Old PC Games - What did you play back in the day?

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by jerry111165, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Man - peeing on people lol

J

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. First game I ever played was Pong on a little box that plugged into your TV. My buddy Mike and I became Pong sharks on the four player units in the pubs in Richmond, BC where I grew up. Rarely had to buy our beer past the first one back when a 16oz glass of draft was two bits.

Moved out to Calgary in '76 and played a lot of the games in bars like Striker, a side-scrolling fighter jet racing thru caves. Won a lot of money playing that at Verona's on 4th st. in Mission. PacMan and Ms. PacMan of course. Lots of others I can't recall.

Back to BC in '82 living in Aldergrove in the Fraser Valley and got into playing Gravitor at the local arcade. I'm almost 30 by then. Would play until I got the high score then wander back a week later and the same guy's initials would be on top again. This went on for months then I was in there establishing dominance again and some kid about 17 came up and stood off to the side a bit watching me play. Got the high score by a few lousy points but that was good enough. Punched in my initials and the kid says, So you're that guy!

We got to talking and he invites me out to smoke some pot and had some really decent shit. Said he was moving away and had come back for one last game. I headed home and a few days later went down to the mall and checked the score on the machine. It showed the game title, high scores and something else over and over again until you dropped a quarter in. He was on top about 50 points above my last one. Never played the game again. Was outgrowing it anyhow and just played the last few months to stay on top anyways.

Had a console at home that I can't recall the name of but had Donkey Kong and a bunch of other games on cartridges. Later got an Amiga that took game cartridges too but picked up some used parts like a floppy drive for it so ended up with tons of games for that.

Jump to '87 when I went back to school for a diploma in chemistry and got my first PC. A PC compatible Commodore PC 10 II with 2 - 5 1/4 inch floppies and no hard drive. Monochrome amber monitor too. Sales guy at future shop gave me a few floppies with games and stuff including an emulator program so I could play games on it. Also MS Flight Simulator 1.0 that had a little Red Baron air combat game along with the Cessna flying program. Played that damn air combat game like a junkie. lol

Lots since like F22 Stealth Fighter, all the Leisure Suit Larrys, Dooms, Quakes, Wolfensteins, etc etc. Never got into RPGs or online play tho. Now it's just 3D Impact Asteroids and Spider Solitaire.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Suprised nobody has mention the Fallout series yet. Fallout 2 was my fav. Cool thread, brings good memories.

Other favs
    Counterstrike
    AoE
    Nhl
    Madden
    Duke nukem - titties for the win haha

• Like Like x 1
  4. Duke Nukem was kind of fun for a while but paled in comparison with Return of WolfenStein. Aimed more at the younger crowd that would be titillated by pixelated titties. :)

I was in my 40s at least when I played it.

I never played any of those other games you list.

Last game I bought for the PC was Reservoir Dogs. Based on the movie but didn't play much of it.

5. Contra is my first memory. :hello:

• Like Like x 1
  6. All Hail the King, Baby!”

Re: Fallout series - man has way too much of my life been wasted on that game lol

And dude - I had NO idea - but just now saw that there is a new Fallout game coming out in November?

“Fallout 76” - online Fallout game? I’m pretty much a Fallout junkie (although I have t played much of anything since last winter - too busy)

Jeez I had no idea.

J

7. Mainly a LOT of Cavedog's Total Annihilation and expansions. Not so much Total Annihilation: Kingdom though. Some Starcraft but never really got into it too seriously - mostly played the Zerg (/radiofreezerg). Didn't have a Playstation until the second iteration so got my Final Fantasy VII fix on the PC. Then Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (original - didn't play the expansion until a few years ago) about as much as TA. Maybe even more so. Still absolutely love that game & dust it off from time to time. That's about it other than Kongregate games and Wrath of the Lich King era of World of Warcraft later on. Always been more of a console gamer - just hard to beat that PS2 library especially.

8. Been PC gaming since 1982, when I was 10. The original Wizardry was my fav, along with Ultima II. Telengard was fun to hack. Flight simulators ran at about .5 FPS but were still fun. Mid-late 80's I was mostly on the Amiga - Pirates!!! Shadow of the Beast was cool too. In the 90's it was back to PC, and started gaming while high :) Ultima 7 - are you kidding me! Start of addiction. Had to modify autoexec.bat and config.sys to squeeze every possible bit out of 640k ram to get it to run. Comanche 4 was a ton of fun, and any Jane's simulators. Warcraft 2 caused me to lose my high-school sweetheart :( Command and Conquer: Red Alert was fun too. Late 90's there was this awesome seafaring pirate game called Seadogs. Early 2k's Medal of Honor was my first taste of online FPS. Then Battlefield 1942 came out. Addiction complete. Desert Combat stole at least 2-3 years of my life. Some of my all-around favorites has been the first Bioshock, Neverwinter Nights 2, and the first Ghost Recon and Rainbox Six games w/ online coop, Men of War: Assault Squad 2, BF4, Overwatch. There are too many games on the market anymore hard to pick which to sink time into...

• Like Like x 1
  9. I never met her and I can confirm to you that Warcraft 2 is better than your high school sweetheart.

Command and Conquer Red Alert was too.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. Obviously, Bethesda knows what they're doing, but I always found the Elder Scrolls series more interesting than Fallout.

I'm a fan of post apocalyptic worlds, but I found the ES series' ancient world was better than the Fallout post apocalyptic one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. #92 Stannabis420, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Ultima (PC), Alone in the dark (Mac), Castles Siege & Conquest (Mac), Command & Conquer (played the Mac demo a ton, ha...later PC), Warcraft I & II (Mac), StarCraft (Mac) and 2 MUDs (PC & Mac, PhoenixMUD, I think, an the other I cannot remember the name of at all), Oregon Trail (every computing platform encountered practically), etc.

Then moved on to stuff like Fallout, Diablo, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc.

Ultima, the entire series, I definitely have the most fun/nostalgic memories of playing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Was never really into PC games. There was one that got me into FPS for a while tho. It was called ''Rebel Moon Rising" doubt anyone has heard of it, think it came free with the computer back in the mid 90's

13. Dungeon master,eye of the beholder,captive on the old Amiga 500
    Age of Empires,Asheron's call,Lineage 2 on the PC

• Like Like x 2
  14. Oh god, wasted a lot of time on Lineage 2, last mmorpg I ever played!

The rest of those games are incredible though. Thanks for sharing! :) AmigaOS_Boing_Strandball_001.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  15. I spent a lot of time on Age of Empires II as a youngin'

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Diablo 2
    Championship Manager

• Like Like x 1
  17. Warcraft 2

• Like Like x 2
  18. I played that a bit but I spent ungodly amounts of time on Warcraft III on battle.net

• Like Like x 1
  19. Amiga - It came from the desert

• Like Like x 1