OOPSIE Missouri State Rep. Jeremy LaFaver Busted For Pot

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Storm Crow, Aug 27, 2013.

1. \tMissouri State Rep. Jeremy LaFaver Arrested For Possession Of Marijuana 
    By Jonathan Wolfe, Mon, August 26, 2013

Missouri State Representative Jeremy LaFaver (D) was arrested for possession of marijuana yesterday.

LaFaver, 33, was arrested at 3 p.m. yesterday evening in Boone County, Missouri. Police officers found a small amount of marijuana and a marijuana pipe in his car. He was initially stopped for failing to respond to a previous charge of driving on an expired driver's license with expired license plates.
    LaFaver was taken into custody and released after posting a $125 bail.

He has resigned from his position as chairman of the 2014 Missouri Democratic Party campaign. LaFaver says he has no plans to resign from his seat in the Missouri House of Representatives, however. LaFaver shot down that idea after the Missouri Republican Party called for him to “take genuine responsibility by resigning from the Missouri House of Representatives.”
    LaFaver released a brief statement on his arrest today.

“I made a serious mistake, I apologize for it, and I am prepared to face the consequences of my behavior. I want to stress that I was not operating under the influence,” he wrote. “I deeply regret the embarrassment I have caused my family and the people of the 25th District by this incident. I want to assure my constituents that I have received no special considerations, nor do I expect to be treated any differently than any other citizen in my situation.”

Since his charge is for the possession of less than 35 grams of marijuana, Lafaver's charge is only a misdemeanor.

Last year, LaFaver co-sponsored legislation that would have lightened penalties for misdemeanor marijuana offenders. The failed bill would have enacted a $250 fine for the possession of less than 35 grams of marijuana. Currently, offenders with this amount of marijuana can be punished with a $1,000 fine and sentenced to jail time.

Blades, he's going to get a lot of "flack" from the conservatives, so let's give him the support he deserves! :gc_rocks:

His bill failed, but he tried to make things better for the average Missouri toker! :smoke:  You might even get a few friends to email him, too!  And nothing makes a politician feel better than you saying you will vote for his re-election! :yay:

Here's a link to his email and snail mail addresses (do both, and you'll get counted twice!)-  

http://house.mo.gov/member.aspx?year=2013&district=025

Granny

2. I agree, this is a guy who at the very least attempted to lessen penalties. Fighting a conservative majority on an issue they are passionate about maintaining the status quo on is notable. I hope the voters in his district support him and continue to do so.

3. In this day of license plate reader technology, anyone like this guy could be entered into the database as "potential drug smuggler" etc. and the police look for any probable cause for roadside encounter. Shame on him for not renewing his license or plates like everyone else has to, but he could have been targeted for introducing legislation. Love how the Reps demand he step down from his position. The political gamesmanship going on is ludicrous.

State Fair on the news (liberal CBS channel) this evening, and the question for Fair goers:
    -should marijuana be legalized?
    (I think the full story airs on the 10 o'clock.)

News Reporter: "Overwhelmingly positive reactions!" :metal:

Change is in the air. Just have to pay attention to where the "change" may lead us now. :ey:

4. For the most part the average non smoking citizen could care less about MJ. I think for these people what tends to sway them towards a positive feeling about MJ is the fact so many people go to jail/prision for MJ offences. The conservatives don't want to see tax money wasted on locking up small time pot offenders. Liberals look at minority incarceration rates for MJ offences and see an injustice. The rest of the people just like to be on the side of the majority.

5. My comment at every news article about this,,I copy/pasted it to about 5 different news outlets:

When the people take the hemp plant back from the federal government for all it's uses and has washed the 75 years of lies and propaganda out of their minds then and only then will they understand just how destructive prohibition has been in demonizing and destroying good people.

​It was top comment at most and only received positive replies.