Okay To Run 600w ballast 24/7 while vegging?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by c0rup7, Nov 2, 2011.

1. #1 c0rup7, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2011
    Is it Okay To Run 600w ballast 24/7 while vegging? The seller I purchased the system from on Ebay says yes but I just wanted second opinions..

My buddy has a 1000w and he said his ballast gets hot to the touch yet mine is pretty cool - warm maximum. (Has a little cooling fan, he's doesn't so I think that helps)

I keep the temps good in the room usually about 72 - 78 is this okay to run 24/7 during veg cycle then 12-12 it when I see fit?

Also regarding fires, they are rare I was told by the guy from the grow shop.

a 600w running 24/7 isn't too much wattage for a house is it?

2. Absolutely! A lot of growers (myself included) believe 24/0 is not only safe, but beneficial. That, however, is not backed up by any real data though cannabis being a C3 plant supports that notion. Your microwave and computer both use more than 600w, too! Expect to pay about $40 a month for electricity running 24/0, and just over $30 for 18/6. My ballast is not that hot (I have a 600w). Your temps are very good, try to keep them 75-78 and you're looming great!

3. There's no way for us to know if your wiring can safely handle 600W. You need to map the circuit.

Figure out what is sharing the circuit with your grow, how much power everything uses and what the circuit is rated for (check the breakers). Don't go over 80% of that rating.

I'm sure a search can help you more from here.

4. What wiring are you referring to?

It's a house with mostly new electrical wiring & the SRP box in the back doesn't even move that fast while the HPS is running so my friend said it should be no big deal.. You know that indicator that moves left -- > too right??

Thanks for your reply :)

5. By "wiring" I'm referring to the physical wires that run from your breaker box to your grow room and to everything else they share a circuit with. These wires need to be thick enough to provide power to everything that will take it, otherwise they will start a fire.

If it's a new house, you're probably OK but again, there's no way we can know.

Ensure you have a 15A or higher breaker for the circuit that the grow room is on. Then, make sure you aren't sharing that circuit with other power-hungry stuff like a microwave, refrigerator, heater, A/C, etc and you'll be safe.

6. The house isn't using much electricity so I think I'll be okay. Arn't many people running 1000w's with no problems at all? Some dual 1000's?

7. [quote name='"c0rup7"']The house isn't using much electricity so I think I'll be okay. Arn't many people running 1000w's with no problems at all? Some dual 1000's?[/quote]

Some people are running 6 600s just for flowering. Lol
    But to be fair..we did add 8 outlets that have 80 amps available.

1 600 should be fine...turn off the breaker to see what else is connected to that circuit to be sure.

SignSmoker

8. Sorry, double post.

SignSmoker

9. yeah it's just 1 600 lol.. Just imagine if the house had 2 comps on with 600+ watt cpu's it'd be about the same or more.. I think I'll be fine but thanks guys

10. How much did it cost to add the outlets? what did you tell the contractor it was for, if you didn't do it yourself that is :p?

11. My Dad's an electrician so idk, he re-did it all himself just paid cost of the materials I assume

Also regarding:

There's 20A in that room so I should be fine right if the power thing for the ballast only says 2.5/5A on it?

12. Yeah, if that 20A is just for that room and nothing else power-hungry, you should be all set and then some, power-wise.

FYI, your light uses 5A in North America and 2.5A in Europe :).

13. Or 5 amps when powered by 110 and 2.5 amps when hooked up to 220v in north America.

SignSmoker

14. [quote name='"stevieblaze21"']How much did it cost to add the outlets? what did you tell the contractor it was for, if you didn't do it yourself that is :p?[/quote]

For us to add 8 outlets with 80 amps....cost was about $30 give or take a few bucks.
    We used all metal boxes and conduit as well as 10 gauge wire right from the breaker.
    Had breakers already.

SignSmoker