OLD songs about cannabis!

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Storm Crow, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Classic cannabis songs from the Jazz Age on 420

420: Classic cannabis songs from the Jazz Age as stoners mark unofficial Weed Day

Friday marks “420”, effectively an unofficial National Weed Day in the US and around the world, where proud stoners gather to smoke cannabis and lobby for its wider legalisation.

Often wrongly assumed to be California’s police code for illegal marijuana consumption, 420 actually simply refers to the date, 20 April, on which the occasion takes place.

Why that should be the date for the celebration remains a mystery, although the day has been traced back to San Rafael, California, in the 1970s and a group of Grateful Dead fans known as the Waldos who used “420” as all-purpose slang for referring to the herb and their pressing need for its acquisition.

Recreational cannabis is now legal in nine states and in Washington, DC, for adults aged 21 and over with more expected to follow suit. Twenty-nine states meanwhile permit medical marijuana use.

The industry is estimated to be worth $10bn (£7bn) in sales already, while 64 per cent of Americans expressed support for marijuana legalisation in a recent Gallup poll.

Weed has of course been closely associated with the music industry as both subject and creative stimulant since the earliest days of recording.

Reggae, hip-hop and rock have all embraced it as readily as the Flower Power generation did. Willie Nelson is practically powered by it.

[​IMG]
    ‘Reefer Man’ singer Cab Calloway (Underwood Archives/Rex)
    But marijuana’s roots in song go back much further, at least as far back as the Jazz Age of the 1920s.

With that in mind, here’s a selection of early choice cuts very much in the 420 spirit.

Lucille Bogan - ‘Pot Hound Blues’ (1928)
    This legendary blues singer, famous for her sexually explicit lyrics, here offers a character study of a feckless lover prone to rolling a joint at the expense of being able to afford the rent.

Cab Calloway – ‘Reefer Man’ (1933)
    Zootsuited bandleader Cab Calloway, a mainstay of New York’s famous Cotton Club in its Prohibition heyday, was no stranger to the drug song, recording popular versions of “Kickin’ The Gong Around” and “The Ghost of Smokey Joe”.

He says it all here: “If he trades you dimes for nickels/And calls watermelons pickles/Then you know you’re talking to the reefer man.”

Benny Goodman and His Orchestra – ‘Texas Tea Party’ (1933)
    Cannabis was known by many nicknames during the interwar years, “Texas tea” being one of them and “viper” another.

Here, well-named trombonist Jack Teagarden takes lead vocals to complain of a girlfriend who has hidden his stash.

The Harlem Hamfats – ‘The Weed Smoker’s Dream’ (1936)
    Dixieland jazz band the Harlem Hamfats got in on the act with this reworking of the torch song “Why Don’t You Do Right?”.

The tune perfectly capture the atmosphere of a nightclub of the period engulfed in the sleepy haze of a weed fug.

The Ink Spots – ‘That Cat is High’ (1938)
    A brilliant encapsulation of the comedy of inebriation, this celebrated vocal group better known for romantic songs like “Whispering Grass”, “If I Didn’t Care” and “I Don’t Want To Set The World On Fire” essay a laidback, stoned style complete with a Django Reinhardt-influenced gypsy guitar solo and scat singing to mock a reveller who has badly over done it.

From Ray Charles singing “Let’s Get Stoned” to Peter Tosh’s “Legalise It”, Black Sabbath’s “Sweet Leaf” and Redman’s “How To Roll A Blunt”, marijuana has continued to inspire creativity from this starting point over the succeeding 80 years.

What these great old recordings emphasise is how relaxed performers’ attitudes to cannabis once were – and that any stigma attached to spliffs and stoner culture were imposed much later by conservative social forces.

And a few more from my collection!

Blue Reefer Blues - Richard Jones & his Jazz wizards (1935)

' Sweet Marijuana' Sing-along song from the 1934 Hollywood picture 'Murder at the Vanities' “Sweet Marijuana” song (topless gals in this one)

Gertrude Michael - Marahuana 1934 (Marijuana) “Marijuana” 1934

Marijuana Boogie.wmv Marijuana Boogie

Trixie Smith - Jack, I'm Mellow (1938) Jack, I'm Mellow+

If You're a Viper - Bob Howard and his Boys (1938)

Marijuana, The Devil's Flower by Mr Sunshine Marijuana, the Devil’s Flower

ENJOY!

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Listen to reggae music to get together and celebrate 420 are you really gonna listen to that old jazz shit with your friend....no lol a reggae song goes down well when your all having a smoke those are a few good old ones but there's many more old reggae songs about pot.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. This one slays me -

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Absolutely love this list Granny! I'm a fan of our musical roots... This says Happy 420 to me!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. @ iced Which kind of music a person prefers is a matter of individual taste!

My taste in music appears to be a bit more eclectic than yours! I happen to enjoy a wide range of music! Sorry that your taste in music is SO restricted!

Granny

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Agreed granny ^ everybody should enjoy music and 420 in the way they want. Who needs restrictions on how to celebrate? Especially with something as subjective as music.

Amazing thread though! So much music I will be delving into. I love jazz even before playing in jazz band in high school (graduated 10 years ago). Truly one of the most expressive styles of music around. I was once told by my band teacher that "there are no wrong notes in jazz, just bad decisions. If you play an off key note in a solo, play it again and then again, own it and make it your own".

I am actually smoking with a fellow band nerd tomorrow and it's certain we will be listening to all these songs. Thank you!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 3
  8. I cant force myself to enjoy music I don't like just because it's about weed.

• Like Like x 1
  9. No one's asking you to!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. The opening track to Black Sabbath’s 1971 third LP Master of Reality

“Sweet Leaf”

B46A41F6-F063-41CD-B2CC-244C25B8EDEB.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. #13 Mr. Mojorising, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018

Take care Granny, Happy ,420!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Well we'll then get lost. This is not your thread.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Oh come on people.... what about Wildwood weed. Just sitting there on that sack of seeds.

Or how about hippy girl from unknown hinson? Great thread granny. Go girl!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. It's the perfect thread for me. Nice attempt at being bossy. Sorry it failed for you

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Ok I'll