat. If it proves to get in the way of my scrog, I can take it off the base and hang it horizontally, too. I'd have to say it's perfect for my setup. Pretty inexpensive too. Like $30. If I remove the Panda film, you'd be able to see how much floor space I don't have in there, that's why I picked a tower fan. If I were to rebuild the system, I'd put the controller bucket off to one side, and make room for my chiller inside the tent, too. But it works for now!

18. A few photos, two weeks into veg. Note that I've been trimming and manicuring these little clones, which is why they aren't as big as expected.. But a few days ago a substantial number of roots emerged from the pots. The lateral root hairs are starting to form, and they're just beginning to take off. Again, they're a little slow, because my temps are a bit warm. But I'm in no hurry.

Attached Files:

19. I need to get some CFLs, or some other type of light, just to add for taking photos with. I love how my plants grow under LED, but the photos just don't do them justice.

20. Thanks for the info.

Do you run your fan 24/7?

How are you getting air into the tent?

Do you have a fan or intake on the top chamber?