Organic mix (will it work?)

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by bonghit therapy, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Hello:wave: new to organics here and am getting ready to start a new grow. I have next to nothing for a selection on soils in my local area. Here's what I have access to:

Miracle Grow Organic Choice
    Coco coir
    Earth worm castings
    blood meal
    bone meal
    perlite
    powdered lime
    peat moss

Will any combo of these get me through ok, and if so what mixing ratio if I am growing in a 5 gallon bucket? Thanks

2. Hey BHT, why the MG organic choice? Here's just a humble idea based on what you have- if you have the right volume of each product.

Mix equal parts peat,perlite,and coir. Then mix around 25% of that volume with your earthworm castings. Then take your lime(dolomite only) and mix 1/2 to 1 cup per cu. ft. of material. Add enough bone and blood meal so that the total of both will equal no more than 2 to 5% of the total volume of your mix. The only thing you'l be lacking is a good potassium source. You can take the MG back and put that money towards something else.

3. yeah toss the mg dude

4. Look at the label closely and see if it's their Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix .1 - .05 -. 05 or their Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix .10 - .05 - .10 or their Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix .10 - .05 - .05

The differences mean something. Post that information and someone can go from there.

HTH

LD

5. There is also a miracle-gro organic choice garden soil that is .10-.05-.10 it also specifically says on the bag that it is not a potting soil but to be mixed in with native soil in your veggie garden outside. What's your two cents on the difference?

6. The Washington State Department of Agriculture provides an information database on all products registered for sale in that state and its available to the public. Other states have this as well but this one is easier to navigate than others like Oregon's.

This database is not a result of testing but rather the information provided by the manufacturer. Here's the complete list of Miracle Grow products which includes their potting soil mixes.

Under each product listing are the levels of heavy metals, whether bio-solids were used, etc.

LD

7. cool thanks, I decided against the MG. Going with a coco mix now. :wave:

8. You are lacking kelp meal and that's a *must have*.

Other than that, looking good.

Wet

9. I would toss out the blood and bone meals, and get crab meal and neem meal (sometimes called neem cake). If you want to go crazy you can also try fish bone meal.