Ok, what the hell is this Grasscity?

Discussion in 'Forum Tech Questions, Problems and Troubleshooting' started by Bootfullofbuds, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dude sorry but none of us can help you with you as it seems you don't accept what is clearly explained to you.
    When you are installing the app , all required permissions are clearly listed.

This is true and EU values privacy way way more then USA. Instead of spending time on threads like this , i suggest US citizens to force their government on stopping spying internet. 

as much as i despise the actions of my gov't.. i'd like to think that they don't really have the time or the money to sit here and worry about people posting on Grasscity..
    and i'd be more worried about posting in political threads than weed growing threads these days..

4. Dude, it was a comparison. I never said they had the patriot act in the Netherlands. Took that way out of context. The patriot act is the biggest ass fucking the American public has taken by the American government. I'm not gonna sit here and explain it to you, google it. But basically they took the word terrorist and warped it into meaning anybody anywhere at any time.

5. #45 Superjoint, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2014
    [quote name="Bootfullofbuds" post="19409167" timestamp="1390744387"]Look man, I'm not tryin to argue with you. You know what you know and so do I. Nothing is really anonymous. There's always a digital paper trail somehow. This all reminds me of carrier IQ in recent years. Just for the record your buddy and you are conflicting. Superjoint said that it's stored but "anonymously". And you still didn't answer my question about what device information is collected? It's that kind of vague double talk that has got us where we are today (ahem... Patriot act?) device information could be a multitude of things, and personally identifiable is by definition completely different than device identifiable.[/quote]If you know what you know, than you should stop visit this forum and stop making use of the information provided here, you are analy focusing on something stupid as quantcast which is absolutely harmless, none the less you are posting on the open forums all your issues and business and you all breaking bad in your tiniest town on the planet earth regarding your privacy issues, you are creating a problem yourself regarding your own privacy and making it my problem, and I call upon your responsibility if you need to protect any dealings of you that need to be private, this is an open forum and we have never pretended otherwise (with the exception of the private forums for paid members), Also you refuse to let sink in what lizard and I posted regarding what we do to protect our servers and our user database, we do our top best effort to do that, that is what our pledge is to our members, if however a goverment agency would like to snoop on our servers ( or most likely our traffic) than I have no doubt that with a budget of over 50 billion usd per year they get access before I can break wind, that said, imho and in the grand scheme of things, and international and financial politics, they could not care less about this place...Sent from a bar, while drinking beers with the Lizard King

6. #46 morange, Jan 26, 2014
    Literally every website has at least one flag pop up in terms of information collection. This is a part of using the internet. However, Grasscity tends to have lower numbers of companies looking for data for advertisement than most other websites. Here's a quick comparison of a few websites:

[​IMG]
    Damn google fuck off

7. You think this is bad.....? Try logging into the "deep web...." Within seconds if your not logged into the onion rooter, and have a very secure VPA, within seconds your shit will be hacked the fuck up by people trying to scam you, and most of all, NSA. The government.And with an iPhone even if you have all this fancy re-routing equipment, you can still be hacked the fudge up because you can't turn java off with the TOR browser on iPhone.Apple claims to be the most secure device on the market.....their very wrong, indeed. And this comes from someone that's typing on an iPhone right now.----Oh? You turned "location settings off" on your apple device? It doesn't matter! I nominate that feature as the most useless setting ever created on a platform

8. Not only is the locations feature completely useless, (day one I have always left it off), but it bugs the absolute shit out of you every 20 minutes with a popup saying "Enable Location Based Tracking to use all the features of this app" or some shit like that. It never, ever stops asking either. I think most people end up checking yes just to get it to leave them alone. Not like it matters though because when I use my tablet with the location sharing turned off, it very 'handily' comes up with local search results.

