Organic growing

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by EvansInUk, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Hey guys,

Does Azomite or Kelp meal contain; all of these, if not, how can I add what's missing.

I plan on using a soil enhancer as my base soil which contains a mix of humic acid and biochar, with added worm castings as my top dresser for nitrogen, bone meal for phosphorus, kelp for potassium and perlite for aeration. But im concerned about micronutrients?

Do I need to add calcium, magnesium, sulphur, manganese, copper, iron and molybdenum too?

I plan on using 2x 2.6 gallons or 11/12l pots I'm not sure which one it is now lol but I'm from UK. Its 2.6 gallons what ever happens.

In a L2.6 x W2.6 x H5.4 foot tent. Under a HLG 260w QB v2 led light. I dont really want to use liquid ferts as my plants will hopefully only be around 2-3 feet tall when finishing flowering and I want to do it organically and using Mycorrihizae inoculants too. Any help with micronutrients would be awesome. Thank you and peace.

2. I'd recommend checking out the No-Till Gardening: Revisited thread for a solid soil recipe that has everything you'd need! The thread is crazy long, but the soil recipe is at the beginning and searching within the thread returns great comments. There are soil recipes, tea recipes, topdressing advice, IPM advice, as well as a whole helluva lot of other things in that thread. Cool people chatting at the recent pages too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  3. #5 EvansInUk, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Recommend adding the rest or what the 2 previous guys have mentioned?

Also thank you for the links above guys. Ill read them later on my work breaks. I have synthetics at the moment but i would prefer if i could get away from feeding at all and have everything I need in my soil.

Ok here is the mix

Gasholes economical living soil base mix:

1/3 sphagnum peat mos,preferably the Alaskan brand..yeah yeah we know,higher microbial and fungal activity.

1/3 medium sized pumice or scoria,of which we will incorporate our bio-char as a portion of that aeration amendment since it will act more like an aggregate in the soil. NO NEED to charge char. Shoot for the ideal 10% of char ratio in overall soil volume via the aeration portion of base mix. Do you buy char separate?

1/3 HIGH quality 50/50 blend of EWC and HIGH quality compost of HIGH humic value. Cheap humic sources are like Russian cars. Whats EWC and also does anyone know of any brands of soil with high humic value? Im afraid if i google it, the results may be many, bot quality results.

Food and minerals per cubic foot of soil volume.

1 cup untreated fish meal
    1 cup acadian kelp meal
    1 cup basalt rock dust
    1 cup pacific pearl oyster shell powder
    So 3 bases make up a whole one, and the last few are the micro nutrient supplies.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Good choice, I use that mix, and I also add fish bone meal, crab shell meal, gypsum and malted barley powder.
    I also add a handful of red wigglers to each pot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. #7 EvansInUk, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    And here is the other mix; note for myself right now lol!

1:1:1: CSPM (Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss) : Pumice/Lava rock : Compost - Malibus B/U is an excellent choice if it is available in your area. Amended per cuF with: 1/2 - 1 cup Neem or Karanja 1/2 - 1 cup Kelp 1/2 - 1 cup Crab/Crustacean meal 1 cup MBP (Malted Barley Powder) 1/2 cup Gypsum (nice sulphur source) 4-6 cups Basalt 6-8 cups Biochar

I want to use coco and a soil enhancer which has the micro-nutrients in it, but i want fungi to the mix too, so what is the best "or chelated" versions of the micro nutrients? I wont be using normal soil so would like to add cups of stuff as a back up.

Soft rock phosphate is my phosphorus
    Bacteria will be nitrogen source once established
    Kelp is my potassium source
    Gypsum as ive just learned is my source for sulphur
    Perlite aeration
    Azomite for other trace minerals

What about calcium , magnesium? Whats best source of magnesium and calcium? Quality wise for the plants.

6. I'm just tinkering with biobizz organic soil ATM and I was told by a ancient grower cal/mag after around 3 weeks was beneficial but I can't 100% be sure as I have added it but I'm only growing 1 plant in soil other 2 are coco and 4 in a water farm.good luck bud grow happy :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tinkering? In what ways, you have obviously added some compounds, would you mind sharing? It's just to ascertain my interest lol.

8. Haha well egg shells have been making a difference and epsom salts so it doesn't mess with my ph but its already got a liming agent in the soil.

9. +1 for the no-till recipe. Its what many of us here on the organic forums use with great success.
    I definitely wouldn't try and make up my own mix going into organics for the first time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. #12 Taoist Farmer, Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    EWC= earthworm castings, compost with a high humic value, it depends where you live, homemade can be the best if you have room, Bio char I used cowboy natural lump charcoal you just gotta bust it up into small pieces or buy some bio char, or you can make it yourself.
    Calcium=oyster shell flour and gypsum has some too.

• Like Like x 1
  11. that mix has everything you need.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. THAT ^^ and to answer your first question, Azomite and kelp meal will provide ALL your mineral needs. A liming agent is something separate from minerals (even though it is a mineral).

Wet

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ^^I would pass on the coco. There are plenty of reasons why, too many too list. You might notice all the good recipes use peat or leaf mold.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1