On the cheap.(Thank you Sam Walton)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by StarGatherer, Feb 23, 2009.

1. #1 StarGatherer, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2009
    Hi everyone, Starman here back to help once again.been on a bit of a Haitus since last harvest.Im on my 4th grow and Im not really changing my methods.Im not a wealthy guy so I had to engineer my own way as most stoners do.I have had three very nice harvest over the last 2 years.Enough to keep me smoking and turning ppl on.Alot of ppl believe that you have to spend alot of money to make a little herb.let me fill you in on a little secret.It really doesnt cost that much.Your biggest purchase should be a good 400 to 600 watt hps.I agree that better lights yield better harvests but not everyone has dough to throw around.Myself I use a 400w hps that i bought fairly cheaply.Its withstood 3 small grows and prolly will withstand another before I splurge on a new bulb.But this thread isnt about midgame or endgame thats another barrel of monkeys.This thread is about getting started on the cheap.The only thing that I have really spent money on this grow is soil.But thats a given.Believe it or not I use MG organic, MG perlite, and Schultz peat moss.Most ppl will scream that MG kills plants dead and I would have to agree.but I have had some surprisingly pleasant results from my mixture.As for my vegetation setup your gonna love this.A rubbermaid storage container, three packaged growlights from wal-mart(Lights of America, they run about 10 to 14 dollars for the 24 inch tubes.6 to 8 dollars for new tubes)., an emergency blanket for 3 bucks at wally world, a cheap fan , some party cups and BAM we got a small garden.Now just getting started this is more than enuff.I added a desk lamp with a warm flouro to ad a little heat since its like 55 degrees F in the room.It helps with the lumens to.I did buy an outside/inside thermometer to monitor my temps.As for PH I pretty much have figured out how to get my water where I want it and my teas the same.I have never bought any online seeds and all my grows have been bagseed pretty much, but it was always better what was for sale locally.Check some of my old thread to see my plants if you doubt me.So I figure you kids could use some pics to give you an idea so here we go.Here is my little tub with a jacket on it to help insulate
    [​IMG]

I know, cheesy huh.Well Look closer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7 happy little girls I hope.I know cut that in half for sure.3 to 4 females would make me really happy, hell, even 2 and Im good till next harvest.Once they reach their 4th to 5th internode i will top them.Im debating whether to tie them down this time tho.My first harvest was my best and I didnt bend them.Maybe Ill experiment.Just before i top them I will move them to gallon containers and a bigger area with a few more cheap flouros.As for PH..I have been using a pet store fish chemical testing kit.250 uses..woot!!.here is my little thermometer.
    [​IMG]

Notice how cold it is inside..the probe for outside is with the plants.Its maintaing an 80 degree F avg in there.They are toasty and happy.
    [​IMG]

So for all you blades out there thinking you have to go and invest in a couple hundred dollars in gear remember one thing that Star told ya."Where there is a will there is the ability" and if you treat your plants well and raise them with patience you too can provide for your own.Here are some earlier plants.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can do it kids.Read all you can and remember Patience is key, knowlege is fuel and your the driver.I hope it helps.