Old Skool Thai Guide.

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by GroovyGas, Apr 16, 2019.

1. This is gonna be a long guide so bare with me.
    So I’ve seen there’s not many useful guides on rolling Thai sticks online so I’m gonna make one for those of you that would like to try.
    Here’s the background on Thai sticks for those of you that don’t know.
    (I just copied this from a website)- History of the Thai Stick
    Thai Sticks didn’t start off being called “Thai Sticks” of course; you wouldn’t call joints rolled in America “America Sticks” now would you?

The name came about because of the “Thai” variety of marijuana.

This strain, known as a “landrace” for its unique cultural origins, was one of the first strains grown in Thailand and became famous for its psychoactive properties.

A pure sativa strain, Thai is the grandfather of many famous strains such as Voodoo, Juicy Fruit and even the almighty classic Haze. Thai became exceptionally famous to the rest of the world thanks to American soldiers bringing it back to their home country during the 70s and 80s after the Vietnam War.

During the war, many soldiers were exposed to the freer, more open minded mentality regarding drugs during their time overseas. Additionally, with expanding air travel and international trips becoming more commonplace, many Americans fresh out of university were finding themselves wanting an experience out of their comfort zone; thus, they travelled to Thailand.

Thai people have been wrapping their marijuana into Thai Sticks since before they even knew what America was, so when the Americans saw these native Thai people smoking their marijuana in a totally different, unique way, they simply copied it.
    Cannabis Thai Sticks were then suddenly all over the place; they spread across the pacific and into the USA.
    You can read more from the actual source if you’d like- What is a Cannabis Thai Stick?
    —————————————————————
    Alright enough with that lets get rollin!
    I’ll be doing 2 different methods one being the simple one and the other a bit more complicated.
    I’ll start off with the more complicated one so you feel a lot more confident when it comes time for the easy one :laughing:

Materials for the original Thai rolling method
    - Fresh washed cannabis/hemp leafs.
    - 2 grams of hash oil (More the better)
    - Keif (Optional)
    - Clean sharp scissors
    - wood/metal skewer (Size dependent)
    - Fluffy Nugs (7-28 Grams)
    - Sheet of paper (Helpful but not necessary)
    - String (Preferably Hemp)
    - Fridge/Mini Fridge
    - 2 weeks of patience
    The Thai sticks a long process so be prepared to wait a few days in between steps.

Step 1
    Gather ur bud and skewer and ur piece of paper.
    Find a nice place to sit cause this usually takes a little while depending on the amount used and the fluffiness of the buds. If ur wondering why fluffy it’s cause the buds are easier to mould around the skewer. [​IMG]Ill be using 7 grams for this guide but it’s the same process no matter the amount you use. Just be sure ur skewers not to wide but not to thin otherwise you’ll get to much airflow or lack of airflow and trust me that sucks to break apart a Thai stick that took 2 weeks to make cause you messed up the hole size...
    So after you get ur bud and skewer go ahead and grab ur sheet of paper and form a valley in the bottom of the paper. Then separate ur bud about 50/50 and pack half of it down in the valley. Next slightly pack ur skewer into the first layer of bud as seen below.
    [​IMG]
    After it looks something like that add ur next layer of bud on top the skewer. Next is the hard part... everyone’s gonna find there own way to mould it around but personally I rolled the paper into a large “joint” and roll it extremely hard on a counter top Ect.

Step 2
    After you’ve successfully “wrapped” the entire skewer it time to apply the string. [​IMG]Unfortunately I ran out of hemp string so I had to use fishing string...
    (Not recommended)
    The key is to wrap it as tight as possible and smaller string gets wrapped around the buds when trying to remove it so therefore use a thick string.
    Step 2 (The waiting process)
    After it’s all wrapped up go ahead and plop it in a plastic bag and try to remove as much air as possible. Then find a nice dark spot in ur fridge and leave it there for 48 hours minimum.
    [​IMG]
    I usually wrap a small amount of brown bag around around it to prevent light and excess moisture.[​IMG]

Step 3
    After what probably seems like forever you can go ahead and gently remove ur Thai stick from the fridge and start unwrapping it. If the bud starts to fall off you didn’t wrap it tight enough or leave it in the fridge long enough so try to wrap it back together and repeat the fridge process but for a longer period of time.