Fully agreed , i dislike that feature a lot and keep it disabled on my iPhone 

10. #50 Bootfullofbuds, Jan 26, 2014
    I came here for answers, but I'm just gonna drop it because I'm getting frustrated and let this one slide back under the rug where you guys want it to be. But yea, I appreciate you guys, so nicely and not rude at all *sarcasm*, answering my questions about device information that is taken. I understand it's "anonymous" but there is nothing anonymous about an imei or serial #. If you would just tell me what device information is gathered and it proves to be Unidentifiable I will gladly proclaim that the grasscity forum app is safe for people in illegal areas to use without worry of their cell phone information being snagged AND I will formally apologize to anyone, hell, just for a good laugh I will even send you a beautiful calligraphed apology letter written with a quill and have 2 dozen roses delivered to GC headquarters. HALike I said "personal indentifiers" and "device identifiers" are not the same by definition in the English language or the law no matter what country you are from. When it says personal identifiers are anonymous and doesn't say shit about device information or even what, in that broad category, are they taking, then I asked here, and even you guys don't wanna tell me? That's a red flag in my mind. This is a classic example of double talk. The saying "read the fine print" doesn't just mean read the small words. It means look for loopholes like this. And the statement "non-personally identifiable" is clearly a loophole, it makes it even more clear when it vaguely says "device information" and doesn't elaborate. What I'm getting at is they are telling the "truth", they won't take any of your personal info of course, but all that device info that's ripe for the taking WILL be taken, and that device information COULD be used to identify us personally, but that's not their fault. Quantcast would be liable for damages if they sold your personal information, but in the real world, the cell phone you hold in your hands doesn't have any rights. They "clearly" said they were taking your device information. WHAT they are taking is the question I want answeredGrasscity is in the Netherlands, but Quantcast is in San Francisco. If 99.9% of websites use this data collection advertisement crap, how could that possibly go unnoticed by the prying eyes over in Maryland at the NSA? Nobody else finds it strange that this seemingly intricate service Quantcast offers is free? How do they make their money?? **hint** most likely selling our information. Hmmmm... How many blondes does it take to figure out who the top bidder is? Big government of course. They have so much "money" when they run out, they just print more. And you guys wanna beat around the bush with me, I just want to know what device information is collected. I deleted the GC app as SOON as I found this .plist you had hidden, pretty well I might add.. So I am not really concerned for my safety anymore, I really posted this to make people aware. Logically, we aren't happy about it, and logically, you defend this forum with everything you have because, after all, you are the worlds largest online headshop, above a forum, a business. Profits are ultimately all that matters, the only reason you guys do this forum is for advertisement apparently. I understand that "the EU is all about privacy", and I really hate to say this but the NSA is out of control and nobody seems to be doing anything about it. They've been caught spying on German gov, GB, and a few others. So even though the EU may be "concerned about security", that doesn't mean their security is any good, actually it's quite the contrary. Apparently It sucks if the NSA somehow got a bug in the German prime ministers office! The NSA spies on us, their own people!They dump millions of dollars into cracking even the most up to date methods of encryption, hiring security research companies to find bugs in software like internet explorer, etc and use it as a backdoor. I know they are caching thousands of terabytes worth of data A DAY. They don't seem to be stopping anytime soon. The FBI then uses this information to conduct it's investigations. I know this doesn't relate to you over at Grasscity at all, but I just felt like I should share. Just because you "don't feel like the NSA would be worried about a weed forum" doesn't mean that they can't or won't. Wake up people. This is the digital age. They are miles ahead of any technology that we will have even for the next 10 years. That's what "infinite" money will do for you. Apparently I'm not the only one that was clueless about this Quantcast judging by the responses. Maybe you guys should do a better job of letting us know that our information is being taken truly "anonymous" or not. Ultimately, I know it is my choice to post here, but it IS a lot safer than walking around trying to find somebody with the answers to your growing questions, but I don't like politician double talk especially when I was under the impression that I was completely 100% anonymous on here, then I dig around in your app and find this, that they are taking not just app usage data or anything simple like that, I wouldn't even waste my time TYPING ALL THIS CRAP over something like that but red words here are city and the very vague "device information". Since you are real people after all you should have no problem putting yourself in my shoes. What would you have done? Silently decided that you just weren't gonna use the anymore or inform the others that were in the dark like you? Edward Snowden thought it was a good idea to inform the people in the dark. Now we know it's happening and still nothing can be done about it. That's when you know it's a messed up situation. And if he wouldn't have ran to Russia, he would have been dead before anybody even knew his name. Honestly, show of hands, who here really read the freakin privacy policy? Nobody in their right mind would join a place like this with the knowledge that they collect device information. Like I said this could be 20 different things that could ultimately lead someone smart enough back to us, no matter how "anonymous" or "encrypted". Rephrase: "device information" could be 20+ different numbers and somebody smart enough could easily track you down using just about any of them. Especially true with udid, ecid, imei, serial, even wireless data ip addresses. And since you want to act like you're all safe because you don't live in America, do yourself a favor and google U.N. Agenda 21. Rant over. Consider the topic closed. But there's 2 reasons why you won't tell me what "device information" is taken, #1: you really don't have a freakin clue or #2 you don't want us to know about it. Good day fellas.

11. Sorry but if your doing something illegal, and your posting about it on the Internet.....one would assume that's a terrible decision That is the silliest thing I have ever read (almost...) it's like posting your grow status on Facebook....when you're illegally cultivating lolA little common sense goes a long way when your on the Internet. THERE IS NO PRIVACY ON THE INTERNET!Let me say it again.....THERE IS NO PRIVACY ON ANY WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET!It reminds if of the funny South Park episode.....where you click on the "I've read the terms and agreements and I click here to agree....." Dude didn't you read the terms and conditions here? Lol obviously not

Dude , everything is listed on your phone , why should i or SJ spend our time on Sunday to educate you on things that you choose NOT to read. 

