Organicly frustrated

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Stewart169, Dec 29, 2016.

1. #1 Stewart169, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    This is my third grow in organic soil. I have had issues on my last grow that included probably light burn and too much Protekt. Not knocking a product but my use most likely. I take the blame for screwing it up.

I corrected the light issue by raising it up so there is probably 36" now and the PAR meter shows Im in a good zone.

This grow of WW from Greenhouse Seeds has gone well in soil that I sent for lab testing.
    Since starting I have added only some Worm Power and mulch TD and one of the plants got low doses of Natures Source plant food. The smaller of the two which isn't the case now. It responded well and caught up to big sis.

After almost 8 weeks I flipped and now am just over the second week of flower. First day of flower I added some low strength Dr.Earth Flower Girl for both .Very low. Nothing for a week. Up to today they seemed to be doing well. Opened up tent today and the plant that was the early bloomer and stronger had leaf issues. In the last week the smaller one has caught up to the bigger one but the original one has much denser bud sites.

Im not going to spam with a bunch of pics other than one of both and one of the leaves that look odd as of today. They had the small yellow single end tip has been present but the rest of the leaf showing yellowing down the side that is what I am not sure about. Plus the edges are turned up as it is easy to see.

One thing I have to add or ask is organic growing seems to be more oriented for those who have room for bigger pots that hold more soil. As much as I am in love with the idea of total organic growing Im wondering if its really viable for those of us that cant use at least 7-10 gallon pots and up? These claim to be 4.5 gallons and I do have some square pots on the way that specify they hold almost .7 CF which is actually more than typical 5 gallon paint buckets I think.

One on the right is the originally bigger and has denser buds but has the leaf issue.
    [​IMG]
    The yellow on the very end of the tip isn't what is new. Its the yellow on the side tips that just came up in 12 hours. A couple other leaves have it a little more pronounced. This was just the one pic I uploaded and used. Plus the edges upturned slightly.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Frustrating. The Cree COB light is on in these pics. They are a tad greener.

2. whats in your soil, please be as specific as you can. also it could help if you post the lab results of your soil.

as for pot size, its true that bigger in this case is better. but its really more important if you are growing no-till style. if you are re-amending your soil between runs you should be ok with 5-7g pots IMHO.

3. This is the results of the soil sample I sent to A&L labs in mid September. This has been mixed for a while and has not been used yet. I added some more compost, EWC, Black Owl, and Pearlite about a month before because I thought I over amended it when I mixed it originally last March. I followed the easy organic soil mix pretty closely. I had about 20-25 gallons total.
    I even added worms over the summer. When I started this grow I had some live worms in these pots and have found a few small dead ones in the saucers under them as the grow has progressed. I have not seen any last few weeks but I have not gone looking for them.

I mixed it up originally last March and used some for my previous grow but didn't reuse any of that.

pH 7.1 S.U. Very High NCR-13 No. 221, 1998
    Conductivity (EC) 2.06 mmho/cm Optimum NCR-13 No. 221, 1998
    Nitrate (NO3-N) 141 ppm Optimum NCR-13 No. 221, 1998
    Phosphorus (P) 16.0 ppm High NCR-13 No. 221, 1998
    Potassium (K) 243 ppm Optimum NCR-13 No. 221, 1998
    Calcium (Ca) 351 ppm Optimum NCR-13 No. 221, 1998
    Magnesium (Mg) 91 ppm Optimum NCR-13 No. 221, 1998
    Sodium (Na) 136 ppm High NCR-13 No. 221, 1998
    Sulfur (S) 142 ppm High NCR-13 No. 221, 1998
    Boron (B) 0.6 ppm Acceptable NCR-13 No. 221, 1998
    Iron (Fe) 25.2 ppm Acceptable NCR-13 No. 221, 1998
    Manganese (Mn) 1.4 ppm Low NCR-13 No. 221, 1998
    Zinc (Zn) 4.6 ppm Low NCR-13 No. 221, 1998
    Copper (Cu) 0.5 ppm Low NCR-13 No. 221, 1998

• Like Like x 1
  4. Just from the little I can see, it doesn't seem like there is all that much perlite in the mix. Good aeration is essential! *I* run a good 40% of perlite alone and with other forms of aeration (pine bark fines, biochar, and the like), it easily comes out to 50% aeration.

The biggest thing I've discovered with organics vs using the same basic mix for years with Peters (Jack's Classic), is how dense it gets as 'stuff' breaks down. Especially seed meals, VC and OM in general as it decomposes/gets broken down. It was like, the better the mix got from use/age/reamends, the more aeration was needed.

