Official Canada On Legalization/Decriminalization Of Marijuana Thread

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Purple Stoner, Nov 28, 2012.

1. #1 Purple Stoner, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2012
    What's goin on blades?
    I saw acouple threads here talking about legalization of marijuana in canada so being a canadian myself I thought I'd throw a few facts out there! :)
    Enjoy.
    As always if you have anything you would like to add to this thread and have a valid source please post away! :)

I'll start off with Federal, provincial will be added later.

Liberals

The Canadian Liberal Party, at a biannual Party convention, voted on Jan 15 to support the legalization of marijuana. The party, severely trounced in the last election in May of 2011, was seeking to get attention across the country and may have done so.
    “There is no doubt that there’s a strong will from the membership to have this part of our election platform,” Samuel Lavoie, the president of the Young Liberals of Canada, told reporters on the convention floor in Ottawa. “As to whether it will be a platform commitment in 2015, we will see.”

"The Liberal Party of Canada has voted to legalize pot.
    Seventy-seven per cent of delegates at the Liberals' biennial convention told their party's leadership Sunday morning that they want a future Liberal government to legalize marijuana.
    Their interim leader Bob Rae acknowledged the war on drugs hasn’t worked, but told reporters the party's caucus would have to study the implications of the resolution."

As you can tell from the quotes above, the liberal party is supportive of marijuana being legalized on a federal level to a certain degree.

Sources:
    Liberal Convention 2012: Federal Grits Vote To Legalize Marijuana
    Canada's Liberal Party votes to support legalizing marijuana

Progressive Conservative

"Prime Minister Stephen Harper says his government will never agree to the decriminalization of marijuana.

Harper's comments came Friday in Vancouver in response to a question at a brief news conference following an event at a downtown science centre.
    "No, it will not happen under our government," Harper said. “We're very concerned about the spread of drugs in the country and the damage it's doing and as you know we have legislation before the House [of Commons] to crack down."

"The Global Commission on Drug Policy says it’s “very weird” that Canada is taking a tougher line on marijuana when governments across the globe are reconsidering the war on drugs.
    In an open letter Wednesday to Prime Minister Stephen Harper, the Brazil-based commission calls on Canada to stop pursuing the “destructive, expensive and ineffective” prohibition of pot.
    Louise Arbour, a former Supreme Court of Canada judge, former Brazilian president Fernando Cardoso, former Swiss president Ruth Dreifuss and Virgin Group founder Richard Branson are among the signatories to the letter that warns Canada is repeating “the same grave mistakes as other countries.”

As you can see the current conservative leader of canada on a federal level is against marijauna for whatever reason.

Sources: Stephen Harper repeating same old mistakes with tougher pot laws, global group says - thestar.com
    Harper says no decriminalization of pot on his watch - British Columbia - CBC News

NDP

"Thomas Mulcair is clearing the air on pot, clarifying that he doesn’t believe anyone should go to jail for possessing a couple of joints.
    The freshly minted NDP leader created confusion about his party’s position recently when he said decriminalization of marijuana would be a mistake.
    But it appears he was actually referring to outright legalization of marijuana.
    “Terms like legalization and decriminalization are often inappropriately used interchangeably,” Mulcair spokesman George Soule said Friday.
    “But be very clear that Thomas Mulcair does not believe that anyone should be going to jail for possession of just a small amount of pot. Criminalization is not the answer for any area of social policy.”

May I start off by saying R.I.P former leader of NDP Federal Jack Layton.
    The current leader believes decriminalization is a possibility and supports it to a degree.

Federal Summary

If were looking towards marijuana being legalized or decriminalized were probably not going to see it with stephen harper as leader.
    The liberals and ndp seem to have a higher possibility of decriminalizing then the conservatives.

The People

Now you may be wondering,
    do canadian citizens even want marijuana to be legal?

Canadians have green on their minds, but not in the environmental sense, according to a new poll.
    Released on Tuesday, the poll suggests 66% of Canadians are in favour of the legalization or decriminalization of marijuana, with just 20% supporting leaving the laws as they are now.
    The poll, conducted by Toronto-based Forum Research Inc., showed that residents of British Columbia were the most likely to support marijuana laws reform, with 73% of respondents indicating laws should be changed. Quebec had the lowest support for reforms, though the majority of respondents, 61%, supported changing marijuana legislation.

Source: Majority of Canadians support legalizing or decriminalizing marijuana, new poll suggests | Canada | News | National Post

PROVINCIAL IS COMING SOON! :)

2. #2 Hart, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
    Wanted to get the first post and say thank you for creating this thread.

Cannabis is so tolerated in Canada yet very illegal.. I pray we see a turn in our laws sooner then later. Hopefully we also see a verdict on the Mergnah case too. Exciting time for Canada as I feel we're close to legalization/decriminalization.

3. I have a feeling there's going to be a certain joy when Harper gets out of office.

4. I assume so haha. :smoking:

5. #5 grass man420, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2012
    i can hardly wait until Canada decides to legalize it. i have waited years for such a day.