Also let me clear this for you , no stat software can gather your device serial or imei information and any service we use don't have access to that neither do we.

14. [quote name="ParanoiaKills" post="19409468" timestamp="1390750576"]Sorry but if your doing something illegal, and your posting about it on the Internet.....one would assume that's a terrible decision That is the silliest thing I have ever read (almost...) it's like posting your grow status on Facebook....when you're illegally cultivating lolA little common sense goes a long way when your on the Internet. THERE IS NO PRIVACY ON THE INTERNET!Let me say it again.....THERE IS NO PRIVACY ON ANY WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET!It reminds if of the funny South Park episode.....where you click on the "I've read the terms and agreements and I click here to agree....." Dude didn't you read the terms and conditions here? Lol obviously not[/quote]Haha look at you trying to make a joke. First off, apparently, according to these 2, this place is as anonymous as it gets. 2nd, dude, you and the millions of people who think like you are exactly the reason we are in the situation we are in right now. There SHOULD be privacy on the internet, but there's always a group of people like you who just bend over and take it without a problem. Somebody says there's no privacy on the internet and you don't give a damn, today it's "oh well, there's no privacy online", tomorrow it's "oh well, there's no privacy in my living room" think I'm joking? Keep being naive and see where that gets you. Nice South Park reference, but I didn't realize that such a trustworthy place as GC would keep such things hidden from us.

15. I do exactly this kind of work for a living and will gladly answer any questions you have to data that is collected on websites.

I deal with Quantcast, Comscore, Audience Science, Google and many other companies on a regular basis, so if you have a question ask and I'll answer you as accurately and straightforward as possible. Just be forewarned that I'm sitting here nursing a hangover so keep the posts a bit short or I'll probably end up losing track of your question as I read.

This is LIE

Fyi : I recall it as a lie because it has been explained you several times.

Anyway this thread ran it's course , and if you'll continue to make false claims about GC , your existence on his community will be terminated by me 

17. #57 Superjoint, Jan 26, 2014
    Pffff dude nothing is hidden here dude , its right here in front of your nose.... Only you want us to be the crusaders of the free private internet, this internet is not free and you are doing nothing to make it better, instead you are complaining here, expecting all our services to be free and not spending a dime on us to (if needed) to make it better, you're the dude smoking all my weed without giving back....... FreeridersSent from a bar, while drinking beers with the Lizard King

18. #58 Superjoint, Jan 26, 2014
    Pfffff seriously????

be my guest, instead of deleting your whole app, you might as well opt out for their cookies.......

Quantcast Opt-Out Page

What information is Quantcast tracking?
    Quantcast says all its tracking is anonymous, accessing when, from where and at what time a browser loads its web beacon. "Quantcast only models anonymous records of internet usage. Quantcast does not intentionally collect any personally identifiable information – that is, information that could be used to uniquely identify or locate an individual."
    On its website, Quantcast says it uses statistical modelling to "build a translation of cookies to people". Part of the aim of this approach is to counteract the issue that some people who access sites on multiple devices, or delete cookies regularly, may be counted more than once.
    Quantcast say it does this by looking at patterns such as how often browsers are visiting the site, and how often they are likely to visit at home and work to infer how many "real" people are accessing a website.
    However, it does not obtain information that relates back to specific individuals. What Quantcast does is build up a profile of a browser's behaviour across all sites using their web beacons (it claims these include over "100m web destinations, including websites, video, widgets, blogs, and advertising campaigns").
    Information that may be captured when browsing a site using Quantcast includes: what page the browser was on; what searches were typed into the website search; the time the browser was on the website. This information, or "log data", is then used to build a profile of different types or "segments" of browsers.
    In 2010, Quantcast paid $2.4m to settle a class action lawsuit alleging it used Flash cookies to reset tracking cookies after users deleted them. The firm stopped using Flash cookies in 2009, after research by The University of California Berkley identified the practice and it was publicised in the media.
    Is the data sold to third parties?
    In its privacy policy, Quantcast says it may share log data and aggregated information with third parties. These include:
    - companies employed to support Quantcast services.
    - companies that provide delivery and measurement of ad campaigns.
    This data would be used for such things as industry analysis and targeting adverts.

Evidon factsheet on Quantcast
    Quantcast Privacy Policy

Closing the thread now, we had enough "saving humanity for total disaster" for one day...... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.