On humility, ingenuity, & the millenial generation

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Deleted member 1061569, Feb 17, 2019.

1. i'm an ex-philosophy student and currently studying for a 4 year degree in music business. honestly i think about picking up a minor in psych tbh, because i find myself getting more deep into the inner workings of my own soul and brain as well as that of others all the time. it could just be the age, it could be the ganj, but i gotta say that more and more every day i feel like i'm becoming more awake, almost as if i've suddenly realized i've been living my life watching a VR screen and now that has been pushed away and i'm seeing things for what they really are. but if there's one thing mary jane has taught me, it's that there is layers to everything. life is like an onion, people are like onions. i'm a big onion with many layers and some of them i'm only discovering as i get older, and i feel like this journey is essential to succeed in what i wanna do.

the thesis:

the moment your ego becomes greater than your sincere desire for self improvement is the moment you start to become weaker.

because pride gets you nowhere. it's pain and sacrifice and self loathing and hatred of everything that really get you far in life. there are enough millenial kids running around with egos made of glass, enter the whole "fragile masculinity" concept. but much of it is bullshit built on a shaky foundation.

the millenials have potential and are smarter and more savvy in some ways than the previous generations, but they have too much self worth in their head that is based on nothing and think they are special snowflakes just because they exist. because that's what the education system taught you when you were a little tyke. remember those "U ARE SPECIAL" and "UR A STAR" stickers ur pre-K teacher used to stick on all your homework or whatever? that shit is poison from a young age imo. it's teaching self-value that is based on nothing and that is a dangerous trend.

by contrast, your elders had a bad-ass work ethic and worked hard for what they had, but they lacked the awaken-ness and ingenuity that this generation has. the solution, then, is to merge the two ideologies; puritan work ethic and brutal humility with a free-spirit concept of identity that does not feel threatened by societal convention.

harness the inner nihilism, use it to curdle your weak and vulnerable soul, and yet in the process of doing so, you will become infinitely stronger. a strength akin to that of Obi-Wan when he said to darth, "if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you ever could have imagined."

this is the new religion, the new millenial man/woman, the mojo rising of the 21st century. follow your dreams, work on yourself, work hard for what you want, take the road less traveled, believe the lie, unplug from the matrix, fuck the system, and question everything that is fed between your ears by others and the media.

i'm not saying be an ascetic or a monk or whatever, i think that shit is kinda damaging in a way even if their intentions are good, because it just lead you further into YOU, when the truth is that you are actually an illusion constructed by your own sensory input and at worst, the voice of the ego and the little me. you want to be the big me.. "dont it make you sad to know that life is more than who you are?"

"just keep moving forward and dont give a shit what anyone thinks. do what you have to do, for you."

- johnny depp

u dig?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Glad you are awake.
    I have problems sleeping personally.

Your philosophy is not new, its called Objectivism. Ayn Rand is a known contributor on the topic.

I can't agree with this... because its the monks that have it figured out ;) The monk's journey is to true consciousness, and preaches Loving Kindness to all sentient beings, not to the self. I suggest some Dr. Alan Wallace for some revelation. Its not the ordinary schmoe that runs the soup kitchens and the orphanages; its those that have dedicated their lives to Bhakti Yoga... something I need to do more of.

Last point, the problem the millennials may have with their personalities would be because of their forefathers, not because of themselves. The ego's been around a lot longer than they have.

Its nice to see you have garnered an interest, but don't judge the monks and ascetics! The Buddha was the light of Asia for a reason.

Looking forward to more of your comments.

• Like Like x 1
  3. no judgement, it's more just....how can i merge a somewhat enlightened approach with still being a human being? at the end of the day, i have this life to live, this day to do something with, and i guess i could just go wander off and spend the rest of my life cultivating consciousness, but i want to do things. i have worldly attachments, for better or worse, but what human being doesnt? sexual repression for instance is an issue and at the root of many mental abnormalities. i say the solution is awakenness combined with moderation

• Like Like x 1
  4. nothing wrong with that... its the essence of the Bhagavad Gita; that's one of my favorite books; 'do your duty'...
    but to those that have abandoned their desire for worldly things, that instead have recognized the benefit of learning the Dharman, those people are blessed! It is your duty to be noble, but it is also your duty to "spend the rest of my life cultivating consciousness"; like it or not, you are awakened now... Noblesse Oblige!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Curious - what is the total cost for the philosophy, the music business and then the psych?

Serious question.

I’m also curious as to what kind of a demand there is for a young man with a philosophy degree? Even music business or a minor in psychology?

Both are serious questions?

J

6. I don’t know how much kindness they can show when they only live with other monks at the top of some lonely windswept mountain in Tibet?

With Zero women?

J

7. Right on - just ask the Catholic priests.

J

8. There are temples all over the world. Real shame what happened to Tibet. There are lots of women... everywhere