Ordering Lights, HPS or MH? 400w help

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by RongBip, May 23, 2011.

1. Hey, has anyone ordered lights from Greners before? I still need to get everything as I have purchased nothing yet. But, I am getting my tent there and I have seen some of their 400W light kits, and different bulbs and ballasts. I really dont know what light would be best to get. I want to get both bulbs that I will need for veg and flowering, but if there are ones that can do both, that is even better, but I dont want to sacrifice much bud quality if at all possible.

I will be running a cool tube as well, and I have seen ebay ones for $60, vs $100 on the ones at Greners, not sure which would work better. I know that some of the cheaper ones cant fit 400W bulbs.

And as far as ballasts go, I have no idea, I guess it depends on the bulbs I get. They do have Xtrasun and Harvest Pro ballasts which seem to be cheapest, but otherwise I dont know which type would be best, they seems to range from $125-155 or so.

Heres the cool tube - COOL TUBE REFLECTOR HOOD 6" AIR COOLED GROW | eBay

Or if you think I should order from an entirely different store let me know.

2. #2 RongBip, May 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2011
  3. Everything that I have read suggests that MH is ideal for vegging stage and HPS is ideal for flowering.

As for which setup you should get, it depends on what you are going for and your budget.

I think there are some hoods that have more reflection than the cool tube....but I don't have a HID yet so I can't speak from experience.

Good luck with it though.
    Spydaman

4. Ok cool thanks. That kit only comes with an HPS, so I will get an extra 400W MH for veg, and use the hps for flowering. TBH, the only way I feel safe running a hps/mh as of now is with a cool tube, so I dont mind taking the hit in it's reflectivity.

Thanks for your help:smoke: