Organic home growing in your garden

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Madonnano2, Aug 15, 2018.

1. So i live in the great state of OR and its cool that we can grow outside with no penalty, a lil unfair, but i want to share my experience with living soil and organic homegrown.

This just my fourth year. Ive had a garden for 7-8 years. If you have existing growing soil for potted plants, or along hedges or whatever you can take the old used up stuff and then add it to 1:average organic soil amender (degrading wood chips) and 2: (denser) organic vegetable soil. This should be 1/4 to 3/4 and then you can also mix in some old potting soil. I add new soil every year to my garden. Not a ton but to keep the nutes up. Pots are a lil harder to do so i’m gonna keep this to a planter box situation or in the ground because thats how living soil works. Turn your soil after every couple years and rotate it with other plants if you can. Like tomatoes, squash, beans, or whatever else. Good, rotated organic soil can grow anything. Herb grows better around other plants, i am convinced, even other weeds! A full, healthy garden usually has a healthy ecosystem. Earthworms (which you can buy and add) spiders, parasitic flies, yellow jackets, can kill pests you might have. If you get caterpillars kill them with a base of chrysanthemum poison and water, you can buy it cheap. It degrades quick and safe, comes pre-mixed and can be used on flower. As long as you got a wek or two before cropping. And keep watch for mites. If the garden is well circulated it’ll help a lot but mites take special care to defeat and i’ll leave that to another post. If you notice sugar ants or small spiders on your plants leave them they often kill mites and aphids.
    upload_2018-8-14_23-39-38.jpeg
    If you have solid soil that you add to every year and you rotate garden crops, your weed will grow into healthy, powerful plants and if you keep a close eye on pests they will thrive. I think where new growers like me make mistakes a lot of time, is the watering routine and nutes. Weed comes from a fckn hot part of the world and does not need a ton of water unless its like 92 degrees+ Just figure water every three days unless its hot.
    upload_2018-8-14_23-40-12.jpeg X
    Then buy yourself a big ass bag of organic vegetable fertilizer and toss some (not very much) in a 5 gallon bucket like fill up 1/8 of the bucket and then put the fertilizer in an old pillow case, tie it off and put the plow case with fertilizer in it into the bucket and then fill it up with water.
    upload_2018-8-14_23-41-10.jpeg
    It smells terrible but then give this “tea” along with regular water to your plants once or twice a week. I do no tea until i can tell that my plant is established well and growing. I would never give nutes until they are about 2 feet tall or bigger. If your soil is good and you give regular organic veg fertilizer there’s no need to mess with em, just check for pests and dont kill predators like spiders. Then in October, when they come ripe and ready, have a couple easy-ups ready for hard sustained rain. A lil is fine but too much is bud rot. By October it’s more important to keep the hard rain off than to let the plants have their cloudy sunlight.
    upload_2018-8-14_23-41-49.jpeg
    In conclusion, theres no trick to it. Healthy soil and watching for pests will keep your plants good. Dont add weird nutes like miracle grow or other weed-specific super-gro products. Its not worth it. My weed has been smooth as a babys bottom and good enough to not have to go buy other stuff from the store. Good luck! Love you guys!
    Ps i delete my pics every year so these are just from this year.
    upload_2018-8-14_23-43-13.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2