Organic Soil Mix

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Euphoric Toker, Feb 19, 2011.

1. I want to make an organic soil mix, because it will help out my budget rather than buying pre mixed soil. Heres the resource I have available at local stores.

-Sphagnum Peat Moss
    -Pulverized Garden Lime(not sure if this is same as Dolomite?)
    -Bovung Dehydrated Manure(Organic Humus)
    -Perlite(Medium Water Repellent Granulate/Medium Water Absorbent Granulate)
    -Bat Guano(They have Jam,Mex,Peru,Indo not sure which is better?)
    -Hygrozyme(Is this added to soil or as a nutrient?)
    -Earthworm Castings

Can I make a good soil recipe with these ingredients and some other things that can be found at a general store? Can you post the measurements of each ingredient needed for the soil recipe?

Thanks for the help!:D

2. Anyone want to BUMP?

3. I read about the different types of guano.
    Jamaican bat guano(1-10-0)
    Mexican bat guano(10-2-0)
    Indonesian bat guano(0-13-0)

I was thinking a mix of the Mexican and Indonesian so i have lots of Nitrogen and Phosphorus.

Still not sure about the measurements of each. I need 90 gallons of mixed soil in all (10 gallon per plant)

Any advice and personal soil mixes are greatly appreciated.

4. #4 TexRx, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2011
    How about this mix:

peat-50%
    perlite-25%
    manure-10%
    wormcastings-10%
    High nitrogen bat guano 5%
    1 cup dolomite lime per 2 cubic ft. of soil mix

Also, I would put high nitrogen bat guano in the soil mix and top-dress later with high phosphorous bat guano

And, Hygrozyme is used more in hydroponics - just skip that for now

:)

5. Wow thats great. Didn't even think of top dressing. Like a salad, that grows my salad:smoke:
    Thank You
    by % you mean out of the total amount of soil I want correct?

6. #6 TexRx, Feb 20, 2011

Yes, there's a simple way to mix the soil right ...
    Use a container like a 1 gal drink pitcher or 2 gal bucket and break the soil mix into parts
    5 containers of peat
    2.5 containers perlite
    1 container manure
    1 container wormcastings
    1/2 container high N bat guano
    and once you get enough to fill a small wheelbarrow or about 50 lbs, add 1 cup of lime

Then repeat to make more soil mix
    Add just use a larger container if you're making a large quantity of soil-mix

7. Thank you that makes it a lot simpler to measure. One more question though my home depot has Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss and Peat Moss which one should I get?

8. I'd go with the canadian sphagnum peat moss

9. Should I fill and let the soil drain because of the garden lime?

10. #10 TexRx, Feb 20, 2011
    If only a cup of lime per 50 lbs soil mix is used and mixed in completely, you can treat the soil normally

But, It's a good idea to let the soil become fairly dry between waterings.....

11. Is super coarse perlite okay?

12. #12 TexRx, Feb 20, 2011
    Yes...coarse perlite is fine. You should have no problem using it. It's just a personal preference.
    Some growers like it powdery some like it coarse

13. You could also hit up a Starbucks in the evenning and get their bag of used coffee grounds and mix that in. Its a good N source and it attracks worms.

Try CL for free manure. I was able to find cow, horse, llama, goat and rabbit. If you are grow organic today is your day to start your soil for the next year. :)

14. I pick up at least 50 pounds of used coffee grounds every month from my local Starbucks
    And I never buy any coffee, either!
    I put it in my compost - a good source of nitrogen

CL does have free manure available. There's also compost and wormcastings. Some people charge a small amount - be sure you talk to the person on the phone first and don't go if somethng seems sketchy

15. Can I use bone and/or blood meal for any added benefit?

16. #16 TexRx, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2011

You could add some bone and/or blood meal - in small amounts... like 2% of the mix

17. Blood, bone, alfalfa, fish, kelp, feather...etc meals can all be added.

*** DO NOT USE COTTONSEED MEAL ****

18. Wanting some feedback on my mix.

MG Canadian Sphagnum Peat
    MG Organic Choice Garden Soil
    MG Perlite
    Earthworm Castings
    Magnesium Sulfate
    Hydrated Lime(Dolomite)
    MG Organic Choice Blood Meal
    MG Organic Choice Bone Meal

I plan on feeding a simple tea sold at my grow shop. I'm not too keen on using cow manure inside and hopefully I wont need it for this mix. In the past all my mixes seemed to compact easily at the end of a run or in my mother pots. That was probably due to the fact that I used just a cheap garden soil from a farm supply store. I like the 50% peat and 25% Perlite but what about the rest of my ingredients? My measurements are all done with the large size coffee containers. So for instance. 2 scoops of Peat to 1 scoop of Perlite and so on. With this maybe 1/2 scoop castings and 1/2 scoop garden soil ?

Thanks for letting me post in your thread :smoke:

19. #19 TexRx, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2011
    ^^^ I would leave out the garden soil and go with

5 scoops peat
    2.5 scoops perlite
    1.5 scoops wormcastings
    .5 scoops blood meal
    .5 scoops bone meal

then add
    1 cup lime per 50 lbs
    1 cup mag sulfate per 50 lbs

20. Thanks, great looking mix. I took a closer look at the MG garden soil and it does contain a slow release fertilizer. Good looking stuff but they don't really state what the actual fert is. Going in the tomato boxes. :smoking: