Oral surgery

Discussion in 'General' started by Hydrosiss, Dec 6, 2005.

1. well, on the 20th of december i will be getting oral surgery...8 teeth removed from gum...

had a couple questions

1) would it be a bad idea to smoke afterwards cause i'd have somewhat of an open wound in my mouth so would it be bad if the smoke made contact?

2) what kind of pain killers would they perscribe?

2. I am pretty sure you can get dry sockets... dont do it for about 3 days, then after that just be careful.

Vicodins normally...good stuff...

3. yeah i heard dry sockets are horrible.

4. whats dry sockets?

oh and if anyones had this done, is it very painful?

5. im supossed to get my wisdom teeth removed soon, they said they would perscribe me some vicodin, which i would just sell anyway. im not into painkillers and opiates, i like the good herb and natural stuff. :)

6. dry socket is essential sucking the blood clot out of the hole where your tooth was, not fun. Be very careful when smoking or sucking on anything. He He lay off the gay jokes too. ROFL

7. oh no! he will have to give up his day job! lmao,8===>:eek: . sorry i couldn't resist...tehe.

8. Just gonna have to find another way to strip that chrome off that hitch right?

:)

9. not sure exactly what dry sockets are but i had some oral surgery done a couple years ago and i smoked that night, and a few times a day after that. soo idk how common dry sockets are but i guess they're not inevitable. i've seen a few of these threads so i just thought i'd share that you can smoke after and not get dry sockets i think cigs would be worse anyways.

10. best bake some brownies or train ur dog to give u shotguns (up ur nose)

11. We do oral surgery at my office about everyday. When you smoke after having teeth pulled or cut out the sucking action on the ciggy will pull the blood clot out of the socket,exposing the bone to air. That's a dry socket. It can also get infected from smokeing because of the smoke itself. Sucking on a straw and spitting will do the same thing.
    So anyway everyone here is gonna tell ya,"oh hell ya smoke all ya want" but I'm telling you as someone who works in the feild,don't do it.
    As far as pain meds since you are having 8 teeth pulled,you will probably get some vicodin and maybe even an antibiotic(depending on the situation).
    So here is what I highly recommend,
    1. Use the gauze the dentist gives you according to his directions. It will make the bleeding stop faster.
    2. Get your scripts filled,go home ,put an ice bag on your face and take your pain meds according to directions. Get them in your system BEFORE novacain wears off.Leave the ice bag on ten minutes on ,ten minutes off,ect.
    3.Prop up on pillows or hang in a recliner. This helps drain all the excess fluids like the novacain,blood and any infection from your face. You'll notice the swelling will go down faster too.
    You might be sore for a few days but then you should just feel a little tenderness around the sockets. Make sure you are rinsing with one teaspoon of salt disolved in warm water every 3-4 hours to clean the sockets and keep them moist.

And if you do smoke and you end up with dry socket,don't come cryin to me cause you will get no sympathy.

12. i wouldnt smoke even if there was a 1% chance of dry sockets occuring...im no fiend

13. bone exposed to air... I guess that hurts?

something like an exposed nerve ending?

14. I had all four of my wisodom teeth taken out. I got sick off the meds, so I just used childrens motrin, and I was alright.. it does hurt if you don't use the pills, but it's not that bad... I've had worse...You'll be alright.. but DON'T SMOKE for at least 3 or 4 days.. if you wanna get messed up premake some stuff you can eat or drink that will do it for you... can you make a soup with bud in it? I don't really know much about cooking with weed, but I'd say do some experimenting...here's your chance...

~Terpsichore

15. just make some budder, and add it to whatever. ive even heard of some wierd people eating the butter straight

16. It's like the worst kind of tooth ache type pain you can possibly imagine.
    It is very much like an exposed nerve.

17. goddamn, just readin your posts makes me remember having my wisdom teeth out, very shitty time especially since bottom 2 got infected. DO NOT SMOKE, not worth it at all just do what Yurburdcansing said. make sure you take those vicoden, you will most likely need em

18. i got two teeth pulled and it bleed for like 3 hours straight it sucked! :(

19. [​IMG]

Just kidding.

20. Why? It works.