Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Oregon MMJ and depression

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by amnesiac503, Jun 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #1 amnesiac503, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2011
    Hey guys, new to the site and it really is amazing the amount of information that is compiled here so thanks for that. My question is can you get your OMMP card after being diagnosed with depression? I have seen on many sites that it is a listed condition that can be treated by MMJ, but on the Oregon list here on this site it is not listed. Has anyone been able to receive a prescription in Oregon for depression? I would like to get my card and this would be the most documented thing in my medical history that could get me a recommendation.

Recently I have also developed a strong pain in my right shoulder blade area accompanied by muscle spasms from time to time. I have an appointment with my primary care physician (he's with providence so I would never ask him for a mmj recommendation) to have it looked at, however I do not like taking pharmaceuticals and would probably deny a prescription for any sort of pain medication.

I just want to make sure that I have all my ducks in a row before I go and try to get my recommendation. Some of the Oregon clinic's sites say that you need to bring in a chart from a couple different doctors while others don't, and I haven't seen anything about how many times you need to see a doctor about a specific problem. Do you need to show that you have had the same condition for a period of 6+ months before you can even think about trying to get a prescription, or what exactly is the time frame that needs to be proven? If anyone has any good advice on where to go, or if my conditions can actually get me my card that would be fantastic. Thanks in advance!

2. I'm not a medical patient as my state does not have it. However, I've been diagnosed with depression by about four different doctors, been put on a ton of shitty medications, and I can tell you that MJ is the only thing that's ever actually made it better.

Anyways, to what you were asking. I've heard that you need an existing medical condition and proof of it to get a recommendation. Going in about your shoulder that just started acting up with no medical record of it will probably not work. Unless there is actual damage that they can see or something. The depression, if you have been diagnosed with it in a period of time which makes it seem that you're not just trying to 'smoke weed legally' it should be fairly easy to get. Like, if you were diagnosed two years ago, have seen different doctors, been put on different medications, etc. You are likely to get it. If it was like three-six months ago you may have trouble though. I hear depression is one of the most difficult things to get a card for because it's so easy to fake, and doctors know that. Just try to present your case as legitimately as possible, don't go in like with a Bob Marley shirt and say, "I'm sad man, my arm hurts, prescription meds are a corporate scam but I heard weed is good for it."

3. I have been diagnosed with depression for 6 months or so and the use of marijuana definitely has helped me, especially when it comes to anxiety and stress. That is good advice thank you, luckily I don't own any Bob Marley shirts =D I am not going to see the doctor about my shoulder just so I can try to get get mmj, I am just hoping they can tell me what's wrong. If it is just a huge knot or something then sweet, I can get rid of the pain in easier ways. I was just curious if depression is something that Oregon considers treatable by mmj. And also, I would love to hear from someone that has gone to a clinic for a recommendation and what the whole process is like.

4. Please review the "DoYou Qualify" sticky thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.