Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Official Pot's Not Bad, It's Too Potent, Grower Says

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by kristoperobin1, May 18, 2002.

1. Canada

Prairie Plant Mad About Health Canada Damaging Its Reputation

OTTAWA -- The company that grows Canada's official marijuana supply says the weed has turned out to be too potent.

The marijuana is not bad -- the problem is that it is too good, Prairie Plant Systems said in a letter Wednesday to Health Minister Anne McLellan.

Company president Brent Zettl is mad about the company's "damaged reputation" arising from McLellan's revelations that the project to give pot to sick Canadians is delayed because the supply is impure.

"Prairie Plant has respected the Health Canada request to not speak to the media regarding this project," wrote Zettl.

"We request that Health Canada respond to these false reports in order to maintain the integrity of the project and begin repairing the damage these negative reports have created," he wrote.

McLellan said last week that the distribution of marijuana for medicinal purposes is behind schedule because the first crop of nearly 2,000 plants contains 185 different kinds of pot.

The seeds came from marijuana seized by police after the National Institute of Drug Abuse in the U.S. refused to share seeds it cultivates for scientific research.

"As you are aware, this project has been fraught with many unforeseen logistical issues," wrote Zettl.

"Most interestingly, virtually all the strains we have tested appear to be better in quality than the U.S. NIDA material. In most cases, the strains under development have significantly higher cannabinoids levels."

THC ( tetrahydrocannabinol, which is the most critical chemical in marijuana ) is commonly two times greater in concentration than the U.S. stuff, Zettl said.

The government gave a $5.7-million contract to Prairie Plant Systems to grow the marijuana at a mine in Flin Flon, Man.

In his letter, Zettl asked for the contract to be amended so that Health Canada can receive the stronger-than-expected pot.

Andrew Swift, a spokesman for Health Canada, said the department wants to test the stronger marijuana before deciding whether it will change the contract to buy more potent pot.

The current contract calls for THC levels of five-to-six per cent, he said. Zettl says a concentration of 9.5-11 per cent would be "more appropriate for clinical research material."

The government is now having its pot tested to find the best strain so that a quality, standardized seed can be used for the second crop of plants.

McLellan has said the government has an obligation to ensure that the marijuana it provides people is of a consistent quality. Without a standardized crop, she said, researchers monitoring the patients would have no way of knowing whether marijuana is having the desired effects.

Until then, sick Canadians who were approved to smoke marijuana and were counting on the official supply will have to wait.

2. That is too bad. I'll take that shit if it is too strong for the other people. I just won't have to dsmoke near as much!!!!!

3. u would think they'd want stronger weed....so that the patients dont have to smoke as much(less damage to lungs)

4. Aren't the strongest skunks something like 18% THC or something like that? 11% sounds a bit soft to me!

5. I agree with Bud Head...I'll take it. If it's too strong for them...give it to me. I can't wait until that starts flowing into the US! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Peace,
    [​IMG]

6. It won't... not from Canada... dude US denied Canada seeds... so we say " Fuck em EH "

And btw... it says they used seeds from seizures... I'm pretty sure you guys have pretty much the same strains being grown indoors down there in USA anyways.. ahha.

7. Shit hits the fan when people do their job too well. :confused_2:

8. you mean i can be getting twice as high!?:eek:

9. Canadian Medicinal Weed. Only had a try, but I'll tell you: That shit blew me away. Quality at it's best. I'm stuck wondering what they ended up doing with all that overly potent bud...

10. I sometimes get to smoke the odd medicinal joint from one particular friend here, and yeah its to the point where you can feel yourself get high. Not that uh oh god im baked feeling give me dirty burger asap but to the point where if you wanted to talk about something- you just wouldn't be able to put together the sentence to express it. BC Bud is the bomb.

11. We all knew this would happen. Now THC levels are going to purposely be kept low.

12. Seems like the people who'd need the potency aren't going to be getting it unless they find another means, which, is not a very hard thing to do.