Official World Cup 2006 Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by WookiesAreCool, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Is 'futbal' like french or something. Or do you guys mean 'futbol' (spanish).

Any predictions on the US v. Czech Republic? The Czechs may have a good chacnce.

2. how can you say there's no raw intensity in hockey? i mean soccer is the bigger sport and that's why there's more emotion behind it. however i'd have to take hockey over soccer when it comes to intensity.

3. the u.s. has never done well on european soil. will be interesting to see.

btw has anyone seen the nike commercial (jugar bonita) where they are talking about u.s. soccer? it made me feel good inside to see the line "america, the world no longer looks forward to playing you"

4. im not saying theres no raw intensity, as far as intensity goes theres probably more in hockey, but what im saying is something you really have to think about,technological ice skates compared to natural on foot sprinting, whats more humane? it's just more real raw intensity, when thinking about pushing the natural human physical characteristic barrier beyond it's lengths. no ice skates no hockey sticks, no pads restricting your ability, free as can be.

5. yeah but i'm not allowed to use my hands in soccer, so really only half of my body is being worked.

p.s. yeah i know that the previous statement is bullshit, i'm just playing devil's advocate. i like both sports. if i had my choice i'd take soccer, however there's not enough coverage and the quality of play is too poor on north america.

6. i strongly disagree, how old are you and what have you played? i myself am 18 and played soccer my whole life at the 2nd highest level, provincial. i've played in the super 'y' league for elite youths where i've travelled to america to play state teams such as portland and washington, theres deffiently good quality soccer in north america, just not as many players to contest with, and not as many leagues therefore lowering the standard, like in england and europe, way more 'good' soccer players, just as good players in canada and america but not as many, and when they come together which is what i played ( 'y' league ), it's fucking unreal. i personally don't think theres enough scouting around u.s.a. and canada, mostly canada, which is why we suck so bad, if we had scouts that depicted good potential players at a young age they could take those kids and train them through a higher level and getting them better so the true skilled players could be found, i think theres way to many potentially good players that just are never discovered. like a player from a vancouver metro team never got discovered until he was in university playing for portland (josh simpson) he was discovered by millwall when they were on a trip to the states, and thats just 1, think about how many more there could have been if trained higher skill-wise at a young age, lack of scouting i might add. ever find it ironic that canada is so good at hockey with such a small population? 2 words, scouting and training.

7. i want either the USA :)laughing:) or Mexico :)rolleyes:) to win......

8. Lol usa aint gonna win anytime soon.

Tomorrow's schedule for espn:

Jun 12 12:00 ET\tUnited States v Czech Republic\t

Jun 12 15:00 ET\tItaly v Ghana\t

Jun 12 09:00 ET\tAustralia v Japan\t

tomorrow will be interesting.

9. ok, these are my predictions, about 6 or 7 hours before these first round games start on june 12.

australia 2-1 japan
    czech. 1-1 united states
    italy 2-0 ghana

ill probably forget my predictions by tomrow so ill come back here and see if i have bragging rights.

these games are played on t.v. in the afternoon in B.C. but i choose to stay up all night to watch them at 6 am. don't worry, i have chronic.

10. i'm 23 and i played varsity in high school (left midfield).

yes the quality of play is poor (the atmosphere of the mls is like a short season a baseball game) and the talent pool is thin. look at where all of our best players go. EUROPE. the MLS, which is supposed to be the top flight in north america (the mexican leagues are probably better, but who the fuck wants to play in mexico full time?) is probably on the same level as the english second division.

believe me, i'd love to see soccer take off in the united states. i just don't see it happening. espn loves the nba too much.

11. There is no money invested in the game in the US, it all goes into baseball and American football which noone else plays.

THe US team is only a token effort, they will not get past the first round.

As usual.

And the Czech Republic thrashed the US 3 - 0

12. It is called football. Us British named it that because you hit the ball with your foot. Like we invented it.

And I predict the Czechs will win 3 - 0

13. and that's why the quality of play here is piss poor, and always will be.

p.s. i like your signature.

14. I'm actually a pretty big soccer fan, I'm getting real into the cup.

my team's ireland but they didn't make it... so I'm rooting for ukraine.

15. Im watching italy vs ghana, italy in the lead with 1 goal, but italy seems sluggish, like their players are bored, idk.

16. hey spanishfly, how come u said czech won 3-0 then ur like i predict 3-0, huh? what?

i would have had bragging rights if usa wasnt such a dissapointment, i thought if reyna would have scored then usa would have tied it 1-1 like i said, but he hit the post, and the usa pretty much never had a better chance then that, they stopped marking tight and let in a weak 30 yard goal, rozicky was thrashing the usa, usa needed to have tighter marking and more technical strategic play, they seemed tired when they were on the attack, i seen players walking and thats just something you don't see out of otther teams.

but i still was right with australia vs japan and italy vs ghana, well now heres tomorrows predictions for june 13.

ps. anyone that wants to predict games before would be best, not after the games finished, lol spanishfly.

togo 0-0 korea
    france 2-1 switzerland
    brazil 3-0 croatia

17. Italy 2 - 0 Ghana

18. I say

togo 0-1 korea
    france 3-1 switzerland
    brazil 2-0 croatia

19. i think the USA played good, as did Ghana...the difference is that the other teams have high caliber 'matadores'......they dont let go in any op. while ghana and us failed countless times to score.

Some surprises like ecuador 2-0 to poland. And ivory coast played excellent, so did trinida and tobago....i guess in trinidad they are giving away some ganja till next game:D

20. Ukraine all the way!!!! I really hope Shevchenko can play vs Spain