Step 4
    Go ahead and gather ur fresh cut leafs and give them a nice little wash. I usually choose the largest and longest leafs possible since it takes less time to wrap but some prefer more wrapping for a slower burning process.
    After you wash them let them dry for a few hours or until there no visible water.
    [​IMG]
    After they’ve dried off for awhile get ur sharp scissors are remove the leaf stalk. If you don’t it’s gonna be a pain in the ass to get a nice even roll so I highly recommend it.
    [​IMG]

Step 5
    Now you don’t have to do this step but I’ve found it to be WAY easier! If you’d like to do this go ahead and cut the bottom and top off ur leaf along with the ridge sides. You should end up with something that resembles a rolling paper
    [​IMG]

Step 6
    Next gather ur concentrates oil and keif and start applying dribbles on to leaf like seen below
    [​IMG] Make sure you coat both ends nicely since that’s what holding it together.
    After you’ve applied ur desired amount it’s time to start rolling! I usually place the Thai stick on a table to perform the wrapping process.
    It’s pretty self explanatory from here but once you’ve successfully wrapped ur entire Thai it’s time to put it back in bag and fridge for another few days (1-2 weeks for best results)

Step 7
    Finally it’s time to gather a large group of friends or family and get ready for a huge smoke out!
    Depending on the amount of oil , Bud , and leafs used they can burn for up to an hour!
    Most I’ve had was around 45 minutes and that was a half oz with 2 grams of oil and 20ish leafs.
    ——————————————————-
    Time for the simple guide for those of you that just got stressed out...

Materials
    - Toothpick
    - 2-3 grams of weed (a little less is fine)
    - Joint roller (HIGHLY recommended)
    - 5-10 Large Washed Leafs
    - Hash Oil
    - Keif (Optional)
    - Fan
    - Boveda 62 (Recommended)
    - Small zip lock (Recommended)
    This is a super simple guide that takes less then 20 minutes once you get the hang of it.

Step 1
    The joint roller is pretty much necessary unless ur a rolling god. So these steps are the same as the big one just small scale and with the help of a joint roller. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Step 2
    Roll the joint with pressure against a table after you rolled around in the joint roller to make sure you have a solid stick. Now gather ur leafs and oil and start wrapping
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Once you’ve finished ur wrap you’re good to remove ur toothpick. Hold the stick firmly and slowly pull and twist the toothpick until it’s loose.
    If you’d like you can trim both ends for a cleaner looking stick as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You should be able to see a hole threw the stick if you’ve followed all the steps properly.
    [​IMG]
    Now you can either put it directly in the fridge or dry it with a fan for 24 hours then put it in the fridge. I personally leave it in there for 48 hours then store it in a ziplock with a boveda 62 for a week. You’ll have a clean smoke after a week but the longer the better. It takes me about an hour to roll 5 of these bad boys but each one burns for an average of 30 minutes.
    [​IMG]
    There you have it. These things pack a punch so I like to invite friends over. Sometimes I smoke em myself lol.
    [​IMG]
    Hope you all give this a try and I didn’t just waste 2 hours of my time :laughing:
    Feel free to ask questions or post a method of ur own. Sorry if there’s an typing errors.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. This was very interesting and informative.
    Growing up in the 70's in Cali, we used to get a lot of Thai. Both on and off the stick.

I really miss sativa strains like Thai, Colombian and Acapulco gold. We also got a lot of sativa from Hawaii while most of the country was smoking Mexican brick weed

I'm too lazy to use this recipe but thanks and I'm sure less lazy folk will have fun making these!

• Like Like x 1
  3. I hope you don't mind if I keep this guide handy. I'm growing a 16 week Thai landrace now.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Well roll me in garlic and call me stinky. That's a killer joint.

Still I reckon I'd pass up the awful tasting leaf wrapping for a ultra thin rolly paper.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Yea man give it try. 16 weeks?! Outdoor or indoor? 16 weeks outdoor would put me in the rainy season.

6. You’d be surprised after a few weeks of curing.
    Taste like nothing but bud.

• Like Like x 2
  7. indoor
    0415192007.jpg 0409191844.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I dried some larf nugs off the bottom. Made me do freaking dishes. Zoom Zoom

• Like Like x 1