Old MMORPGs

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by Buddy Dink, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Does anyone know of any new(er) games that play like the old Ultima Online or the old Tibia?

The qualities of these games were the most fun of any MMORPG I've ever played. You mechanics can't be mastered in a week, the maps are too big to find everything, the player vs player is completely open, and the penalty for dying is truly frustrating. This makes player vs player actually worth while. If you die, you don't just respawn and try again. You lose gold, items, experience, etc.

So this is my question... Does anyone know of a game where the mechanics are difficult, the player versus player and whole map are completely open, and the death penalty is frustrating?

2. #2 Deleted member 409203, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2023

3. #3 Number1Indica, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2011
    yes, i truly believe tibia is the greatest concept of any mmorpg i have ever played, instead of holding your hand it just lets you figure shit out, at least it did 7 years ago. to bad im an ultra high lvl now and retired for many years :p all games get old after awhile

Tibia also had the most interesting and by far the most dynamic server-to-server community OF ALL TIME! no other RPG will ever have a flourishing community like tibia ...

Runescape was awesome to, i stopped playing right around the time they released the 3d versions beta... it was horrid imho.

4. I really miss ultima online. The free serers could be fun to mess around on.

5. Runescape was sooooo addicting!! I agree the 3D version ruined all the fun. Definitely a classic.

6. I used to play DAoC (Dark Age of Camelot) years ago and quit playing about 2 and half years ago. Even though I miss it at times they dont make mmorpgs like they used to. Heard that daoc 2 was in plans, we'll see.

7. darkfall, eve

8. FF11 is the best mmo, yeah i said it.

9. Rs used to be awesome. FUCK JAGEX. Pieces of fucking shit.

10. Darkfall. It's full open PvP, only thing is if you attack in towns you will get attacked by guard towers (I think). It's pretty cool, but they're seriously losing a lot of business for some reason. I haven't played for over a year.

11. I admit, i use to play runescape too.

gee wiz, i remember asking my friend in blockbuster what it was.. "What is that game, rune-scape????"

12. [quote name='"Yagyujubei"']FF11 is the best mmo, yeah i said it.[/quote]

I agree with this statement

13. Darkfall(2009?) and Mortal Online(2010) are pretty similar because they are both an open world with pvp. In Darkfall you can loot people you kill and there are no names overhead so it is somewhat easy to sneak up on people who are not aware, but this game has a lot of farming and grinding to get skills up. Mortal Online is also open world with pvp, and looting. I only played Mortal Online in beta and it was cool but lacking, since then they have added a lot of content and made the game much cooler (same with darkfall).

I think they both have free trials so you can try them out:D