Okay, I am going to grow outdoors this year. Need some help and stories...Please Read

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by cdubgrady1, Mar 28, 2009.

1. #1 cdubgrady1, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2009
    1. If people feel like sharing, I would like to hear some failure stories of people growing outdoors so I know what and what not to do.

2. Personally, I have a spot picked out:

I am a member to a very private pond in the SE US. It is a members-only place and is no where near as popular as it was years ago, so no one really goes out there anymore; HOWEVER, occasionally, a party is held about once every couple of months. Anyway, there is an island way out towards the back of the pond that is only accessible by boat. I was thinking of clearing out a small area in the middle of the island to plant a few seeds. The island is completely covered in trees and vines, and is very small, about 50 feet long by 20 feet wide, and thus pretty hard to walk around on. Most people don't get out on the boats unless they are going to fish, and most people who go there don't end up fishing, except for me and a few friends. In fact, it might be so troublesome to access that I question whether I would be able to devote time to growing it. So anyway, my next questions are, is this a good place to plant, and would I need to devote more than three-four days/week to going out there to check on them? Basically, someone would need a key to get in the place (which, if they're not/don't know a member, is virtually impossible to get), a boat, some paddles, some really good eyesight, probably some boots, and a whole bunch of luck (which, hopefully, will not be the case).

3. Ok, I just thought of one more thing; since this is a pond, and there will be some swampy areas near the back, should I try growing there? In other words, will swampy mud-like soil have more nutrients than normal soil and promote better growth (good), or will it affect the taste or quality of the buds (bad), or would it be like kicking a dead horse (no affect). I'm still sticking to the island idea, but I would also like to spread the crops out and explore different choices.

4. How long does it take to grow from start to finish? I really have a maximum of only 3 months (May til beginning of August), but there is a chance I could start earlier; the frosts where I live don't stop until around mid April any how. More specifically, how long will it take from ordering the seeds to harvesting the buds?

Thanks.

2. I wouldn't go out there four times a week, because that could seem suspicious to some. I would say you only need to go out there once maybe twice a week at the most to check on them, but make sure once they do start growing, to keep some sort of fence around them, keeping rodents and deer from eating them. Good luck

3. K thanks. Really the only thing that could make it to the island would be a snake (in fact, its called Snake Island), but I do know of geese nesting there as well, hopefully they won't cause too much of a problem. Also, I would be going fishing out there quite a bit anyway during the week, so hopefully it won't seem too suspicious.

4. Sounds a real private spot. Good luck with it.

5. Very sarcastic.

6. Don't you have any other spots around? That sounds like a bad idea to me.

7. First, I haven't started growing, so the locations are still all up in the air. Second, why doesn't it sound like a good spot to you? I'm not angry, I just want to get this down to almost perfect.

8. Well, you say its a private lake? And other people go there? Any place where other people go is generally a bad idea to plant.

Plus, isn't this place owned by somone else? Another bad idea. Don't ever plant on someone else's property.

If you've honestly never seen ANYONE go to this island, then forget what I just said. Go for it.

9. Keep it simple! You can't ride a boat several times a week I think to check for your plots. Plus if there are people nearby... You could find a stealthy, wet spot in an unfrequented island though and do this:

From Guerilla Greens (an experienced grower):

"I just cut the bottoms out of 20 gallon rubbermaid totes and jam them down a couple inches in the mucky swamp. I just break up the swampy ground first with a shovel and there should be just a little standing water in the spot you break up. Then I just put one coco coir block in each tote. I mix in a few gallons of top soil, a pound of worm castings, a pound of tropical bat guano, and a half cup of dolomite lime. I just mix it all up and plant".

10. Actually, I wasn´t intending to be (for once). The very small island, with no real attraction for people, only accessible by boat, does actually sound a good idea.

11. 1. Well since its gonna be summer time, I will probably be out there fishing quite a bit, no less than once a week, but, weather permitting, probably more like 2-3 times a week. But I see what your saying.

2. I think I like this idea...is there another thread that discusses this in more detail, like maybe with pics and the like?

12. thinkin you'll be good on deer bro considerin its an island haha

13. See the site unleashdagreen. That's where Greens posted his pics. He pm'd me this info so I don't think he elaborated much more.

14. You do know deer swim right? I hunt them and know how they think. They will eat that shit up like candy, i've seen it before.

15. lol.... the deers wont get his crop:rolleyes:.

Yeah with swampy areas theres too much water and your plants would die if you put them there. But using that method with the tote and the coco coir it keeps the water off the root ball and allows them to drink from the coir. Then you dont gotta water either :D

Good luck.

16. Shit I like the idea of that...minimal effort hahaha