Just a thought.

Wet

• Like Like x 2
  5. I used what I thought was plenty of perlite. Probably not 40% but more like 30% and I also used 5% plus of Biochar. I think tonight when I get home I'm going flush 2-3 gallons of distilled water.
    Anyone have a thought on if it matters when flushing to do it at lights on or before lights out?

6. I started in 7 gal with a SCROG..I didn't TD btw veg and flower. With the increased veg time it seemed like they ran outta steam early. Early yellowing in flower etc. I switched to 15gal on SIP's and things greatly improved. Your plants don't look bad...I always seem to have 1 plant with a weird anomaly each run. Tips look like nute burn, possibly from the ferts you added?? Why cant you run bigger pots? They make square/rectangular smarties...you could fill ur space with 1 bed and grow a couple in it. Just a thought.

7. Idk if flushing does anything in soil but wash your money down the drain. I don't think they look bad, just a lil nute burn. JMO though.

Sent from my SM-T567V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. I wish I had a little larger tent but that is as big as I can go. I said I have square pots that supposedly hold one cubic foot with a 12X12 footprint.

9. @Stewart169 you're there so you are the best judge but it looks like your plants are pretty healthy. If you're really, really, concerned maybe take a look at your soil test. If you decide, for whatever reason, to try and adjust your soil pH by modifying the water ph citric acid would be a good option to consider as it will keeps things in the - 'organic only' puzzle.

Personally I'd LITFA. How much longer until you anticipate harvest?

10. That's nutrient burn for sure... You can look up the marijuana sick plant chart and compare leaf pictures.... Don't know if you over fed or just put to much nutes in your soil when reamending....

Btw I reamend my soil too... Got great recipe.... Good luck BUDdy

11. I flushed each with a couple gallons of water. Looking OK. Going to leave it alone and see what happens.

12. Are those in terracotta pots? I think it's your watering routine in general. I've grown in nothing but 4-5gal containers with and without amending between runs. Others (Gmans trees!) have grown very large plants in just 5gals.

Only time I run into issues is when I screw up my watering. Either too much or too little, SIPS and swicks help but still happens.

Just looks like your soil needs some time to stabilize it's pH. Did you give it anytime to cycle before planting in?

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. #14 Stewart169, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    It has been sitting out back in large Rubbermaid can for quite a while. Im going to get a couple of 8 gallon square pots for next run. They should fit my space.
    It gets even better. This morning the one in question may be starting to hermi OR some calyx's are popping up. Didn't feel seeds in the ones I pulled off and a couple of them seem to have the two hairs. Will check in when lights come back on and if its hermi that one will go to heaven.

Today is the start of week 3 of flower and the one on the right was showing preflowers in week 6 of veg but I held off almost two weeks so the other one could catch up and little. When that one really started to show some preflowers I flipped. The one on the right has some really nice dense buds filling out up and down the length of the colas. Im hoping its not hermd. The other one is also filling out bud sites really nice this grow.
    Looked at a lot of pics online everywhere and its too soon to be sure. No nanners in buds.

Doing the mainline seems pretty nice and not that hard.

14. #15 Stewart169, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    Update and then I wont keep this thread going. The bitches look good today and the growth suspected turned out to be fat growing calyx not hermies. Tonight when they woke up both looked better and the one on the right I was worried about is fat and happy. The colas are filling in top to bottom better on her and the other one is filling in but growing taller.

I don't have pics at the moment but will get some in a few days to update my journal for this one. Hand on the bible I have some cola shots of this one at this stage that would make you proud. I had to put on nitrile gloves to do some trimming. Just some of the inner stuff blocking bud sites.

Just looking at them for health there is so much frosting on bud leaves that my hands feel like I have been eating pancakes with syrup with my fingers. I didn't do much trimming on purpose once I did the original clean up as recommended from the mainline tutorials by nugbuckets and grow weed easy. I am now in the camp that you can trim it but you cant put it back on. The mainlining method seems easy and low maintenance compared to a scrog.

One of them is already light in the pot and wants some water which I will do tomorrow. Just RO water. And that's ALL till I see some clear indications of need. And I picked up some Jamaican bat guano 0-10-0 for back up. Not going to even open it up as long as the bitches look. good.

And I have Gro Pro 8 gallon square pots for next grow to give me some extra soil for roots.

I wish I could use pots twice that size but and if I get a couple of more good grows where I have plenty of product in jars I may try a single pot of about that size to see what happens.