ona gel !!!!

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by STONEDxMEXICAN, Aug 4, 2012.

1. #1 STONEDxMEXICAN, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2012
    I would like to know if there is any specific ona gel I should use ot is there any other product out there to neutralize odor ? All advise is welcome..thanks g.c

2. ona gel doesn't really work that well. I'd say it works a tiny bit better than an air freshener. I would use a different method as the main odor neutralizer, and use ona gel kind of like an added bonus. Most people use carbon scrubbers.

3. I think ona gel works very well imho. It masked the smell of my girls in flower my last grow (now I have a carbon scrubber to fight the smell).

They sell like a regular (blue) ona, and a linen (green label) ona. I have both. I don't mind them, just unscrew and it's a big block that hits your nose with a clean smell. Best way I can describe it, is the smell of a really clean hospital (you know that sanitary clean smell, lol idk).

They also sell a liquid ona gel that you can attach to one of their devices, now idk if that is worth it or not. But the regular ona gel blocks worked well for me.

4. #4 xlxlxlxlxlx, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
    Is there a big box store I can buy Ona Gel from off the shelf? I must have missed the boat on this, I hear a lot of folks swearing by this stuff.

5. I picked mine up on amazun.com :rolleyes:.....it isn't cheap, I don't think it is at least (don't remember lol).

I followed a DIY odor control, basically get a 5 gal bucket, drill holes around it, put water and the liquid ona gel inside, and put a fan over the top of the bucket on full speed...all the skunky air from flowering will get sucked in from the fan and will be neutralized by the ona in the bucket...it really did work. The water evaporated very quickly, but you just need to stay on top of that and the filling it with ona. It's not that big of deal...better than having a house that reeks of skunk and some noisy in laws. :smoke:

6. [quote name='"RooRgle"']

I picked mine up on amazun.com :rolleyes:.....it isn't cheap, I don't think it is at least (don't remember lol).

I followed a DIY odor control, basically get a 5 gal bucket, drill holes around it, put water and the liquid ona gel inside, and put a fan over the top of the bucket on full speed...all the skunky air from flowering will get sucked in from the fan and will be neutralized by the ona in the bucket...it really did work. The water evaporated very quickly, but you just need to stay on top of that and the filling it with ona. It's not that big of deal...better than having a house that reeks of skunk and some noisy in laws. :smoke:[/quote]

So what would be better to kill odor carbon scrubber or ona gel

7. Well the gel is certainly a cheaper option....I'm gonna have to look into it myself

Thanks RooRgle for the visual of what to even do with it!

8. Carbon scrubber would be the best for eliminating odors, a carbon scrubber is actually taking the air and cleaning it or scrubbing it as it gets exhausted out of the grow area, turning the skunk air into fresh clean air.

Whereas the ona gel is neutralizing some odor, but mostly masking it. The ona gel works if you can't afford the scrubber or if one won't fit in your grow tent/cab.

9. Here's a link the the DIY odor control, this is the set-up I used.

DIY Odor Control Bucket

10. How big was your setup RooRgle? Anything bigger than a 400w grow, I'd have a really hard time using only an ona block.

roorgle, the ona odor killing bucket fan device sounds like it probably would help the effectiveness of the ona. If you couldn't afford a scrubber, this would be a great option.

I think ona's place in marijuana cultivation is that of a secondary odor control. You'd have your carbon scrubber in your actual grow room killing the majority of the smell, and then in the rest of the house / apartment outside of the grow room, you have 1 or 2 ona blocks to mask any small amount of odor that got past the scrubber.

That's the way my setup is, and it works very well for my 1000w flower room.

11. This is true, my last grow it worked out well. I had a 150w hps in a smaller cab. So the smell was much easier to control.

Now I have a carbon scrubber in my tent along with a 200cfm exhaust fan, and 250w hps/mh lamp. So my situation has changed a bit, and no need for the ona. :hello:

12. #12 cheecha, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2012
    I (occasionally) use the fan on bucket with ona gel for secondary odor control outside the garden(s)..Inside they get scrubbed 24/7 in skunkier stage..
    If you need something similar that you may have in your cleaning product cab, try febreze the ones with the removable cap and empty in the bucket with a lil water..Got me through a few times..Scented candles work similarly btw..

G-day!..