Old PC Games - What did you play back in the day?

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by jerry111165, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Reminiscing - what are some old time pc games you enjoyed?

Anyone remember Crusaders of the Dark Savant? That was my introduction into RPG dungeon games.

Your old favorites?

J

2. Ohh dude when you mention old PC games , i am all the way back to 64 and Amiga days

I had tons of fav games including Decathlon , Pirates Gold

3. Hey Gnik- cool to see you man.

Damn - the Ol Commodore! That goes back a ways lol my first was “newer” than that though - a 286 that me and my brother built - you know, pre-Windows days, when you actually had to understand MS-Dos commands.

I honestly don’t remember the games you mentioned. Do you (maybe remember roughly what year those were? My first computer days were most likely around 1985. My older brother was the computer geek - but he showed me and I got hooked, always taking them apart, upgrading when I could. I do remember in let’s say ‘87?? we built a 486 and it cost me well over a thousand bucks - but back then it was a racing machine!

Another one from back then was “Out of This World” - anyone remember that one?

J

4. Pirates gold was an Amiga game if i am not mistaken it was around early 90's
    It was a Sid Meier game one of his best games

Decathlon was early 80's i think it was 1983 something like that. It was an Activision game and offered co op so you could play with your friends. It was a joystick killer :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. ****PONG****

Lol

Ahhh - the Sid Meier games. NOW I remember.

J

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. My first console as a kid was an Atari .
    But the first pc game i fell in love with was commander keen haha was such a cool game

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  7. Man, we had a great whole mess of different Commander Keen games back when!

I *think*? “Goodbye Galaxy” was the first?

91053C6A-2D18-4746-928D-42DDF646E6B0.gif

• Like Like x 2
  8. #8 jerry111165, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Here’s an oldie some of you might remember - Contra!

And some of my other old favorites -

Jill of the Jungle
    Jetpack
    Wolfenstein 3D
    The Apogee games -remember the old Duke Nukem?

I’m sure I’ll remember more.

J

• Like Like x 2
  9. Joust and Q-bert were fun bar games

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Commander Keen was apogee games and ideas from the deep, which later became the ultra legendary id games.

Super fun games lol

I have my copies of Mist and Riven still... When i first played mist i had to actually get a bit older too grasp its vague play style lol

• Like Like x 1
  11. Duke Nukem, Rise of the Triad and Doom...........all good games!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Yessir - Apogee was pioneers at the time for sure...

And then iD became huge with Doom. Remember Heretic and then Hexen? (Raven Software?) Countless late nights with them.

Wolfenstein will always be a favorite for me - and especially when Return to Castle Wolfenstein came out!

J

13. I have hexen on n64 haha

The newer Wolfenstein games still hold up too, Bethesda and id make a good team, even if they are both technically zenimax lol.

And quake... I don't think it held up as well but that game shaped 3d shooters after Wolfenstein and Doom pretty much built the genre haha

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Anyone remember commander keen? Or MYST? Both great games!

15. Both have been mentioned though i spelled myst wrong lol

Looking at my copy of riven, its 75mb across like 4 cds hahaha holy shit

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. its crazy how games were vs.now

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. MYST started the whole graphic point and click genre - and Keen probably started side scrollers lol

J

18. Earliest game not mentioned yet?

The first game I remember playing on PC was called STRIFE.

I was going to mention C&C:Red Alert and Red Alert 2 but I still play Yuri's Revenge. Not to mention the fan-made expansion pack Mental Omega just dropped and I've been playing it like crazy.

• Like Like x 1
  19. #19 jerry111165, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    I mentioned my first Dungeon/RPG “Crusaders of the Dark Savant” (Wizardry 7 by Sir-Tech Software) in my first post - if I remember it correctly it was 13 - 3.5” floppies - so 40-50 mb? Lol
    Man, I spent a year of very late nights playing that game - on 40mb worth of data.

1C045F63-0650-420A-8273-43AF481D9183.jpeg

J

• Like Like x 1
  20. Oregon trail

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1