Opinions on Grow Box Design

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by dartanianlives, Mar 29, 2006.

1. So I am going to keep it simple for my first round. I figure that I will frame out a perfect cube, 6.5' x 6.5'. Basically 2x4's with plywood paneling on the inside (completely covered with mylar sheeting). On one side I'll obviously frame out a small door so I can get access inside, and on that same side at the bottom right or left I will put the INFLOW fan (or should it be in a different place?). On the top I will have a climbers rig to hold two chains going to the middle into two holes to hold the HPS inside, and so it is adjustable. Also on the roof I was going to put the OUTFLOW fan with some form of odor reducer (don't know yet ... don't understand all the filter nonsense and ozone stuff yet). The only real issue I have is whether I should frame out a floor or let it rest on the cement flooring already there. I am tempted to even go the extra mile and frame out a floor and possibly seal up any joints as to decrease access from the outside environment except for the fans and my entry way.

Anyone have an opinion on this? Is 6.5' x 6.5' too big / too small? I was looking to hold 9 plants (indica/sativa hybrids). Lookin' for advice because I definitely am not the best carpenter, but I have all of the supplies at my disposale for essentially free. Suggestions welcome!

2. I don't think it matters much if you frame out a floor or not. A few things to keep in mind:

- Cement floors usually are against the ground so they will stay cool. That can be a good thing if heat is a problem but it also means it could chill your pots a little too much in colder months, so you may want to put your pots on some kind of stands (you could build them out of end pieces of your 2x4s).

- Your security won't be as good without a sealed up floor, someone could just lift the box up and peek under. Only you can determine if that is a real issue in your particular space/situation. As a solution you could affix your box from the inside to a wall of the space it is in, therefore no one could lift it up.

- You have the potential for light leaks under the walls, so run some weatherstripping at the bottom of the walls or some other method to block light. By the same token the box is less likely to be airtight, which for airflow may not be an issue if you are drawing intake from the immediate surroundings anyway but could be an issue for odor control. Again, weatherstripping.

- Some advantages to no floor are that it is less to build, it will support your weight to be in there, and if you have any spills on a cement floor no big deal.

BTW, you got it right with inflow down low and exhaust up high. Intake doesn't have to be near the door if that is what you are asking.

Let us know what you decide.

3. Thanks for the response Toasty. I didn't even think about potential light leaks. I suppose I'll just have to build it then find where all the leaks are and seal it up pretty well. Security really isn't an issue because the "grow room / box" will be inside of a room that is basically inside of a room (haha, sounds strange, but it's true). I did fail to mention that the floor and sealent measures were also for possible pest control measures because cement floors mean underground, which also means closer to the source of those little buggers.

Any suggestions on the size? Is 6.5' x 6.5' large enough for 9 plants of indica/sativa mix? I am having issues visualizing the end result. I just don't want to find a fat bud stuck in my reflector burnt to a crisp because I was too naive about the operation.

(On a side note: I have read the Cannabis Grow Bible - Green, is it worth checkin' out any other particular books, maybe Indoor Horticulture?)