Harper is a disgrace to Canada. he signed a bill stating that reporters reporting on environmental conditions must first talk to the gubmint about it so they can censor it. not only is he an idiot about the drug policy his environmental policies are distasteful as well. what else should we expect from a politician, he just follows the money.

after all, politician translates to many bloodsuckers.

6. Green Party of Canada

“It is nice to see another party come in line with Green Party policy. We have said for years that we should be regulating and taxing marijuana and freeing up our police resources to fight real crime,” said Green Leader Elizabeth May, MP for Saanich-Gulf Islands.

"The Green Party recommends the following actions:

• Legalize marijuana by removing marijuana from the drug schedule.

• Create a regulatory framework for the safe production of marijuana by small, independent growers.

• Develop a taxation rate for marijuana similar to that of tobacco.

• Establish the sale of marijuana to adults for medicinal or personal use through licensed distribution outlets.

• Educate the public about the health threats of marijuana, tobacco and other drug use.

• Provide increased funding to safe injection sites, treatment facilities and addict rehabilitation which have now proven to be economically and socially in the best interests of the country."

Source: Greens welcome new Liberal marijuana policy

7. Ok, I vote for the Green party! The platform I like that stands out above the others is allowing "small, independant" growers to produce. The current scheme by HealthCanada is to allow a more corporate atmosphere to produce the medical cannabis that will be sold through pharmacies. The "little guy" has no shot at getting a licence to produce as the requirements to start an approved grow op are much too expensive for a small grower without a huge financial backer. This puts thousands of experienced master growers back into the realm of illegal activity if they wish to continue growing. Not only that, thousands of current growers who have invested lots of dollars to legally produce medical grade pot for legal medical patients will be banned from growing and also become "criminals" if they continue to grow.

8. I would rather risk the black market than trust Health Canada, because they have proven time and time again that they don't care about the satisfaction of patients at all. Their latest scheme is nothing but shuffling papers around trying to look busy without actually accomplishing anything useful. :p

9. I suspect healthCanada is laying the groundwork for a total legalization scheme. Once the kinks have been ironed out of the medical distribution, and the corporate run producers have upgraded to mega facilities, it is a simple step to move sales to government controlled liquor outlets... This is similar to what Washington State is attempting only without the corporate control over production. (Which I support)

10. Honestly its ridiculous. Canada is supposed to be a new, better country with better ideas. Fuck you Harper.

11. Haha the Canadian legalization thread has 10 replies, 11 now

It makes sense; there aren't too many heads up here that care about legalization. Weed's cheap and easy to get, nobody I know has ever had any legal trouble with it minus the dealers, so fuck it i'm fine with how it is right now

12. I don't think anything will happen in Canada until the US legalizes it. The rest of the world will probably take our lead once we do that. But until we do, the sanctions that the US would place on any Country like Canada would probably be too much. Thats why I think it has to happen in the US first before anyone else to think about it.

13. Agreed rizzi30. Bush proved that the last time canada was having the discussion. Bush stepped in and to my amazement Canada stuck their tail between their legs and stood down. That was a sad moment for me.

14. Harper should keep his submissive tendencies in the bedroom where they belong, instead of bending over and presenting his rear to every nation that growls. Er wait, no, his rear is safe, he's pimping out Canada's ass and we're paying him to. :mad:

15. I do live in the states, but you gotta believe that any of us U.S. citizens would love it if you guys north of the border were to legalize it. I just don't see it happening until we do it down here first.

16. I think Canada will legalize within 5 yrs. 1st it needs to iron out its production/distribution scheme. They are doing this with medicinal as we speak. 2nd, I think the US may have 6-10 states who are legalize frontrunners and break the ice so Canada feels more comfortable with such a big move. It is comming.

17. With the new MMPR, even if people have their production license, they have to buy all their seeds from Health Canada.  Now what the fuck does health Canada know about agriculture .. let alone cannabis.  They have dicked around for years making it near impossible for doctors to sign MMAR forms.. they cant be trusted and have no business dictating how an entire new industry should be run, when they fail time and time again in the business they specialize in.  

The stupidity that is going on at all levels of government is disgusting.  They need to get off this wild idea that they have the knowledge to make every decision for the masses and parent them.  It shouldnt take decades and decades to legalize this medicine.. its a NO BRAINER.  Anyone who would take 10 mins to actually do some reading on the subject would be a fool for even considering stripping peoples freedom.  

I am one frustrated fuckr lol 
    As far as a political party.. I appreciate the original poster providing party stances, but I am afraid as long as government has their mitts all over this, they will do nothing but continue to fuck up.  

18. I don't understand why some people are cynical about legalization, worrying about corporations getting involved. There's quite a few "big" growers supplying Amsterdam, and nobody complains there.

A lot of black-market growers only care about profits, and don't give a damn about the QUALITY of what they're growing. And we don't have much of a choice in what strain we can get.

If I can eventually buy quality-controlled weed in liquor stores, and have access to a dozen strains, I'm for it (hopefully the prices will stay the same or lower, because of companies competing)