Old school

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by CLKWRK, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Is this Tie Fighter? :eek:
    I NEED to d/l this again, been years!
    Holy shit, remember when LucasArts was a respected game designer?

2. Got one of these on my wall among many others. Was my first game really. I was 4 when i started playing it.

[​IMG]

*Just a reference pic. Not my actual cart.

3. Ahhh the game that saved Squares ass.

4. The Super Nintendo will always be my favorite console of all time. The playstation is second.

SNES:
    Legend of Mana, Final Fantasy 2 and 3 (6 technically), Chrono Trigger, Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Mario Kart, Mario Allstars, Breath of Fire 1 and 2, Donkey Kong Country, F-Zero, and so many more.

PS1:
    Final Fantasy (Anthologies, Chronicles, 7-9, and tactics), Driver, Chrono Cross, Legend of Dragoon, Gran Turismo 1 and 2, Tekken 3, THPS 1-3, Crash Bandicoot (Crash Racing), Silent Hill, and Bushido Blade 2 to name just a few.

All of those games will always get a ton of play from me. Those systems ruled my childhood, but when I pack them away, I can't help but getting them back out a couple months later to play.

5. Crash Bandicoot! I prefered Spiro The Dragon :) Anyonr played Spiro the Dragon?

6. Shit man! I forgot all about Spryo! I had all three in a boxset. AGHH! Now I want to play it again!

7. shite, totally spelt that wrong haha, Spryo..
    wow all apologies to the almighty god of Spyro.
    you know what i loved most about that game, that magic hot air balloon that would take you from level to level ): wish i could play it...
    i sold all my old consoles and games at Cash Converters haha...ohhh

8. If you've got a computer, you can play. Just need a playstation emulator and the rom...

9. Is that the scorch level from Ripto's Rage? That's just a big wild guess. I haven't touched that game in like 5 years. I want to say my favorite level or at least one of them, was I believe from the first one with the singing monks?

10. I have a SNES and 64 hooked up at my house...

Games: Streets of Rage, BattleToads, MK(All), NHL 94, John Monatana's Football, Gun Star Heroes, Toejam and Earl, Blitz, Marios(pretty sure all), Zelda(multiple versions), Final Fight, Street Fighter(multiple versions), Sonic, Donkey Kong, Killer Instinct, ACME All Stars... Probably a bunch more but that is all I can think of off the top of me head.

11. i slightly remember that level, mine was the one set at night time, and it had the really trippy music playing.
    And that level where you had to ram the Money Bags guy in his bum to get all your gems back :) you chased him around ramming his arse lololol. lol

12. I'm glad to see some people here who still play old school games. Ya just don't see it that often anymore.

13. get with the times you bitter old men

14. But why??? I'd much rather get pissed at Mario then a fucking 8 yr old schooling me in COD, and talking shit.

15. old school games are great and all but i prefer good new games. also i hate call of duty

16. I enjoy new school games too. But i prefer Old school. Just the amount of skill it takes to beat the games makes it worth while.

17. To say fuck the current-gen consoles because the old school games were "better" kind of confuses me. I mean, yeah, they were more original back then but most of them didn't really have that much replay value. There are some real time-burners out there nowadays and I'd take most of them over one an older game anyday, but I'm not saying that the older games weren't good, I grew up playing most of them and they really do have sentimental value to me, but gaming has only gotten better as time has gone on.

18. Are you fucking kidding me? No replay value? I can't even begin to calculate how many hours I've wasted on the Mario series alone. Then you add all the classic RPGs in there and I easily spent a couple thousand hours playing them. I mean, between Pokemon Red and Silver I logged roughly 800 hours.

When people say old school is better, chances are they mean the content of the game and the learning curve as well. I've met tons of younger kids who can't play older video games (they just suck) but they can pick up and play Halo no trouble. The learning curve was much more difficult before EVERYONE and their dogs started playing video games. The content was amazing as well. Games had a lot of depth. What they didn't have in graphics they made up for with a story that grabbed you in and kept you in until the end. I hardly see that in new games. I hardly see games aimed at the solo player anymore as well. Most people want to bang out a game as quick as possible, with decent graphics, and online play. A lot of them skip what made gaming so fun back in the day, solo play and a great story line. Very few games have that nowadays and very few games have replay value now as well. You can't really count online play in CoD, Battlefield, etc.. as replay value.