Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Old school strains - Where are you??? Acapulco Gold, Pananma Red, Columbian...

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by FreeMJ, Sep 28, 2009.

1. hey hey GC what's going on. stop arguing about when weed was better - it doesn't matter if it was good or bad in the 60s. people love it, and still love it today no matter what the chemical content is. if you wanna smoke your old strains go ahead, no ones stopping you, but we shouldn't start arguing about anything. weed is weed wherever you go, so let's all just smoke up and enjoy our lives instead of yelling at each other. its grasscity people. peace and love should be spread everyhwere.

idk if that made sense, i just took a few bong rips so yeah bear with me. try to get the central message

2. Those papers were Esmeralda Papers. I've rollled 1 1/2oz party joints in the 70's w/ em.

3. I remember those. We rolled some massive joints back then. One of those can get a dozen people really messed up.

4. I don't think younger people (such as myself) should doubt the actual experience of veteran stoners. They aren't all just disgruntled hippies.

Personally, I enjoy the variety in cannabis. I think there's a place for high THC weed and high CBD weed. Hopefully, more dispesaries will see this and expand their variations of strains.

Also- having been to India a few times (and going back again in December) I have to say that although the buds may not be as pretty as they are here, they have some incredibly powerful stuff for cheap. (if you know the locals)

Anyways, happy smoking :smoke:

5. I was in Africa sometime during the late 70's and I didn't know if I'd be able to score any decent weed so I brought along a few pin joints of Gold/Red Columbian. The LandRover Driver I got assigned to got me some schwag weed somewhere in Tanzania that looked horrible but got me pretty stoned. One night I decided to share one of my Columbian joints with him. He was impressed with the taste and quality of the weed I brought to Africa from the America's. Kinda made for a very enjoyable safari knowing I got to share some of my weed with the natives.:)

Africa is an awesome place to visit. At the time, Mandrax aka Quaaludes were available OTC in Kenya. They sure helped me sleep on the long flight back to the USA.

6. im only 20 but nowadays I get man sellin me draws sayin its shit like 'rainbow kush' and stupid shit like that. I remember about 5 or 6 years it used to only ever be actual strains like mazar, northern lights, widow, haze.. yuno classic shit.. i think all these stupid strain names for strains that are just crosses of existing strains are absolutely ridiculous, especially when its most likely lost quality during the breeding process.

7. I've smoked goods that give perfect highs, where you just feel like going out and doing something. That to me is the best type of high. I don't know about these old school strains, but perhaps they didn't cause couchlock like some of todays weed??

8. So many great points. Great read but one think I would like to add on the subject of the old weed. The older hippies say it's the best, takes you to another universe. They rolled pinners as well.

Is it just me or does smoking a really small amount of weed sometimes create an intense head high? I've smoked practically every day for over 2 and 1/2 years and I've still noticed this within the last few weeks. I can smoke a gram and get blasted, tired or take a small/decent hit and be functional as well as pretty high and trippy (not the best desciptions). Any comments?

9. You know, I'd bet you're right. That is, I don't remember the phrase...it's everywhere now.
    Sure, we got heavily stoned, but there was less of a HEAVY nature to it. You literally weren't DRUGGED. You could snap out of it. Likewise, the Anxiety-when it was experienced- was less troublesome.
    In all, I still support the notion that heavy cultivation and crosbreeding has led to a qualitatively and quantitatively different high in the majority of weed now available.
    It just makes sense. The numbers support it.

And if you want to breed a dog with short legs or a long nose, eventually you get it. Now I LOVE Daschunds, but I never intended to SMOKE one.
    Thanks

10. After talking to several old timers all said the same thing, until I met a guy who used to smoke pre-hippy times, who gave the most realistic non-nostalgic explanation of weed. Any generation has almost the same potential, but back in the 60s and 70s none of growers had much of a clue about nutrients, separating the genders, when to harvest, trimming, even proper aging. The talk about the amazing weed, was nostalgia like how amazing high school was, but during it sucked and most could not wait to leave.

As for purple haze, while the high was great there are much better hybrid strains. Since purple haze was difficult to grow and took a long time to harvest, with average output, it became obsolete. He said if he would rate it against current strains it would be about as potent as the fruit hazes.

11. You didn't say anything that hasn't already been said. Most domestic weed was sub-par; it was the era of good imports.

12. Lol, are you blind man?

13. Can someone make a list of all the "landrace" strains or old school sativas? Im curious about if theres possibly a seed bank for them.... Anyway any help in my search would help!!!

I want to stop getting unfunctionally high everytime i smoke.

14. No he is just not ignorant like many in this thread are, of the fact that pictures, especially crappy ones, don't tell you jack shit about the high you'll get from a given bud.

Mucho blunto, look for anything Colombian, South African, Thai, or from Southern Mexico.

15. #115 ICGreen, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2010

Try taking a decent sized toke, hold it a few seconds, let a third out, breath in some fresh air, repeat.
    I'm not sure why i do this occassionaly, but I swear i get a nicer buzz off less of the same weed. Perhaps the fresh oxygen allows your alveoli to refresh with a new load?

Anyways, works for me. :D:smoke:

16. techniques are improving

more and more people finding new ways or using different supplies to grow their crop..

that and scientists in genetics labs are creating more and more potent cannabis as we speak...

you just have to be at the right place at the right time:smoke:

either way smoke weed and get high like you usually do...you didnt care about it before did you?

17. Thank you, nice find. It brings back a lot of memories, I'll have to go through my garage and find my High Times from the Mid 70's. :wave::smoke:

18. Tokehouse:
    Well, yeah, the whole purpose of this inquiry, is to arrive at better strains...not super strains. We didn't used to think about it, because pot did what we liked. For the lucky whom pot serves perfectly in it's present amalgam...high THC /low CBD strains, again, lucky them.
    For the rest of us, we want what nature provided amply before the mad dash to cultivate super potent weed. It progressed as quickly in three decades- maybe quicker- than did the refinement of cocaine (which, chewed as coca leaves, provides a great, easy uplifting high with few ill side effects if not abused. Cocaine...well, there are a lot of graves filled with the results of that little experiment. Ditto meth, crack, etc.
    It's gone too far, and people -lots of them, at least- are ready to line up for the super potent sub-par.
    We want better.
    Thanks

19. That's science fiction bullshit. There is no genetic manipulation of cannabis going on. As for techniques, those have just enabled bigger yields in smaller spaces.